Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A's may make Manny Ramirez their DH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
from ESPN.com

ORLANDO -- The Oakland Athletics are "very interested" in making Manny Ramirez their designated hitter next season, a source told ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com.

Ramirez, 39, has been working out in Miami since December and has plans to have open workout sessions for clubs interested in his services at the end of January.

Last week, ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com reported that the Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays had a look at Ramirez batting in an indoor cage.

"The Orioles and Blue Jays saw Manny work and Baltimore liked what it saw, but Oakland has been the team that has expressed the most interest, even before having him work out," the source said.

Ramirez, a .312 lifetime hitter with 555 home runs and 1,831 career RBIs over 19 seasons, was reinstated by Major League Baseball from the "voluntarily retired" list after the Dominican player opted to leave the game instead of serving a second suspension for violating the league's banned substances policy in 2011 while playing for the Tampa Bay Rays.

In an agreement reached with MLB, Ramirez must serve a 50-game suspension upon finding a team that will sign him instead of the customary 100-game suspension levied on repeat offenders.

"Every day that goes by I regret the decisions I made due to bad advice," Ramirez told ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com in December. "We're all human and we make mistakes. Everyone deserves an opportunity to show that they have changed."

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Austin said:
from ESPN.com

ORLANDO -- The Oakland Athletics are "very interested" in making Manny Ramirez their designated hitter next season, a source told ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com.

Ramirez, 39, has been working out in Miami since December and has plans to have open workout sessions for clubs interested in his services at the end of January.

Last week, ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com reported that the Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays had a look at Ramirez batting in an indoor cage.

"The Orioles and Blue Jays saw Manny work and Baltimore liked what it saw, but Oakland has been the team that has expressed the most interest, even before having him work out," the source said.

Ramirez, a .312 lifetime hitter with 555 home runs and 1,831 career RBIs over 19 seasons, was reinstated by Major League Baseball from the "voluntarily retired" list after the Dominican player opted to leave the game instead of serving a second suspension for violating the league's banned substances policy in 2011 while playing for the Tampa Bay Rays.

In an agreement reached with MLB, Ramirez must serve a 50-game suspension upon finding a team that will sign him instead of the customary 100-game suspension levied on repeat offenders.

"Every day that goes by I regret the decisions I made due to bad advice," Ramirez told ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com in December. "We're all human and we make mistakes. Everyone deserves an opportunity to show that they have changed."

What loser.....I took steiroids due to "bad advice". Really? You finger pointing tool bad, quick making excuses and blaming others.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
His rep is trashed, and he can't hurt it any more then he already has, so I can't be the only one that hopes he gets with a team. If he can produce, without the juice, I'll take those stupid manny moments on the highlight reels all day

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
This made me laugh.
manny-ramirez-like-you-didn-39-t-already-know-he-crazy.jpg

The Oakland A's

"Where yesterday's stars go to die"

The list just keeps growing with former stars of the 90's who go to A's for that last itsy bitsy paycheck

Frank Thomas- The only 1 who at least put up respectable numbers
Nomar Garciapara
Mike Piazza
Manny Ramirez

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As a baseball fan my reaction is:

::facepalm::

As an A's fan my reaction is:

:? :benson:

(Unless he's a lot better Starting Pitcher than I thought!) :lol:

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
George_Calfas said:
ChasHawk said:
Why the F would they let him drop down to 50 games?

50 "credit" for not being allowed to play in DR Winter Ball

I thought it was something to do with the games after he retired not the winter league.

If it truely was the winter league, all players that get caught taking steroids should sign up. I'm talking to you Ryan Braun. :lol:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
vwnut13 said:
George_Calfas said:
ChasHawk said:
Why the F would they let him drop down to 50 games?

50 "credit" for not being allowed to play in DR Winter Ball

I thought it was something to do with the games after he retired not the winter league.

If it truely was the winter league, all players that get caught taking steroids should sign up. I'm talking to you Ryan Braun. :lol:
I thought was that he left under the old CBA and now there is a new CBA in place so it is like the first offense never happen
so he gets a 50 gamer all over again under this new contract of the CBA.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The A's are being actively destructive at this point. It's almost like they are trying to put together a pitiful, unlikable team so that attendance will crater and they can move to San Jose.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
It was because of his "attempt" to play Winter ball and not being allowed to do so which, in theory, constituted games served and this is why they "made an agreement".

In September 2011, reports surfaced that Ramirez was planning on playing in the Dominican Winter League for the Cibao Eagles. In a statement, the team said that Ramirez hoped to motivate other Major League stars to play in the country. However, the MLB Commissioners office issued a statement that since the Dominican League is affiliated with MLB, Ramirez would not be eligible to play without first serving his mandated suspension.

Upon hearing that his plans to play in the winter league would not work, Ramirez decided to formally request reinstatement with MLB and that he was willing to serve his 100 game suspension for the second violation of the drug policy. He stated that he was not prepared for retirement and that he will be available for any MLB team and if none show interest, then he will "play in Japan or some other place".

On December 4 it was announced that Ramirez had formally filed the papers with the league to be reinstated to baseball and that an agreement had been reached between MLB and the Players Association that he would only need to serve a 50 game suspension instead of the original 100 games.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I don't care - he'll probably flop like he did with the Tampa Bay Rays - but I'd like to see what he can still do regardless of whatever garbage he drags along with him.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I think Miami is gonna sign him a couple of days before opening day. Use him as a further publicity draw and as a PH, a la Giambi in Colorado.

Members online

Latest posts