Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

done asking people to end auctions early

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
i am officially done with this. i am just not around the internet/computer enough like others to make it work for me. Most of the time I ask to end early and the seller agrees, he takes it as list it as that price with a BIN when I mean I will do it off ebay and save on fees. I end up asking him to do it, and he lists it as a BIN when i am not at the computer and it gets hit. Lost so many cards this way I am just done asking and I will try for it at auction. Although slightly different a nomar essential credentials 5/6 really stung me the way i lost it a few weeks ago, along with countless miggy 1/1's etc. here is my latest loss i just found out about right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edgardo-Alfonzo ... 500wt_1093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
1. From the sellers point of view I can see why they would do it this way.

2. Why not just bid as much as you are willing to pay for the auction to begin with? Don't worry about the fees, that's the sellers problem.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
zach said:

2. Why not just bid as much as you are willing to pay for the auction to begin with? Don't worry about the fees, that's the sellers problem.

well obviously the main point of it is to save money myself, as I am offering less than I believe it would get at auction, and around 5-10 percent of the time the seller will agree to this. the other reason is if it is a card i do really really want I fear someone else will try and get it to be ended early so i offer what I think it will get at auction to try and get it right away.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
this one hurt me the most probably although there have been some nice miggy 1/1's i have lost out on as well.
offered him 125 or something, he came back at 150 and its yours. i say yess and he says someone else just offered me 250 :(

jersey numbered too, you wont see another one of these for 10 years I bet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-E-X-2001-N ... 399wt_1078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
miguelcabrera said:
ChasHawk said:
In your original message to end early, do you give them your email address?
no but usually i will ask for theirs and say i can pay right away
any time I've asked someone to end early, I ask them to contact me at myemail dot com.

I always spell the dot as well to try and avoid possible TOS violations.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
As a seller, I NEVER end an auction early, no matter what the potential buyer offers. To me, there is too much risk involved, and part of the fun of selling for me is watching the auction close and seeing if there are any snipes. I also HATE it when an auction I have bid on or am interested in bidding on is ended early.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Most sellers I have encountered don't want to end auctions early anymore, so getting them to list BINs for agreed upon prices works. If you cam negotiate a price that both of you can live with, a lot of sellers will just change it to a BIN for you.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
miguelcabrera said:
zach said:

well obviously the main point of it is to save money myself, as I am offering less than I believe it would get at auction, and around 5-10 percent of the time the seller will agree to this. the other reason is if it is a card i do really really want I fear someone else will try and get it to be ended early so i offer what I think it will get at auction to try and get it right away.

Maybe it's just karma?

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
As a seller, I never end auctions early.

As a buyer, I've only asked twice. The first time, the seller agreed to do it and I got the card. Recently, I tried again on a card I really wanted and the seller declined to do it (which I understand). I offered $80 to end it, but when the seller declined I hoped to win the auction...and I bid crazy at the end. Turns out there was one other crazy person out there and I lost by a lousy 2 dollars and 20 cents. :x
Link

I probably paid around an average of $8 for his red /25's. I'm convinced that completing a rainbow can involve a lot of dumb luck (or really stupid bidding). Ha.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
miguelcabrera said:
i am officially done with this. i am just not around the internet/computer enough like others to make it work for me. Most of the time I ask to end early and the seller agrees, he takes it as list it as that price with a BIN when I mean I will do it off ebay and save on fees. I end up asking him to do it, and he lists it as a BIN when i am not at the computer and it gets hit. Lost so many cards this way I am just done asking and I will try for it at auction. Although slightly different a nomar essential credentials 5/6 really stung me the way i lost it a few weeks ago, along with countless miggy 1/1's etc. here is my latest loss i just found out about right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edgardo-Alfonzo ... 500wt_1093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube:3kqqb27b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtP4DM-LkE[/youtube:3kqqb27b]

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
fsulevine said:
As a seller, I NEVER end an auction early, no matter what the potential buyer offers. To me, there is too much risk involved, and part of the fun of selling for me is watching the auction close and seeing if there are any snipes. I also HATE it when an auction I have bid on or am interested in bidding on is ended early.

I don't know why people ask me to end auctions early, I hate it. If I wanted to end auctions early, it would be a BIN only. Granted, as a buyer, when I make bids before I go to bid, I almost never win them.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I've ended a couple items early. Both times were to avoid eBay fees, and because I was able to get a price higher than I would have set a BIN for.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
If it's something I want and I don't want to lose out, I contact the seller and....
1. ask if they're interested in ending early at $XX
2. and if they're not I ask to be kept posted if they change their mind.

I completely understand asking to end early or at least if they're potentially going to. You don't want to miss out if they're planning on ending early, so there's no harm asking. You can act self righteous about the morality of ending early, but if you're screwed because someone else anted up, then you're the one that loses out.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I don't have any issues with someone asking, never hurts to try. With that said, I've said no every time except one as I was selling off my cards to pick up a pre-war card that had finally come up. Ending early got me the money faster and I was able to snag the pre-war card I wanted.

I don't think I've ever asked though.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
happened to me all the time. Now i ask them to put a code word in the title only . no players name anywhere, just the scan. IT WORKS!