Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Topps Kevin Gregg Variation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cincykid75

Sep 30, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Earlier today I was sorting a bunch of 2011 Topps base cards and I found this variation.
I have never seen this documented, so I figured that I would let everyone know.
Surprisingly, it appears that Topps took the time to actually airbrush this card.
I have roughly 25 of the 'light dirt' and 3 of the 'brown dirt' cards. The Gregg card is #111 out of series 1.

2011ToppsKevinGreggErr0001.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The anniversary factory sets seem to have the brown ver.
Also check out his elbow.

cincykid75

Sep 30, 2008
I just opened 3 different 2011 Topps factory sets that I had on hand, and all three of them had the 'brown dirt' version.
It appears that maybe the 'light dirt' variation came from packs, and the 'brown dirt' variation is in the factory sets.
I don't think either variation is scarce at all, but they definitely need to be documented.
The only question that I have for Topps is ,"Why Kevin Gregg?"

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
My theory is that they wanted to touch up the brown from behind where it says "pitcher" and just kept going with it...?

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
my theory is its a registration issue. like too much black ink on one and not enough on the other. someone who knows more about printing than i could back me up on this

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
jeremy said:
my theory is its a registration issue. like too much black ink on one and not enough on the other. someone who knows more about printing than i could back me up on this

Good observation.

If you look at the card with the darker mound, his name appears to have a layer of shadowing not present on the lighter soil card to the left. Perhaps it was some sort of printing defect. None the less, with an error such as this that looks like a true error (and assuming one may be more scarce than the other), we may have a recognizable error here..

Members online