Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1988 Baseball Super Stars Discs (Our Own Tea, Tetley, etc.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Earlier today I added the Ellis Burks/Kevin Seitzer Tetely Tea full panel to my Burks collection. I now have the Our Own Tea, Tetley, and Weis Winners panels. I know I need the Key Foods and A&P issues, are there others from the '88 issue? Are the panels that only say Super Stars part of the "untitled" series sold at Skaggs, etc. as noted in the Standard Catalog?

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I *love* these silly discs and was thoroughly confused by them for quite some time. I have a thread on another message board that will help out, I think.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=527620&STARTPAGE=1

Good luck finding yours! There's a Key Foods store on the Lower East Side in Manhattan that I go by a couple times a year. Every time, I picture a case of discs stuck in the basement somewhere. I'm sure they're there!!!

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Thanks for the link to your other thread. Very helpful. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the Tetley variation is more rare than the others. Scored the full panel at a show today for $1.

1988_tetley_full.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
as someone that was a teenager at the time who was a baseball card addict, AND worked at a supermarket. i cant even admit to how many Iced Tea Mix Cans/Bazooka Gum Boxes/Drakes/Hostess items were "damaged" and "unsellable" at our store :cool:

wish i still had them

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I'd pay quite a bit for the ones I need. And I sold a couple different Puckett's for $100 each. They have some value to the very few people that really seek them out. Some are a pain to find. Key Food ones never surface!

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
I like those. Burks doesn't have a disc in that set, unfortunately. As-far-as the Tea Discs go, does anyone have the A&P Supermarkets variation?

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
jay1065 said:
I like those. Burks doesn't have a disc in that set, unfortunately. As-far-as the Tea Discs go, does anyone have the A&P Supermarkets variation?

I'm not familiar with A&P Supermarkets discs. At least not in the same family as the Weis Winners, Tetley and other related discs.

WaxPax

Found my stash of discs, really odd how I have a ton from first annual and only 1 from the second and much more from the third...guess I bought enough iced tea to last 2 years at the time....LOL

Non of these panels are opened so I don't know who is the other player is who is hiding underneath....I have plenty of dupes as well if anyone might need one...LMK

1988tetleydiscs.jpg

1990tetleydiscs.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I see some collectors with the A&P Discs on their wantlists, but didn't A&P have the Our Own Tea brand so they are really one in the same?

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
My 2010 SCD lists A&P, Key Food, Tetley Tea, and Weis Winners as brands that fall under the 1988 Super Stars Discs set. Our Own Tea is mentioned under it's own listing that refers you to the '88 Super Stars.

EDIT: A quick search does reveal that Our Own Tea is an A&P house brand. Maybe they are one in the same.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
jay1065 said:
My 2010 SCD lists A&P, Key Food, Tetley Tea, and Weis Winners as brands that fall under the 1988 Super Stars Discs set. Our Own Tea is mentioned under it's own listing that refers you to the '88 Super Stars.

EDIT: A quick search does reveal that Our Own Tea is an A&P house brand. Maybe they are one in the same.

I've never seen a disc with A&P on it so they are either extremely rare or the same as Our Own Tea.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Beckett mentions it in their set description, but SCD does not, that the 1990 Tetley set has a variation. It appears the set was originally printed with "Fourth Annual" on the front, which was quickly corrected to "Third Annual". Based on some quick eBay searching, it appears the calendar poster was also printed with "Fourth" before the error was caught.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts