Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Darvish sign with Rangers by deadline?

Does Yu Darvish sign with Texas by the 4pm deadline today

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
FWIW
CBS:
The great likelihood is that the Darvish deal gets done for slightly more than "Dice-K money,'' say people familiar with the talks who are referring to the $52-million, six-year contract Daisuke Matsuzaka signed with the Boston Red Sox. That's logical because while Darvish is considered the better pitcher (18-6 with a 1.44 ERA and a Pacific League-leading 276 strikeouts in 2011), the posting fee of $51,703,411 for him was just barely above the $51,111,111 fee the Red Sox paid for Matsuzaka, and Darvish's agent Arn Tellem has no other alternative but to take him back to Japan, in what is seen as a generally unpalatable alternative for star Japanese stars who go to the trouble of posting.

While there was still said to be a difference on the years, with Darvish wanting five so he could become a free agent at 30, and Texas wanting to repeat Matsuzaka's six-year contract, everyone surrounding the negotiation suggested the deal is likely to get done before the deadline Wednesday if the range of $55 million. (side note: Boston's first offer to Matsuzaka had been half that, $28 million.)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
When you have a hard deadline like this (summer signing deadline, etc) there's no reason not to let it come down to the wire, exerting maximum leverage on the other side. I'd think for $50+ mil (non-refundable?) the American team should have indefinite pro rights on such a player, but that's just me.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
smapdi said:
When you have a hard deadline like this (summer signing deadline, etc) there's no reason not to let it come down to the wire, exerting maximum leverage on the other side. I'd think for $50+ mil (non-refundable?) the American team should have indefinite pro rights on such a player, but that's just me.

If he doesn't sign, nothing happens and the Rangers do not pay his Japanese team. They only pay their winning bid if Darvish signs a contract with them.

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
395988_363233557024129_100000124635650_1561325_1135141132_n.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Can't wait to see Yu pitch in the bigs. How will they handle him? Quick trick in the minors?

I imagine his cardboard will be "slightly tepid" when he appears in the Texas uni?

Latest posts