Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 Donruss Elite & 2004 Throwback Threads break...SCANS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Welp, I just done did busted my first two baseball boxes in quite a while :oops:

I think I did pretty good.

First up, 2003 Donruss Elite. :cool:

Very shiny cards, but a nice affordable product overall!

03deinsert.jpg

03derc.jpg

Matsui #/500
Ford #/1750 (Hey, don't we have a Ford supercollector on these boards?!)

03deguf.jpg

Piazza #/250....very sharp card!
Griffey Jr #/400 :)

Best part about the GU cards?? The backs! The Piazza has a picture of the bat used in the card, and the Griffey has the date of the game that the base was used on. For the record he was 0-3 BB, R which means he did actually "use" this piece of base. :cool: The Reds won as well 3-1, and Pujols went 2/4 (of course, LOL)

03degub.jpg

03destatus.jpg

Helton #/17 :D ...GREAT player and really low #ed! Cool looking die-cut!

Wait.....

....one more hit!

03deauto.jpg

BOOM
Edmonds #7/15 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Man this card looks so nice in person!

Thrilled with the first box. Next up: 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads....very fun product to break! Inserts galore and a really nice mix of vets and HOFers, great bang for the buck IMO.

04ttinserts.jpg

Helton #/100
Schmidt #/1000
Murray #/1500
Yount/Weeks #/1500
Fisk/Clemens/Nomar #/1500 :)
Molitor #/1500
Aparicio #/1500
Piazza #/1500
Drysdale #/1500
(Not pictured: Dynasty insert of Jeter/Posada/Williams/Pettitte #/1500 and FOTG of Joe Montegna)

04ttgu.jpg

Giles #/50
Fisk #/250 :D

Last but not least
a nice HOF patch
04ttpatch.jpg

Hunter 3clr patch #/25 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....SUCH a nice looking card! Thrilled with this pull :cool:

If you guys made it this far then thank you for looking and let me know how I did! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :grouphug:

-Scott

PS - Also busted a blaster of 2010 Bowman Chrome. Pulled two refractors (Ethier & Feliz) and a few RCs (Gardner, Sano, Williams, Altuve, Mesa, Ramirez, Owens, Fields) and a couple USA guys (Wolters, McCullers). Decent RCs I think, but I was NOT satisfied with the condition of some of the cards...a few cards with very bad surfaces :?

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
That's awesome stuff! I'd love to bust a box of 03 Elite. Gary's the supercollector of Ford, by the way.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
69MetsFan said:
Awesome break, Scotty!
I think you left a few of these :D :D :D out of your post title. ;)
Huge thanks Dave, this break was a lot of fun :D Smiley now in title!

TBP - Thanks Eric! On the Elite I definitely killed the odds....you are supposed to get 1-2 GU or autos per box on average. The Recollection autos are tough pulls too, I'm not entirely sure how many were put into the product but I was excited to pull one! The scans actually look great and they are from an All-In-One believe it or not :eek: It does an awful job on BGS/SGC but does real nice on just raw cards. (A little brightning/sharpening doesn't hurt either ;) )

Jastermereel - Glad to share :) I will try to buy a couple old school boxes to break every couple of months or so. Any suggestions? ;)

MacK - Oh yeah that's right, Gary....he probably has this RC but it wouldn't hurt to ask right? 03 Elite is a fun/inexpensive break go for it!! Pull some Sox to help me finish my team set :cool:

King_Felix_4_CY

Sep 1, 2009
Gander, Newfoundland Canada
I have a box of 2003 Donruss Elite on the way as we speak :) I also have 2002, 2004 and 2005 Elite, a box of each. I am looking forward to seeing how the product changed from year to year. They sure seem like nice cards, I am pretty stoked about the break.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
King_Felix_4_CY said:
I have a box of 2003 Donruss Elite on the way as we speak :) I also have 2002, 2004 and 2005 Elite, a box of each. I am looking forward to seeing how the product changed from year to year. They sure seem like nice cards, I am pretty stoked about the break.
Awesome idea! Looking forward to your breaks, good luck! :)

