Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dual/Triple/Quad Autos in 2011 Elite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I don't know about you but I've never been a fan of dual/triple/quad autos in any set, mostly because the player pairings are usually poor. In prospect sets you wind up with one good player and two guys who don't make it past AA - so I've always seen these autos as a little bit of a downer, when it comes to hitting one.

However, when I was researching Elite sales - I would say I might be in the minority, many like the ones below are going for big bucks.

[phil:1gsm0bsa]220930431293[/phil:1gsm0bsa] - Bradley/Bundy/Fulmer
[phil:1gsm0bsa]120839890424[/phil:1gsm0bsa] - Bradley/Bundy/Fulmer
[phil:1gsm0bsa]250974761666[/phil:1gsm0bsa] - Quad Auto including Mahtook
[phil:1gsm0bsa]150738117308[/phil:1gsm0bsa] - Bauer Cole Dual Auto
[phil:1gsm0bsa]170764439884[/phil:1gsm0bsa] - Triple Auto including Springer

Are you buying these or do you know some who are? Why do you think they are selling so well?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm with you. Multi-player prospect auto cards almost never pan out, and even in the rare event that they do, they still are generally less popular than a regular RC Auto. Those sale prices are really high IMO. Looking at a couple they appeared to be BIN's. Have any been sold in auction?

That said, they do look really nice.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I find multi autos to be pretty cool though the pairings of the Topps USA ones has been a significant turnoff. I think the common theme/good pairings of the ones from Elite, combined with the limited production of 10 each is helping the sales a lot. I'd love to get the Cole/Bauer but $100+ is way too steep for me at the moment. They'll dry up very fast too with only 10 of each produced.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Some no name duals have sold:

[phil:1x6nb4la]350524424578[/phil:1x6nb4la], [phil:1x6nb4la]350523955108[/phil:1x6nb4la], [phil:1x6nb4la]320827696258[/phil:1x6nb4la], [phil:1x6nb4la]220929941999[/phil:1x6nb4la] and [phil:1x6nb4la]150734774318[/phil:1x6nb4la]

A starling/bell dual sold for [phil:1x6nb4la]300649748754[/phil:1x6nb4la]

one quad ends tomorrow night [phil:1x6nb4la]260933236947[/phil:1x6nb4la] but with the high BINs and Best Offers being hit not too many have even went up for auction.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I'm hunting the Gray/Garvin/Westlake/Williams quad /10. But I am buying as a Vanderbilt collector, not as a prospector. Even dual autos with two good prospects tend to be bad investments for prospecting, I've found. Plus they are stickers, and for the quads, half of the autos are on the back of the card. Not exactly ideal for display or anything.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
VandyDan said:
I'm hunting the Gray/Garvin/Westlake/Williams quad /10. But I am buying as a Vanderbilt collector, not as a prospector. Even dual autos with two good prospects tend to be bad investments for prospecting, I've found. Plus they are stickers, and for the quads, half of the autos are on the back of the card. Not exactly ideal for display or anything.

Now that would be cool, I can see doing something like that in other sports (my alma mater Illinois sucks at baseball) - for instance, I would have bought a Dee Brown, Deron Williams, Luther Head triple auto in a heartbeat after the 2005 season.

I can see that appeal as a collector.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
masonphillip said:
VandyDan said:

Now that would be cool, I can see doing something like that in other sports (my alma mater Illinois sucks at baseball) - for instance, I would have bought a Dee Brown, Deron Williams, Luther Head triple auto in a heartbeat after the 2005 season.

So if you ever see one in your travels, you know you have a PM to send, haha.

I'm not thinking it'll be super expensive, as it only has one really desirable prospect, and the one it has signs nearly everything that is asked of him. Leaf, Bowman, USA, EEE. Sonny Gray is a pretty good contender for the Young Bob Feller Award.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
VandyDan said:
masonphillip said:
VandyDan said:

I'm not thinking it'll be super expensive, as it only has one really desirable prospect, and the one it has signs nearly everything that is asked of him. Leaf, Bowman, USA, EEE. Sonny Gray is a pretty good contender for the Young Bob Feller Award.

I read young Bob Feller award several times prior to realizing that you meant signs everything that comes near him, not fireballing undersized righty.

good stuff.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Keyser Soze said:
A Bundy/Hultzen/Bauer/Cole quad was just listed with a $4.99 starting bid, should be interesting

That starting bid is no longer...[phil:36iniqyr]250975716334[/phil:36iniqyr] /3 to boot!

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
masonphillip said:
VandyDan said:
masonphillip said:
VandyDan said:

I read young Bob Feller award several times prior to realizing that you meant signs everything that comes near him, not fireballing undersized righty.

good stuff.

Haha, glad you caught that. I've been to 3 Vandy baseball games since I graduated and have 5 IP Gray autos if that is any indication. Sonny was always signing something for someone. He was a middle TN legend even before college, and is one of the good guys out there, in terms of going out of his way to be good to fans. I don't think I've ever seen him turn down an autograph request from someone that wasn't clearly a memorabilia dealer.

Members online