Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do I fix this server problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I accidentally changed the board style on my laptop to the mobile style, completely by accident. But now when I try to go to the FCB forum on my computer it just says the page can't be found and the server is not responding when its obviously not the server it is only happening because I changed to the mobile board style on my laptop. Is there any way I can get the site back from my laptop? I'm accessing FCB from my phone right now.

Thanks for any help.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
homerun28aa said:
I accidentally changed the board style on my laptop to the mobile style, completely by accident. But now when I try to go to the FCB forum on my computer it just says the page can't be found and the server is not responding when its obviously not the server it is only happening because I changed to the mobile board style on my laptop. Is there any way I can get the site back from my laptop? I'm accessing FCB from my phone right now.

Thanks for any help.

clearing cookies should do it

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
cgilmo said:
homerun28aa said:

Thanks for any help.

clearing cookies should do it

I deleted cookies, emptied cache, reset safari, tried to get on with google chrome and also logged into a different user account. None of those worked for loading the site on my laptop. Right now I'm on my iPhone and using the 3G wifi that's the only way I can get on.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I'm using my neighbor's WIFI right now, and it is working, just not working on my wifi, ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: , wonder how I could fix this.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I have the same problem on my wifi as well.

I switched to the new board style and now i can no longer get on.

A_Pharis

homerun28aa said:
I'm using my neighbor's WIFI right now, and it is working, just not working on my wifi, ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: , wonder how I could fix this.

So you can't access the site on your wifi via PC or phone? Are there any other sites you can't access? try Googling some different terms ans see if the results give you redirects. Your router's DNS may be hijacked. There's a few viruses going around that do it.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
A_Pharis said:
homerun28aa said:

So you can't access the site on your wifi via PC or phone? Are there any other sites you can't access? try Googling some different terms ans see if the results give you redirects. Your router's DNS may be hijacked. There's a few viruses going around that do it.

It happened to both of us when we changed the style of the forum.

FCB is the only site I can't get on, and I can't get on it on any device I own. (I am on a different computer/wifi now)

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
vwnut13 said:
A_Pharis said:
homerun28aa said:

FCB is the only site I can't get on, and I can't get on it on any device I own. (I am on a different computer/wifi now)

Yep exactly that, I changed the style and can't get on FCB when connected to my home wifi from either my laptop or my phone. Right now I am on my laptop, but I am using my neighbor's WIFI there is one room where it works perfectly in.

A_Pharis

homerun28aa said:
vwnut13 said:
A_Pharis said:
homerun28aa said:

Yep exactly that, I changed the style and can't get on FCB when connected to my home wifi from either my laptop or my phone. Right now I am on my laptop, but I am using my neighbor's WIFI there is one room where it works perfectly in.

Did you change your style back now that you are on your neighbor's WiFi?

The reason I say this is because there's no link between a forum's theme and your wifi connection blocking the site. If it were the theme affecting anything on your PC, then you wouldn't be able to log on - period. The fact that you can use your laptop on your neighbor's wifi means that the determining factor is your wifi - not your PC/phone. It honestly sounds like coincidence and that something is wrong elsewhere. If I were you, the first thing that I would do is connect my laptop to my router with a Cat5e cable, reset the router to factory settings and set it back up (takes less than 5 minutes). Be sure to change your router's administrative login (not your wifi login - the actual device login). There is an infection going around that exploits people's routers by processing a list of default administrative logins.

I have to agree with Chris, though, there's no way changing a theme is going to affect your internet connection unless it affects how your laptop connects. If that were the case, you wouldn't be using your laptop on your neighbor's wifi, either.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
A_Pharis said:
homerun28aa said:
vwnut13 said:
[quote="A_Pharis":26nefp7p]
homerun28aa said:

Did you change your style back now that you are on your neighbor's WiFi?

The reason I say this is because there's no link between a forum's theme and your wifi connection blocking the site. If it were the theme affecting anything on your PC, then you wouldn't be able to log on - period. The fact that you can use your laptop on your neighbor's wifi means that the determining factor is your wifi - not your PC/phone. It honestly sounds like coincidence and that something is wrong elsewhere. If I were you, the first thing that I would do is connect my laptop to my router with a Cat5e cable, reset the router to factory settings and set it back up (takes less than 5 minutes). Be sure to change your router's administrative login (not your wifi login - the actual device login). There is an infection going around that exploits people's routers by processing a list of default administrative logins.

I have to agree with Chris, though, there's no way changing a theme is going to affect your internet connection unless it affects how your laptop connects. If that were the case, you wouldn't be using your laptop on your neighbor's wifi, either.[/quote:26nefp7p]

I changed the theme, now I can't get onto FCB on my wifi using any computer, any browser, my laptop, or my iPod.

FCB stopped working immediatly after I changed my theme.

A_Pharis

In fact, you may want to log onto your router and swap away from the currenty-set DNS servers (probably your ISP's DNS). Try changing them to:

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
or
4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2

Alternatively, you could try assigning your laptop a static IP and using one of those pairs as your statis DNS server for the device. If it works, switch them back to DHCP (auto assign) and change the DNS servers on your router then.

A_Pharis

ChasHawk said:
Sounds like too much of a coincidence to me for it to be BOTH of their routers

You'd be surprised.
Don't forget, I work with PCs every single day. It's amazing the amount of things that seem "too coincidental". The fact of the matter is that changing a theme can not and will not break your connection. The only thing that COULD be happening - since Chris has the forum on a dual setup - is that their ISP's DNS servers have one host server propagated and not the other... leaving them in the cold until both servers are being routed properly to them.

It'd be unusual, though, seeing how long it has been since the DNS change happened. I'd be interested in seeing more than 2 people show up with this issues, though I don't think changing the board theme would have anything to do with it.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Just to be on the safe side, I deactivated the new style I am working on.

It should have rolled the 9 people that switched to it back to subsilver 2.

It's true ya know, curiosity killed the FCB user.

A_Pharis

So people were using a theme that was still being worked on? Now, I would guess it's possible that unifinished theme programming could restrict access... but these guys are able to log into their accounts on other WiFi routers. The theme they have should be there on their login despite what WIFi they are on.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
A_Pharis said:
So people were using a theme that was still being worked on? Now, I would guess it's possible that unifinished theme programming could restrict access... but these guys are able to log into their accounts on other WiFi routers. The theme they have should be there on their login despite what WIFi they are on.

Yep!

As is the case in most support issues, I doubt we are getting the full story.