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Great stuff Scott! I love the Edmonds and the Helton and Griffey are awesome.
And big congrats on the Hunter. I don't think I've ever seen a GU patch from him.
Well done my friend and Merry Christmas!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
rebelpawn said:
Great stuff Scott! I love the Edmonds and the Helton and Griffey are awesome.
And big congrats on the Hunter. I don't think I've ever seen a GU patch from him.
Well done my friend and Merry Christmas!
Thanks James!! I was very happy with the breaks...I haven't seen too many Hunter patches either so that is cool. It's from my favorite insert set, too:

bdoerrttjsy250.jpg

doerrpatch10front.jpg

:D

It was definitely cool too see all of the all-star players from the early 2000's, because that is when I got big into following baseball so I remember these players on these teams. I had to laugh because in Elite I opened a pack that had like 4 players who have played on the Red Sox but none in a Red Sox uni =P (Beckett, Hillenbrand, Everett, and Smoltz....ha!)

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well, James!

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
You're right, that is a great set and I like it too... :)

doerr15jersey.jpg

doerr019.jpg

eck001.jpg

ricecent.jpg

rice015.jpg

tiant002.jpg

And feel free to send that Doerr patch my way, I'm sure you don't want it anymore....

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
VERY nice boxes Scotty!!! I would say that was a highly successful break especially for older wax :cool: You should flaunt that Jim Edmonds recollection auto to George ;) The Jim Hunter patch is SWEET too!!!

King_Felix_4_CY

Sep 1, 2009
Gander, Newfoundland Canada
Having read the OP again, I think more cards should have a picture of the item on the back like the Piazza card. It adds more legitimacy and even intimacy (no ****, lol) to the card, as you can see what it once was. Pretty cool IMO.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Terry said:
Nice stuff Scotty. That Helton is purdy.

Merry Christmas!
Thanks Terry, good to see you around as well. One thing I love about Elite is the nice die-cut parallels, I pulled the Helton in the second to last pack so I was getting worried I would not even pull a die-cut...or with my luck it would be an Eric Hinske Asparitions :? :lol:

imac220 - Thanks bud! Edmonds has a GREAT looking sig, even added his # too! (Not sure if he does that on all of his autos or not..)

metallicalex777 - Heh, thanks Alex. I usually have very good luck with older wax. I am surprised I don't see it broke more often on here. I will definitely have to [strike:2bcfunfo]show[/strike:2bcfunfo] flaunt the Edmonds to Geroge. ;)

King_Felix_4_CY - Agreed 100%! I believe quite a few DLP products used to have the picture of the item on the back of the card. Not only does it confirm the authenticity of the item, but it is neat to see which item was used in the card. I mean, have you read the backs of the GU cards from Topps nowadays? "This relic was from a model bat with Alfonso Sorianos' name on it, although he never really used this bat. Close enough and be thankful it was not a redemption! -Topps"

nosterbor - I had a blast! It was a nice nostalgic break from the time before I started actually collecting and only opened packs/boxes. Back when there was multiple companies making cards and some really awesome products when the focus was not as much "How much can I sell these cards I pulled for?" and more "Let's have fun and hope I can pull some nice cards for my collection". :)

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I really love these older breaks like this, gorgeous Donruss Elite cards.How much were they?Sweet Helton insert too.Anyway the Edmonds is available?

Where did you get the blaster from?My Wal-Mart has those for $11 now.Picked 2 up last week.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
SINFULONE said:
I really love these older breaks like this, gorgeous Donruss Elite cards.How much were they?Sweet Helton insert too.Anyway the Edmonds is available?

Where did you get the blaster from?My Wal-Mart has those for $11 now.Picked 2 up last week.
Yeah Elite is a nice product for sure. The box of Elite was $59 and the Throwback Threads was $99 (bought the last box of TT :twisted: )....The Edmonds is not available yet, I'd like to hold onto it for a bit but I'll let you know when I do decide to part ways with it.

The blaster I got from my cousin for Christmas so I'm not sure exactly where he got it from, I'll have to ask him. $11 seems like a good price though, even though a few of the cards I got were a bit rough. I'll have to do some research on the rookies I pulled :oops:

Members online

Latest posts