Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Had another HOFer kind of day...:) Turns out to be crappy!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Got the first two in the mail.

#126 - Freddie Lindstrom

002-10.jpg

1983 HOF Heroes for the set I am working on

001-13.jpg

Then I was at a client's house and bought these (his collection is sick and I had seen it several times. Couldn't resist buying these)

July 1987 Beckett Baseball

003-3.jpg

I think this is my new favorite piece I own...Hard to argue with the greatness of the Splendid Splinter and the Yankee Clipper. It is an 8x10.

004-1.jpg

Let me know what you think.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Re: Had another HOFer kind of day...:)

Does that DiMaggio have a COA?

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009

You should go get your money back for the Williams/Dimaggio

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

DiMaggio had days where he'd sign differently his signature was somewhat inconsistent...but that does not resemble any authentic DiMaggio I've ever seen...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

I hate to add insult to injury but that Mays Beckett came with the auto on it. The auto is not on the Beckett itself but on the photo that was used to create the cover. A Google search will come up with many examples of this cover and all the autos are the same. I remember this Beckett and I remembered it right away when I saw your picture. The Mays autograph is not real.

There are a good deal of people advertising this magazine with an authentic autograph but if you look at each and every one of them the autograph is exactly the same. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beckett-Price-G ... 0397715544

allstars

Mar 17, 2009

Thats the oldest HOF postcard I've ever seen - very cool.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI

allstars said:
Thats the oldest HOF postcard I've ever seen - very cool.

the HOF plaque PCs go back to 1939
this one of Lindstrom is from after 1976 (the year he was inducted).

Ive never seen one like this though...but I dont seek them out either........nice pick up.

A_Pharis

mchenrycards said:
I hate to add insult to injury but that Mays Beckett came with the auto on it. The auto is not on the Beckett itself but on the photo that was used to create the cover. A Google search will come up with many examples of this cover and all the autos are the same. I remember this Beckett and I remembered it right away when I saw your picture. The Mays autograph is not real.

There are a good deal of people advertising this magazine with an authentic autograph but if you look at each and every one of them the autograph is exactly the same. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beckett-Price-G ... 0397715544

ouch

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas

I feel like such a dope!! I have been in this hobby since 1981 and although I only really started collecting HOFer Autos about a year ago, I thought I had a pretty good eye for things. Well apparently not. Lesson learned. At least it wasn't too expensive of a lesson.

The guy I bought them from is a client and I am confident that I can get my money back from him. I just feel like such an ass!!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Dont feel stupid as this is how you learn. We have all made stupid hobby mistakes. My experience is when you are buying autographs make sure to do your due diligence BEFORE you buy and dont always take someone's word that the autos are good. You will save yourself allot of aggravation and money!!

Hopefully you can get your money back from your client.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
thats why I usually only buy checks, postally used fan request team issue PCs, vintage signed photos, or sigs on significant items ie cards with good value on their own.

most forgers will not attempt to fake a sig on a $100+ card or equally valuable rare postcard, but will do this all day long on a new baseball, 3X5 index card, crap low value common card, or cheap mass produced new photos

at least you caught it early, can get your $$ back and have easy 100% proof to show the guy. he was a sucker too Im sure, and will be the guy who loses really

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

Gonzaleznut said:
I feel like such a dope!! I have been in this hobby since 1981 and although I only really started collecting HOFer Autos about a year ago, I thought I had a pretty good eye for things. Well apparently not. Lesson learned. At least it wasn't too expensive of a lesson.

The guy I bought them from is a client and I am confident that I can get my money back from him. I just feel like such an ass!!

Just curious...when you say "wasn't too expensive" do you mind sharing what you paid for the magazine and the photo?

Members online

Latest posts