Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ugh Accidentally bought a redeemed redemption card.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
My fault. Listing said redeemed. BIN was only $50 so I jumped on it quick. Anyone looking for a 2011 Topps USA Blue Refractor Auto used redemption card for $50? lol

chadwright

Jun 25, 2011
Austin, TX
MartinFFcollector said:
My fault. Listing said redeemed. BIN was only $50 so I jumped on it quick. Anyone looking for a 2011 Topps USA Blue Refractor Auto used redemption card for $50? lol

Was the guy just hoping someone would accidentally his the BIN button, or is there actually some odd market for these things?

A_Pharis

chadwright said:
MartinFFcollector said:

Was the guy just hoping someone would accidentally his the BIN button, or is there actually some odd market for these things?

He got what he was after. Someone seeing what would have been a low BIN for the unredeemed item and hoping they didn't read.

If it's clearly laid out in the auction, it may just be a learning experience.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
A_Pharis said:
chadwright said:
MartinFFcollector said:

He got what he was after. Someone seeing what would have been a low BIN for the unredeemed item and hoping they didn't read.

Yeah it was clearly mentioned in the title. Lesson learned. In the description it states "Fair Buy it now price". Umm in hindsight, I beg to differ.

Yep, guy got what he wanted. Oh wait, the envelope was empty...

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
MartinFFcollector said:
A_Pharis said:
chadwright said:
MartinFFcollector said:

Yeah it was clearly mentioned in the title. Lesson learned. In the description it states "Fair Buy it now price". Umm in hindsight, I beg to differ.

Ugh, I'm waffling between telling you to take the high-road; and telling you to screw the guy over because we've been screwed over as sellers AND this guy was trying to pull a fast one.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I'd say there's more value to a redemption card if it actually has a player's name on it.

I've sold a few Montero Refractor and Blue Refractor Rookie Auto Redemption cards, because it's part of MOntero's card collecting history.

If anyone from that set breaks out there might be some value to it, but again it would be worth alot more if it had the player names on it.

And if you dont think that anyone would want an expired redemption card, the Pujols from 2001 Bowman Chrome goes for HUNDREDS.

TenaciousJDD

Mudcatsfan said:
And if you dont think that anyone would want an expired redemption card, the Pujols from 2001 Bowman Chrome goes for HUNDREDS.

Depending on the circumstances of the card redemptions can be very collectible. Willie Stargell passed away before he could sign for 2001 Greats of the Game and I was pretty happy to add the expired redemption to my set for less than $40.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have given away some redeemed cards to player collectors..

So there is some value to them..

I believe if I happened to find a Pujols redemption for his 2001 BC.. I would list that on EBAY.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
TenaciousJDD said:
Mudcatsfan said:

Depending on the circumstances of the card redemptions can be very collectible. Willie Stargell passed away before he could sign for 2001 Greats of the Game and I was pretty happy to add the expired redemption to my set for less than $40.

I was actually anxiously awaiting that card when he passed away. I wanted to add his auto to my collection. Instead they created a pretty neat jersey card that was hand numbered to amount of outstanding redemptions.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Sounds like the seller was obviously trying to deceive you. If he said it's a good price for a redemption, it's not. You could make that argument to Paypal if you think it would be fair. While I'll always look at a description before I hit a cheap bin, you'd only be encouraging the seller to do it again by sucking it up.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
bear0555 said:
Sounds like the seller was obviously trying to deceive you. If he said it's a good price for a redemption, it's not. You could make that argument to Paypal if you think it would be fair. While I'll always look at a description before I hit a cheap bin, you'd only be encouraging the seller to do it again by sucking it up.

Doesn't sound deceptive at all to me. OP said that seller clearly mentioned in the title that the card was redeemed. Listing said it was a 'fair' price for the redemption. That's debatable, but certainly not deceptive.

Condolences to the OP, but kudos as well for taking responsibility for your own conduct.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Regardless of who's right or wrong, you should be able to return it for a refund. If the seller won't agree, Paypal will support you even if it was well described. I normally would say you should do the right thing and pay for it but it seems like the seller was just trolling for someone that wasn't paying attention.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-...0821511696?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4ab273c610

I really think you should try for a refund. The description should have noted that it was for a scratched off code card (as a seller it's on you to make sure that the buyer knows exactly what they are getting - especially in the case of a card like this - the description should have said something like "PLEASE NOTE: THIS CARD IS SCRATCHED OFF AND THE CODE HAS ALREADY BEEN USED.") Maybe it did say redeemed in the title but I still think that it is misleading. I'd bet eBay would side with you. You can usually buy an unredeemed card for $75-100, the scratched off code card couldn't realistically be worth more than a couple dollars.

WaxPax

MartinFFcollector said:
A_Pharis said:
chadwright said:
MartinFFcollector said:

....his $1 shipping charge has all the ear marks of a PWE shipment with no DC....just saying

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
WaxPax said:
MartinFFcollector said:
A_Pharis said:
chadwright said:
MartinFFcollector said:

....his $1 shipping charge has all the ear marks of a PWE shipment with no DC....just saying

He sent it certified mail.

Here's his email-

I cannot afford to collect every card set that is issued but when I do pick a set I try my best to collect every card that was put in the box in order to have a true Master set. I am not the only one who dose this and I have bought many cards that have been redeemed or are well past their expiration date. These days mostly cards from Upper deck and Fleer that represent extremly rare cards such as the 500 home run series. These cards will never be redeemed because the firms that issued them are no longer in business. Like having every possible variation of the 89 Ripkin error Box over writing on end of bat scribble over end of bat Writing visable etc. If you have any of these I am always looking for collectors to trade with. Jonathan

Normally I would see his as honest and move on. But he seems like a seasoned collector. His account is only from Sept. with less than 20 transactions. An alt acct. for crap like this? Or he could have a legit reason for the new or multiple accts. I offered his 2 Gold Auto used redemptiopns and offered others if I didn't throw them all away already. Also asked for a refund and if he did this on purpose. Never heard back.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
trauty said:
Regardless of who's right or wrong, you should be able to return it for a refund. If the seller won't agree, Paypal will support you even if it was well described. I normally would say you should do the right thing and pay for it but it seems like the seller was just trolling for someone that wasn't paying attention.
I agree with this.

Members online

Latest posts