Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What really grinds my gears as a buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Is when sellers print out a shipping label with DC # and then do not drop it off at the post office until a week later or MORE.

I paid for a lot of cards on Dec 3. and the DC # was given the very next day. Wasn't until TODAY that the package went in transit. ::facepalm::

This happens with about 50% of the packages I receive. I pay for them, a label is printed and it's at LEAST a week before they are dropped off at the post office.

WaxPax

Grinds-my-gears1.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
cjb9421 said:
markakis8 said:
Is when sellers print out a shipping label with DC # and then do not drop it off at the post office until a week later or MORE.

I paid for a lot of cards on Dec 3. and the DC # was given the very next day. Wasn't until TODAY that the package went in transit. ::facepalm::

On the contrary, I print the label SMAE DAY and mail the NEXT DAY EVERYTIME(i'm waiting until monday though on anything that I sell this week because of the Christmas rush, just to be safe). Lately they havent even been scanning my packages as excepted or anything at all until its delivered...and when it is it only says delivered on the website. USPS is so freaken sloppy anymore, I wish fedex mailed small packages at a similar rate like the USPS.

It is clear when these sellers are dropping off their packages. This isn't a screw up with the post office. The packages are being scanned a week or so later from the original destination. They aren't showing up in my mailbox a week later and finally being scanned.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I hear what you are saying and I agree. I print the label today - I mail the package today.

I am still waiting on a card that I won two weeks ago that was label ready the same day the auction ended. The seller claims the card went out. I am in CT and the card is coming from MD...its well past the time frame expected for a short distance.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Use the DSRs.

Maybe it doesn't "Grind My Gears" as much as I'm old school -- before the Internets we had local bulletin board systems ("BBS"es) that would transmit "packets" of messages through FidoNet and it would take a day or two for a message to get to someone. After you struck a deal, you had to WAIT UNTIL YOU GOT A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER, TAKE it to the BANK... and THEN you had to GO TO THE POST OFFICE and trust that the package would make it there.

Even after FidoNet, we had Usenet, and still had to utilize checks, and trust.

Now, damn, you can email someone within minutes and work out a deal, send it through a safe online cash system, and have money in your account attached to a credit card where you can buy whatever you want with that money within minutes. You can print out a label for your package up to 13 ounces and put it in your mailbox outside without ever having to see another human being.

It's AWESOME.

Oh yeah, there's this GREAT marketplace that, while it takes a lot of fees, opens your item to literally MILLIONS of people worldwide.

If a ********* takes a few days to ship your item, who the frack cares? It's a baseball card, for God's sake.

That being said, this issue did happen to me for a jersey I bought my 5 year old for Christmas. Paid for it on the 12th, he bought a label on the 13th, and it never shipped. I opened a paypal claim and dropped a negative on the 20th... and now lo and behold he shipped it on the 21st. I probably won't get it for Christmas -- not the end of the world -- and I'll obviously close the claim but... he got low DSRs, he has a negative, and he has a claim opened against him. Ive done what I can do.

That being said, the guy has 25k feedback and gets about 1k a month, so it may be a pebble in the ocean, but it's something...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Bob Loblaw said:
Use the DSRs.

Maybe it doesn't "Grind My Gears" as much as I'm old school -- before the Internets we had local bulletin board systems ("BBS"es) that would transmit "packets" of messages through FidoNet and it would take a day or two for a message to get to someone. After you struck a deal, you had to WAIT UNTIL YOU GOT A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER, TAKE it to the BANK... and THEN you had to GO TO THE POST OFFICE and trust that the package would make it there.

Now, damn, you can email someone within minutes and work out a deal, send it through a safe online cash system, and have money in your account attached to a credit card where you can buy whatever you want with that money within minutes. You can print out a label for your package up to 13 ounces and put it in your mailbox outside without ever having to see another human being.

It's AWESOME.

Oh yeah, there's this GREAT marketplace that, while it takes a lot of fees, opens your item to literally MILLIONS of people worldwide.

If a ********* takes a few days to ship your item, who the frack cares? It's a baseball card, for God's sake.

That being said, this issue did happen to me for a jersey I bought my 5 year old for Christmas. Paid for it on the 12th, he bought a label on the 13th, and it never shipped. I opened a paypal claim and dropped a negative on the 20th... and now lo and behold he shipped it on the 21st. I probably won't get it for Christmas -- not the end of the world -- and I'll obviously close the claim but... he got low DSRs, he has a negative, and he has a claim opened against him. Ive done what I can do.

That being said, the guy has 25k feedback and gets about 1k a month, so it may be a pebble in the ocean, but it's something...
[youtube:qfy5di4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk[/youtube:qfy5di4g]

:lol: :lol:

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
I always try to mail the same day or the day after. What sucks for me, though, is when I'm at school they never scan in packages when I drop them off. Sometimes there will be no tracking info until the moment it is delivered, so buyers will message me two days after the label was printed and be pissed off. Then they get the package that same day.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Bob Loblaw said:

Jeff, paying for an item on the 3rd, printing a label on the 4th, and finally dropping it off at the post office on the 22st is NOT a few days.

EDIT TO ADD: Most sellers print out labels and drop off the packages a few days later, why, I have no clue - but I don't have a problem with that. It's the ones that take a week or more AFTER printing the label. Just doesn't make sense to me. I guess they are trying to avoid getting less than five stars but the package has to arrive in 5 days for that to happen.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Bob Loblaw said:
Use the DSRs.

It's AWESOME.

Great post. I used to advertise in SCD and people would send a SASE and I would send them a hand-written list of cards that I would photo copy and include with ordering instructions. Always sucked when you sold out of something and had to send back a partial refund. What a pain.

After a long hiatus from eBay, I couldn't be happier with the new changes that allow you to pay and print shipping labels. What a bonus to avoid all those trips to the Post Office. I was little concerned that the packages my carrier picks up would get delivered slowly, but I have tons of positive feedback on fast shipping so it must be fine.

I look at eBay, Sportlots, and COMC as my advertising agency. Where else could you meet so many collectors for such a small investment? I don't even have to give them benefits!

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
It's gotten to the point that I get nervous about sending things a day late anymore. I print out the label same day and send same day 99% of the time. That 1% that I might have to take it the next day, I literally get nervous about getting bad feedback/DSRs anymore. It takes so little to get your account whacked, even when you do everything perfect, it only takes one crazy buyer that you just can't make happy!

Luckily I haven't had anything like some of the stories I've read on here...yet (13 years and counting, knock on wood!!!)