Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Standard protocol for selling redemption cards on eBay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I sold a redemption card tonight on eBay via best offer and I realized that this was my first time selling a redemption card. I offer free shipping on my cards, but I thought it might be easier to contact the seller first to see if he would just like the code instead of me mailing the card. He said that he would like the code so he can redeem it right away and go ahead and mail the card as well in case he has any issue with Topps. Now I wouldn't have any problems with this, but I know there are some shady characters in the world I would hate it if he redeemed it and then claimed when he got it that it had already been redeemed. How do you guys do it? Just trying to protect my back here.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Depens on the price of the auction. If its pretty cheap Id send the code.... if not... ship the redemption.

When I bought cheap redemptions Id ask if they wanted to just send the codes via email and Ill leave positive feedback once I see the codes worked.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Always leery about this. On one hand you email the code and he claims it didn't work once he gets the card. Or he could wait for the card, scratch it, and then return it saying it was already gone.

I hate redemptions...

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
to complicate it even more......sometimes companies (topps and panini) dont have the redemption codes live when the product is released. so when its keyed in, it looks bogus. ::facepalm::

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
As the other posters have already said...redemptions are very tricky to deal with and to me there is only one thing that factors in how I deal with them...buyer feedback. If the guys got 1000 feedback and 100%, he isn't going to screw you, but if the feedback is somewhat shady at all, take all the precautions necessary it'll be more of a hassle for you but you'll cover your back that way. If his feedback is strong I say email him the code and mail the redemption.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
homerun28aa said:
As the other posters have already said...redemptions are very tricky to deal with and to me there is only one thing that factors in how I deal with them...buyer feedback. If the guys got 1000 feedback and 100%, he isn't going to screw you, but if the feedback is somewhat shady at all, take all the precautions necessary it'll be more of a hassle for you but you'll cover your back that way. If his feedback is strong I say email him the code and mail the redemption.

I disagree.

BUYER feedback will 99.9% of the time look spotless. Sellers can't leave negative feedbacks any longer.

It comes down to trust - do you trust the buyer to not say the code didn't work?

Bottom line is, I'm not comfortable selling any redemption more valuable than, say, a Diamond Giveaway code... if there's a guaranteed card coming to me, I'll put the card in the redemption pot and see what I can get out of it. With a little luck, Topps wont' get the card and I can get a decent substitute. Happened with some Darin Mastrionni refractor autos recently...

Members online

Latest posts