Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Topps New Variations Discovered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cincykid75

Sep 30, 2008
Hello,

Last week I posted a scan of two different 2011 Topps Kevin Gregg's that showed a sharp contrast in color.
I have also discovered three more of these variations within the past week.

It appears that Topps went back and 'airbrushed' these for placement in this years factory sets.
The cards in question are #66 R.A. Dickey, #191 Jay Bruce and #272 J.J. Hardy.

Here are the scans:

2011ToppsDickeyErr0001.jpg

2011ToppsDickeyErr0002.jpg

2011ToppsDickeyErr0004.jpg

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Maybe I'm missing it but what looks to be air brushed? I see a color difference across both cards, one card appears to be lighter and the other dark. Skin tones are different, the crowd, grass and dirt is different and the dark tones don't "pop" as much. Looks more like the ink was running out or a different color filter was used to print that batch of cards.

cincykid75

Sep 30, 2008
The 'dirt' areas on the cards appear to have been touched up a bit. The differences really stick out like a sore thumb when you look at them in hand. There's definitely an ink issue with the Bruce card though. Perhaps Topps was just having some production issues. I'm definitely not claiming that these are 'official' variations. I just figured that I would put the info out there for all of you decide.

A_Pharis

It's not just the dirt.
It's the entire card. It looks like someone went back and altered the exposure to cut down on the "white spots". A side affect just happens to be the dirt taking on a different hue. Not sure if I'd call it a variation as much as possibly swapping something between print runs.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Pretty neat catch IMO. Common or not, if Upton had a variation like this, I'd pick it up and I'd bet other player collectors would as well if they noticed this with their guy.

Members online

No members online now.