Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trade Rumor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Heard earlier that the Cubs and Yankees are talking about a possible trade of Soriano for Burnett.
I would be glad to see Soriano gone but don't see how Burnett fits at all.

Thoughts?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
numba1yankeefan said:
I would be happy with trading Burnett for a pack of gum so no complaints as a Yankee fan getting a decent player even if he's fallen off quite a bit.

Alfonso has three years left on his contract. (8/136).

No thanks.

Johnny Damon please.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
ahill1 said:
Heard earlier that the Cubs and Yankees are talking about a possible trade of Soriano for Burnett.
I would be glad to see Soriano gone but don't see how Burnett fits at all.

Thoughts?
Contract dumps for both plain and simple

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
vwnut13 said:
numba1yankeefan said:
I would be happy with trading Burnett for a pack of gum so no complaints as a Yankee fan getting a decent player even if he's fallen off quite a bit.

No thanks.

Johnny Damon please.

if we would have to pay that, i'm with you.

Yankees are saying they only have 1-2 mil to spend on a DH. So it looks to be either Damon or Matsui. Matsui would be cheaper.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
numba1yankeefan said:
vwnut13 said:
numba1yankeefan said:

No thanks.

Johnny Damon please.

Yankees are saying they only have 1-2 mil to spend on a DH. So it looks to be either Damon or Matsui. Matsui would be cheaper.

Can Matsui still walk with those crumbled knees?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
JEBJJA said:
numba1yankeefan said:
vwnut13 said:
numba1yankeefan said:

No thanks.

Johnny Damon please.

Can Matsui still walk with those crumbled knees?

Damon would be a much better option. The Yankees need someone like Damon. Someone who won't swing for the fences whenever the team is losing.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
This actually makes sense for both teams. Soriano could hit 30 bombs as a DH for the Yankees, which they need. If you can bat Soriano 8th, he'll give you pretty nice production for that slot. Burnett gives the Cubs another mid-rotation starter and he'd probably do better away from New York. If the Cubs are going to grossly overpay for a player, Burnett makes more sense than Soriano for the Cubs needs.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Even though I loved Vladdy as a player, I'll never understand what good it does bringing in someone like Matsui, Vladdy, or Damon to be your DH, hit .260ish less than 20 HR and less than 60 RBi.

Not only that, they can't play the field so they suck up a roster spot and when the get on base they practically have to crawl to score. Why not just bring up another bat and fresh legs from AAA and see who is the hottest? It'll be much cheaper too.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
James52411 said:
This actually makes sense for both teams. Soriano could hit 30 bombs as a DH for the Yankees, which they need. If you can bat Soriano 8th, he'll give you pretty nice production for that slot. Burnett gives the Cubs another mid-rotation starter and he'd probably do better away from New York. If the Cubs are going to grossly overpay for a player, Burnett makes more sense than Soriano for the Cubs needs.

Agreed.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
The good thing is it would open an OF spot for Brett Jackson. The bad thing is it clogs up the rotation so we would have Garza, Dempster, Maholm, Wells, Volstad, and Wood

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ahill1 said:
The good thing is it would open an OF spot for Brett Jackson. The bad thing is it clogs up the rotation so we would have Garza, Dempster, Maholm, Wells, Volstad, and Wood

Garza and Dempster are the only guys who should be guaranteed rotation spots. The rest of them should have to fight for it in spring training. Depth at the back end of the rotation is a good thing. The injuries to Cashner and Wells last year murdered the season, so preventing that from happening is a must.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Crash Davis said:
Since when does Vladdy hit .260?

Ok, Vladdy didn't hit .260 but he certainly didn't produce to warrant being a full time DH for $8 mil. Matsui and Damon didn't either. You get my point.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
James52411 said:
ahill1 said:

Garza and Dempster are the only guys who should be guaranteed rotation spots. The rest of them should have to fight for it in spring training. Depth at the back end of the rotation is a good thing. The injuries to Cashner and Wells last year murdered the season, so preventing that from happening is a must.
Well we will not have to worry about Cashner getting hurt.....since he is no longer on the team. And Wood is not even in the mix as a stater he is only going to be used for late relief and maybe a spot close here an there....and wells most likely will be in the pen as well.
So you can take 2 off the list and you have your 5 starters ;) But I think if they land AJ then Garza is gone for some prospects.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
Soriano statistically is on the decline....why would NYY want to pick him back up? On a side note I just watched moneyball for the 1st time(great movie) I think they need more players who can "get on base" :lol: GO YANKS IN 2012! :cool:

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Pine Tar said:
James52411 said:
ahill1 said:

Well we will not have to worry about Cashner getting hurt.....since he is no longer on the team. And Wood is not even in the mix as a stater he is only going to be used for late relief and maybe a spot close here an there....and wells most likely will be in the pen as well.
So you can take 2 off the list and you have your 5 starters ;) But I think if they land AJ then Garza is gone for some prospects.

Travis Wood ;)
Dealing Soriano while absorbing less money by taking Burnett sounds like an ok idea.

Members online

Latest posts