Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BP Tigers Top 11 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
(This time, I decided to copy the "stars" ranking in this list because it's so glaring the difference between top and bottom...notice...there is NO 4 star prospect in the system!)

Five-Star Prospects
1. Rick Porcello, RHP
Three-Star Prospects
2. Cale Iorg, SS
3. Ryan Perry, RHP
4. Casey Crosby, LHP
5. Wilkin Ramirez, OF
6. Dusty Ryan, C
7. Jeff Larish, 1B
8. Ryan Strieby, 1B
Two-Star Prospects
9. Cody Satterwhite, RHP
10. Casper Wells, CF
11. Zach Simons, RHP

Just Missed: Alfredo Figaro, RHP; Brent Jacobson, RHP; Scott Sizemore, 2B

Ranking Challenges: The gap between the Tigers' top prospect and all of the others in the organization is larger than it is for any team in the game. The system is crowded with mediocre prospects that would all be candidates for the ninth through 11th slots, and the three-star prospects would be legitimate in any order.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Glad to see they have Ryan Strieby on the list, but I still don't understand how this guy isn't the #2 prospect in the Tigers' system. The guy hit 29 flippin homeruns last year, led the league or was in the top 5 in the league in most major batting statistics, plays gold glove defense at first base with about a .990 fielding %, and WAS NAMED THE TIGERS' MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEAR. How can you be player of the year, put up such huge numbers, and be ranked #8 in the organization?!?!? Not to mention...it's an organization that other than one or two other guys, frankly just sucks.

When are people gonna believe in this guy? I sure do.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I agree about Strieby, but to be fair, the list does say that the 3-star prospects could actually be ranked in any order.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jays_Cards said:
I agree about Strieby, but to be fair, the list does say that the 3-star prospects could actually be ranked in any order.

IMO he should be a 4-star. Seriously, look up the number of players that hit 29 or more homeruns in 2008. Not very many. And the ones that are 23 years old or younger you can probably count on one hand.

soxrchamps07

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":15j3fzto]I agree about Strieby, but to be fair, the list does say that the 3-star prospects could actually be ranked in any order.

IMO he should be a 4-star. Seriously, look up the number of players that hit 29 or more homeruns in 2008. Not very many. And the ones that are 23 years old or younger you can probably count on one hand.[/quote:15j3fzto]

nvm.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
soxrchamps07 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":3rlcf1zy]I agree about Strieby, but to be fair, the list does say that the 3-star prospects could actually be ranked in any order.

IMO he should be a 4-star. Seriously, look up the number of players that hit 29 or more homeruns in 2008. Not very many. And the ones that are 23 years old or younger you can probably count on one hand.

nvm.[/quote:3rlcf1zy]

I'm just sayin that with power like that, a great glove, good size for first base, it seems like he should be at least a 4-star guy to me because his performance in 2008 was clearly above the rest of the 3-star guys.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
The Tigers have been producing more MLBers recently. Mostly pitching, but I think it's the way to go. You can never have too much pitching, and if you do, you can get a pretty good hitter in return.

Realistically, only the very top guys end up being stars. It's pretty rare to see a lower tier guy become a star (it does happen). The Tigers have been very good recently at having at least 1 top 10 guy in the whole minors that makes a major impact. I'd rather have that than a bunch of mid range players.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
It seems to me that Strieby seems to get punished in the rankings because they know he is blocked at the Major League Level.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
Strieby shouldn't be higher than a 3 star prospect IMO.

Wilkin Ramirez and Casper Wells are both big sleepers, Wells might end up being a ROY candidate.

I talked to some guys that saw Hamilton pitch in Low A and they said he looked awful, although he did bounce back in the GCL that isn't saying much. I'm not a fan.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
walter55 said:
It seems to me that Strieby seems to get punished in the rankings because they know he is blocked at the Major League Level.

That would make sense, but I don't think that should affect his status as a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star prospect...just his ranking maybe.

Looking at this from another point of view, I'm not so sure if that matters though... if Matt Wieters was in a system with a solid MLB catcher already, would he really not be one of the top 5 prospects in all of baseball?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
goblue6919 said:
Strieby shouldn't be higher than a 3 star prospect IMO.

Wilkin Ramirez and Casper Wells are both big sleepers, Wells might end up being a ROY candidate.

I talked to some guys that saw Hamilton pitch in Low A and they said he looked awful, although he did bounce back in the GCL that isn't saying much. I'm not a fan.

Can you explain the underlined? I don't want to start a debate about it, but I really don't understand how he is not considered a top-tier prospect (or at least 4 stars). So basically I'm just looking for the other point of view, because the way I see it, there are no real weaknesses to his game, and his power is enormous.

And I definitely agree with the bolded statement, I'm a huge fan of Wilkin especially and look forward to tracking his progression this year.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
when miguel cabrera was 23 he hit .339 w/ 26 home runs.. in the big leagues. i wonder how well he would have done playing for the lakeland flying tigers

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
jeremy said:
when miguel cabrera was 23 he hit .339 w/ 26 home runs.. in the big leagues. i wonder how well he would have done playing for the lakeland flying tigers

Good point but Miguel Cabrera also didn't go to college (where by the way, Ryan Strieby was named the SEC player of the year as a junior AHEAD of Florida's Matt LaPorta)

Cabrera was a rare scenario that is hardly comparable to any major leaguer or minor league prospect.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
jeremy said:

Good point but Miguel Cabrera also didn't go to college (where by the way, Ryan Strieby was named the SEC player of the year as a junior AHEAD of Florida's Matt LaPorta)

Cabrera was a rare scenario that is hardly comparable to any major leaguer or minor league prospect.

College players generally get lower rankings because they are considered to be maxed out potential wise. Obviously, this can backfire. And has a lot recently. I'd say the quality of the college players has greatly increased in the last few years.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
nborton said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
jeremy said:

College players generally get lower rankings because they are considered to be maxed out potential wise. Obviously, this can backfire. And has a lot recently. I'd say the quality of the college players has greatly increased in the last few years.

Yep, not arguing here. But I just can't help thinking that 29 homeruns is a pretty big total for a minor leaguer. I guess we'll just see how he does this year.

Members online

Latest posts