Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1939 Play Ball Moe Berg Autograph: Anyone Know Japanese?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
This is my 1939 Play Ball Moe Berg autograph card. The English signature has already been given the thumbs up by JSA. For our Japanese linguists on board...what do those characters say? Thanks in advance,

James

attachment.php

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
it may just be his name spelled out in the Japanese letters. Common to sign both, especially it it was for American person

When I was playing baseball in Japan we used to trade autographed programs/balls/photos with the other teams, and they ALWAYS signed with the same type of single Japanese letter as on your card, but they also signed their names with "ABC" type letters as well, so really signed their name twice, they all did this. And another interesting thing is many of the younger generation cant even read/write the more traditional Japanese symbols (the real intricate square based type that involve multiple words per symbol).

I have a few hapa Japanese facebook friends here in Hawaii, I'll see if they can decipher it or maybe their grandparents can...

nice card :)

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. So, in fact, this card is double-signed? FKW, I've handled hundreds of Berg autographs in my 25+ years in the hobby...but never one signed in Japanese. Is this more common than I think? I hope everyone can see the image now. Thanks to all of those who helped re-post it. I don't know where I messed up.

James

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
It could either be double signed, or more likely the person who owned the card wrote his name in Japanese themselves as a translation.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
I got this out of a Washington DC era scrapbook from 1939. JSA has already evaluated the auto as "Authentic" so I'm not sure it makes sense someone would write his name in Japanses characters with the same writing instrument. Especially since Berg was confirmed as having been bilingual.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Liberate Baltimore said:
I got this out of a Washington DC era scrapbook from 1939. JSA has already evaluated the auto as "Authentic" so I'm not sure it makes sense someone would write his name in Japanses characters with the same writing instrument. Especially since Berg was confirmed as having been bilingual.

If he was bilingual then its probably a double auto.

I had figured some fan got his auto IP and then wrote his name in Japanese next to it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As my Avatar illustrates, big Berg fan here. That card is awesome!!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
...sweet card and great to get the translation.

My 19 year old (soph. in college now) and I are were reminiscing today that he did a "who am I" project in like 4th or 5th grade and he picked Moe Berg :D if you can believe it. He is a huge baseball fan and history buff so it was a great selection by him.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
TwinGnats said:
I'm in the middle of reading "The Catcher was a Spy", excellent book I reccommend to everyone, Berg was quite a complex person.
Really amazing story. I read, "Moe Berg, Athlete, Scholar, Spy" a while back, and recently came across him in "American Prometheus," a book about Oppenheimer and the atom bomb. Berg apparently was sent to follow Heisener and if the Germans were getting too close to the bomb, was to kill him.

Members online

Latest posts