Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1983 Donruss HOF Heroes Auto Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I started collecting in 1981 at the tender age of 8. I was fascinated by the history of the game. In 1983, Donruss released a 44 card set of notable HOFers. It was my first real opportunity to own cards of these legends. I loved the Perez paintings and memorized the backs of the cards.

Anyway, fast forward 30 years and I have really expanded my collection simply due to having more disposable income. I have started getting heavy into HOFer autos and the cards in this set looks fantastic when signed.

I am going to try and pick them up as I can and I will update this thread with my progress. Here are the ones I have so far...

Let me know what you think and who I should get next.

Last edited:

Mizzourah

Aug 7, 2008
Missouri
Ralph Kiner and Monte Irvin are both good TTM signers if you wanted to go that route.

Great looking set by the way! Keep it up.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
Go for one of Greenberg it is one of my favorite cards. What is the checklist of set of players that could have autographed cards?

Greenberg.jpg

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Wow, those are a great set to collect. Well done and keep us posted on your progress. Here's the check-list from what I find on-line

1983 Donruss Hall of Fame Heroes

Return to Baseball Card Database
Card # Card Description Notes
1 Ty Cobb
2 Walter Johnson
3 Christy Mathewson
4 John Gibson
5 Honus Wagner
6 Jackie Robinson
7 Mickey Mantle
8 Luke Appling
9 Ted Williams
10 Johnny Mize
11 Satchel Paige
12 Lou Boudreau
13 Jimmie Foxx
14 Duke Snider
15 Monte Irvin
16 Hank Greenberg
17 Roberto Clemente
18 Al Kaline
19 Frank Robinson
20 Joe Cronin
21 Burleigh Grimes
22 Paul Waner The Waner Brothers
Lloyd Waner
23 Grover Alexander
24 Yogi Berra
25 Cool Papa Bell
26 Bill Dickey
27 Cy Young
28 Charlie Gehringer
29 Dizzy Dean
30 Bob Lemon
31 Red Ruffing
32 Stan Musial
33 Carl Hubbell
34 Hank Aaron
35 John McGraw
36 Bob Feller
37 Casey Stengel
38 Ralph Kiner
39 Roy Campanella
40 Mel Ott
41 Robin Roberts
42 Early Wynn
43 Mickey Mantle Puzzle Card
44 Checklist

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's a beautiful set to have autographed.
Back in the '80s i would mail the cards to the players' homes to autograph.

I was able to get: Luke Appling, Johnny Mize, Lou Boudreau, Duke Snider, Monte Irvin, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson, Yogi Berra, Cool Papa Bell, Charlie Gehringer, Bob Lemon, Stan Musial, Carl Hubbell, Bob Feller, Ralph Kiner, Robin Roberts and Early Wynn.
(None are for sale or trade)

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
That Snider was part of the 1984 Donruss set (the puzzle that year if I'm not mistaken). Snider has a regular card from the 1983 HOF Heroes set.

The toughest one to get in the set is the Joe Cronin, as he passed in 1984. I'll try to see if I can scan mine tonight (I've debated going after this set for years, and grabbed a Cronin early on to ensure I'd have one should I start it).

A_Pharis said:
And I don't know if this is part of that same set or not --
Snider_Reco.jpg

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Beautiful autographs! I think the oldtimers have better penmanship that makes their autographs really look nice. The blue Sharpie makes them really pop out of the picture too. Do you plan to have them all slabbed?

Good luck with the set!

- Rod

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Here is a list of possible autos within this set. There are 25 possible autos to get. I have 15 of them so far.

"Yes" is I have it or it is on the way. Two Yeses is that it is already slabbed.

Card # Player Name Have PSA/DNA
7 Mickey Mantle
8 Luke Appling Yes Yes
9 Ted Williams
10 Johnny Mize Yes Yes
12 Lou Boudreau Yes Yes
14 Duke Snider Yes
15 Monte Irvin Yes Yes
16 Hank Greenberg
18 Al Kaline Yes Yes
19 Frank Robinson Yes Yes
20 Joe Cronin
21 Burleigh Grimes Yes Yes
24 Yogi Berra
25 Cool Papa Bell
26 Bill Dickey Yes Yes
28 Charlie Gehringer Yes
30 Bob Lemon Yes Yes
31 Red Ruffing
32 Stan Musial Yes
33 Carl Hubbell Yes
34 Hank Aaron
36 Bob Feller Yes
38 Ralph Kiner Yes
41 Robin Roberts
42 Early Wynn Yes Yes

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I have gotten 3 more lately. I am up to 18 (11 of which are already slabbed). I only need 7 more, but they are the expensive ones. I will easily spend over $1,200 to finish this project out. I still need Mantle, Williams, Berra, Bell, Greenberg, Cronin, and Ruffing.

Here are the three latest additions

005-2.jpg

003-6.jpg

RobertsHOFHeroes.jpg

I know the Aaron doesn't look quite right so I might try to get one already slabbed to take its place.

Yes, I plan on sending in all of them in for slabbing.

Members online