Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who's the baseball MJ in terms of rare '90s card values?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Saw the Basketball magazine cover at B&N today, got me thinking...In baseball who is the Michael Jordan equivalent, the single outstanding player whose '90s cards consistently outperform all others in sales?

Flipping through Becketts in the past, Ripken's BVs were always higher than everyone else, but not sure how well that translated into sales. I haven't really kept tabs on prices among superstars on the high-end sets, but I would think guys like Griffey, Jeter, and Thomas would be up there. However, it seems Griffey collectors have not been as active as they once were. Jeter may be the winner, since he is the only active player and a lifetime Yankee.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
No baseball players' inserts will ever come close to selling for what MJ cards sell for because they simply don't have the global market that basketball cards do. The Asian and European markets really drive the prices of basketball inserts way up.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Derek Jeter and Ken Griffey Jr. are easily the best sellers for '90s baseball, but they don't even scratch the surface of what Jordans pull. Jordan is THE best of all-time hands-down in a more globally popular sport, so that helps.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
ChasHawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
I must sound like a broken record by now but....

Jordan prices are so fabricated by specific bidders. There's entire threads on fcb alone confirming this.
elaborate?

There is a theory that all the Jordan sales are just one big conspiracy where cards trade hands between a few people while they shill the auctions up to higher values. Then they sell it for real and people pay more because they think there is a history of value.

I personally don't buy it.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
ChasHawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Jordan prices are so fabricated by specific bidders. There's entire threads on fcb alone confirming this.
elaborate?

fcb barely has anything on this compared to other sites like hobbykings etc if you really want to know whats going on. although its pretty hard to figure out what is going on when everyone has varying opinions and the facts really are not definite.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Tomlinson21RB said:
ChasHawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

elaborate?
There is a theory that all the Jordan sales are just one big conspiracy where cards trade hands between a few people while they shill the auctions up to higher values. Then they sell it for real and people pay more because they think there is a history of value.

I order to believe it, you'd have to believe the same thing for Kobe after that radonkulous sale posted last week.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
ChasHawk said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
ChasHawk said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

elaborate?

I order to believe it, you'd have to believe the same thing for Kobe after that radonkulous sale posted last week.

Whether there are games being played or not, there has to be demand and people willing to pay these prices. Otherwise this mystery Jordan group would be selling between themselves for nothing. They would also need an unlimited supply of rare Jordans because once they sell at inflated prices then they need to buy again in order to resell.

I just don't see the profit potential in this supposed scam. I do see how very wealthy collectors could be fighting each other to have the rarest cards of the best player they've ever seen.

Members online