Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BP's Reds Top 11 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
https://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15854

System In 20 Words Or Less: Considering the trades made for a 2012 run at the National Leaugue Central, there is still some strength in the system.

Five-Star Prospects
1. Billy Hamilton, SS
2. Devin Mesoraco, C
Three-Star Prospects
3. Zack Cozart, SS
4. Robert Stephenson, RHP
5. Daniel Corcino, RHP
6. J.C. Sulbaran, RHP
7. Didi Gregorius, SS
8. Todd Frazier, UT
9. Neftali Soto, 1B
10. Henry Rodriguez, 2B
Two-Star Prospects
11. Yorman Rodriguez, OF

Nine More:
12. Kyle Lotzkar, RHP: Can't stay healthy, but continues to tease with some of the best stuff in the system.
13. Kyle Waldrop, OF: Athletic outfielder impressed Pioneer League scouts in 2011, has excellent chance to move up.
14. Donnie Joseph, LHP: Lefty reliever has bat-missing arsenal; could reach big leagues in 2012 with more strikes.
15. Gabriel Rosa, 3B: 2011 second-round pick is raw, but has the potential for plus power and defense.
16. Tony Cingrani, LHP: 2011 third-rounder has crazy number in pro debut, but projects for many as reliever.
17. Ryan LaMarre, OF: 2010 second-rounder has speed and contact ability, but leaves scouts underwhelmed with overall hitting.
18. Tucker Barnhart, C: Will get to the big leagues on defensive chops alone, but backup bat.
19. Juan Duran, OF: Finally began to untap the power in 2011, but is still uncoordinated after growing to six-foot-seven.
20. Ryan Wright, 2B: Overachiever with more skills than tools, but hard not to like.

1. Billy Hamilton, SS
DOB: 9/9/90
Height/Weight: 6'1/160
Bats/Throws: S/R
Drafted/Signed: 2nd round, 2009, Taylorsville HS (MS)
2011 Stats: .278/.340/.360 at A (135 G)
Tools Profile: The fastest player in baseball, and learning how to hit.

Year in Review: Most exciting player in the minors reached triple-digits in stolen bases while making advancements throughout the year in other facets of the game.
The Good: To say Hamilton is an 80 runner does not do justice to the impact his speed has on the game. He has been known to go from first to third on singles to left field, has scored from second on sacrifice flies, and is a threat to steal both second and third whenever he reaches base. Beyond the wheels, he gets excellent jumps and has been successful in 84 percent of his attempts. He improved his approach and simplified his swing as the season wore on and hit .318/.382/.387 after the All-Star break. He has plenty of range at shortstop.
The Bad: Range is really Hamilton's only plus ability defensively. His footwork gets sloppy and scouts debate whether he has the arm for the left side of the infield, with most wanting to see him end up in centerfield. He has well below-average power, with many of his mere 30 extra-base hits in 2011 coming when he ran singles into doubles.
Ephemera: Hamilton looked like he'd fall just short of the century mark in stolen bases before swiping eight in his final three games.
Perfect World Projection: Leadoff man who gets on-base and wins stolen base titles annually.
Fantasy Impact: Potentially massive, as he could bring back the days of the 70-plus stolen base man.
Path to the Big Leagues: Hamilton could be in line for a big season in the California League in 2012.
ETA: 2014

If you have any questions, PM me.

Original Boski

Oct 28, 2010
Even with the trades, the Reds still have a pretty strong system. A lot of international guys that are relatively unknown that could turn into very good players. I'm particularly bullish on Corcino, Gregorious, Soto, the two Rodriguez', and Donnie Joseph. The Reds have done very well at drafting and developing talent and I expect that trend to continue.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
GAbballplayer148 said:
How long is Todd Frazier going to be a prospect? Sheesh, he needs a chance somewhere...trade him, Reds!

two words - DUSTY BAKER

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I was hoping to see Brodie Greene anywhere on this list. Is there a full ranking per team? I am curious to see where he falls in.

Original Boski

Oct 28, 2010
Frazier doesn't have a skill set that wows you anywhere, but he can spell for guys at the OF corners, 3B, 1B and in a pinch 2B or SS. The Reds will have him on the 25 man all year, but I wouldn't expect more than a couple hundred PA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts