Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Zambrano Traded to the Marlins For Chris Volstad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Is that a collective sigh of relief I just heard from all Cubs fans?

Marlins Close To Acquiring Carlos Zambrano
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 4 at 4:42pm CST]
The Marlins are close to acquiring Carlos Zambrano from the Cubs, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Zambrano would need to waive his no-trade clause for the teams to complete the deal, but he would presumably be open to playing for friend and fellow Venezuelan Ozzie Guillen.

The deal would give the Marlins a projected rotation of Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco and Zambrano. Chris Volstad has started 29 games in each of the past three seasons, but he could become trade bait if the deal goes through.

It's not yet clear how the Cubs and Marlins would split Zambrano's salary. He will earn $18MM in 2012 and his contract includes an option for 2013 that could vest depending on his health and performance in 2012. He needs to finish in the top four in next year's Cy Young vote and finish the season healthy for the option to vest.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Re: Big Z (Likely) Headed to the Marlins

Wow.

Real High-Risk, High-Reward move by the Marlins.

That puts three of the Biggest Egos in the League in the same Locker Room. Four, if you count the Manager. That can be fine if you win, not so fine if you Lose...

But I gotta wonder, why wouldn't Theo ask for one of those Lesser pitchers back?

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona

David Campos said:
gt2590 said:
That puts three of the Biggest Egos in the League in the same Locker Room. Four, if you count the Manager.

Zambrano
Hanley
???

Guillen

Curious who you think is the 4th?

Jose Reyes? Thats my only guess....It may work and they might cope with one another.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

Yeah, it's gotta be Reyes...

Got my bunt hit, now get me out Coach!

Rumors are the other players in NYM clubhouse used to roll their eyes and look the other way w/ some of his antics. Now granted, he is older now, maybe Maturity will come.

Like I said, IF they win, No Problem. IF not, uh oh... :lol:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

God dammit

Great, now I have a new least favorite player

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Jon Heyman is now reporting Chris Volstad would go to the Cubs in the deal.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009

ThoseBackPages said:
Funny how nobody cares about the Marlins since Pujols went west lol

i dont think those us with vested interest in Mike Stanton have... and the rest of the world will care too once April comes around the Miami multi-colors are fun to watch

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I honestly believe Zambrano should never play again. His constant crybabying problems with everybody and bitching he deserves to be a minor league ballplayer. He is a good hitting pitcher but a complete liability on a roster with his over sized ego and large temper.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I wish Zambrano all the best. It was time for the Cubs to move on and begin a new era.
I may have to take a trip down to Miami this year...

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
sheetskout said:
I absolutely think this was a great move by Theo. And you all know how I feel about the Schlubs.

This is correct. Zambrano no longer has his electric fastball and usually is in the 88-92 mph range with his stuff. He still has decent movement, but he's never been particularly strong with his location so the lack of speed means he will never be the #2 starter he once was. Volstad is actually a useful arm in return for the back end of the rotation. Essentially, I think the Cubs got a much younger #5 starter who is going to put up similar numbers as Z, cut salary, and removed a huge distraction from the clubhouse.

Members online

Latest posts