Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jorge Posada Retiring

HOFer?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jorge Posada To Retire
By Zach Links [January 7, 2012 at 1:40pm CST]
Jorge Posada will announce his retirement within the next two weeks, a source tells Sweeny Murti of WFAN (via Twitter). Previously, it was reported that Posada wanted to continue playing in 2012 if he could find the right situation.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Yes to the HOF. 5 time AS and 5 time SS, plus 5 rings.

His offensive numbers are just below HOF for a catcher, but the fact that he's a Yankee who won 5 rings pushes him IN, in my opinion.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I say no, but if Fisk and Carter are in, there is no reason Posada shouldn't be in. But I disagree with it.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Posada was an excellent catcher with lots of championships on side. IMO, he shouldn't make the HOF. He will most likely be voted in, however.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
He's a fringe HOF guy based on his stats. His postseason experience and 5 rings could get him in. But he just doesn't scream HOF. Could be one of those guys that just plugs along moving up the % of votes and gets in toward the end of his time on the ballot

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
gracecollector said:
From Dickey, to Berra, to Munson, to Posada - Yankees have had a great run of catchers. I admire all those guys - and I'm far from a Yankees fan in general.
Dont forget Elston Howard!

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
rings??? lol

so I guess Frank Crosetti should be a HOFer with his 8 rings, or Hank Bauer, Johnny Murphy, Tommy Henrich with their 7 rings, or Tommy Byrne, Joe Collins, Jerry Coleman, Spud Chandler, Charlie Keller, and Ralph Houk, Bob Cerv, Charlie Silvera etc. etc with their 6 rings, or Dal Maxvill, Johnny Hopp, Jack Berry etc. etc. are all HOFer with their 5 rings...

...and you might as well take Teddy Ballgame and Lets Play Two out cause they had none....

Posada was a good catcher, good ... not great, not HOFer

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I watched the guy everyday over his career. he is not a hof'er. I am a staunch yankke fan but he just dont scream hof'er. he was a good player on great teams.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm a Yankees fan, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer.
As JCMint wrote, he was a good player on great teams.
Like Thurman Munson, though Munson was better.

Here's how ESPN's online poll looks so far:

Is Jorge Posada a Hall of Famer?

48% Yes
31% No
21% Too Close to Call
(2,592 votes)

ESPN (New York)

The "Core Four" is down to two.

New York Yankees catcher Jorge Posada is planning to retire, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The source told Olney that Posada, 40, is trying to determine the right time to make an announcement, which is expected to be in the next two weeks.

Posada, shortstop Derek Jeter, closer Mariano Rivera and left-handed pitcher Andy Pettitte compiled the core group that helped the Yankees win five World Series championships between 1996-2009.

Pettitte retired after the 2010 season.

Posada hit .235 with 14 home runs and 44 RBIs last season.

After Posada's final game last October, he was asked what playing for the Yankees had meant to him -- and he broke down in tears, before walking away from reporters.

Posada probably could have continued his career somewhere as a designated hitter and padded his career numbers of 275 home runs, 1,065 RBIs and 936 walks. But Posada always cherished the privilege and responsibility of being the Yankees catcher.

He viewed Thurman Munson as an idol, and converted from second base to catcher after being drafted by the Yankees in the 24th round of the 1990 draft.

Swinging with pine tar on his hands, and without batting gloves, he was a five-time All-Star, caught David Wells' perfect game in 1998, and played in 125 games in October. He is a borderline Hall of Fame candidate, but his legacy as a Yankee probably means more to him.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
markakis8 said:
I say no, but if Fisk and Carter are in, there is no reason Posada shouldn't be in. But I disagree with it.
Fisk and Carter are 2 of the greatest all around catchers to ever play the game. Posada is borderline. He could get in and maybe not.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
fkw said:
rings??? lol

so I guess Frank Crosetti should be a HOFer with his 8 rings, or Hank Bauer, Johnny Murphy, Tommy Henrich with their 7 rings, or Tommy Byrne, Joe Collins, Jerry Coleman, Spud Chandler, Charlie Keller, and Ralph Houk, Bob Cerv, Charlie Silvera etc. etc with their 6 rings, or Dal Maxvill, Johnny Hopp, Jack Berry etc. etc. are all HOFer with their 5 rings...

...and you might as well take Teddy Ballgame and Lets Play Two out cause they had none....

Posada was a good catcher, good ... not great, not HOFer
You are missing the whole point of the ring argument. Posada is a borderline Hall of Famer, however, he has five World Series rings, so there is the possibility that those 5 rings could push him into the hall of Fame. None of the people that you mentioned above are borderline Hall of Famers. Phil Rizzuto is a better example. Great SS, good lead off hitter. His numbers certainly dont scream Hall of Fame, however, he was a major factor in all of those Yankees World Series.

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
I'd say no, but what has to help is never being linked to HGH or steroids. That's a big deal anymore.

Members online