Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Selling on eBay -- does it bother you when...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marterburn

With 50 free listings and free BIN option, I usually start at .99 and add a BIN that's maybe just a little high and hope someone hits it. Even after the free listings are used up, it's only .05 to add the BIN option. So there's the back story.

Does it bother you when, with 6 days to go in the auction, someone puts a really low bid in on something that spoils the BIN? I mean it's one thing to put a realistic bid in because the BIN was too high, but when the initial bidder gets outbid at $2.01, it kinda bugs me a little bit. For the sake of argument let's say I expect this to be a $25 card.

I know, I'm going to get the 'if you don't like it start your opening bids higher' argument, and I get that, I'm just wondering if this bothers anyone else.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
This is a good thread because when I see these auctions I have to admit I put in for example: .99 cents opening bid and $50 BIN, I will bid .99 cents instead of watching the auction, thus giving me a chance to get it for less than $50. I have seen many times that cards go for over BIN though when people do this so it can back fire.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
On auctions I want, I usually place 2 bids. An initial bid as more of place marker and a 2nd bid to win it. If auction gets too high before I can get my 2nd bid in, then I move on. Hopefully, some of your bidders also do this.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
If I expect a card to go for 25, I start the bidding at 14.99 or 19.99. I've come to realize that in the long run you scare off some bidders with higher buy ins, but it usually pays off because someone puts in the initial bid 90% of the time.

And yes, it used to piss me off.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
If i value the card i will post a higher starting bid or just put it back in a box . Rather have the $$ :lol: :lol:

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'll be honest, yes.

It never works for me to start the auction off at a higher price either because it usually scares off buyers. I've tried to sell cards that have recently sold for $100 for example that I list with a price of say $84.99 with a $99.99 BIN. This strategy for me generally ends up in the item ending unsold.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I hate that your BIN has to be 10% more than your opening bid.

I wanted to put up a $24.99 with a $26.49 BIN hoping I could get someone to bite on a card that should (and did) sell for $24.99.

I remember back in the day seeing auctions with a BIN $0.01 more than the starting price.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This is sorta unrelated, but I just wiffed on a PSA 9 1975 Yount that had an opening bid of $275 and a BIN of $375. I saw it at work and was going home to hit the BIN after I checked my accounts. But before I got home, someone put in an opening bid and washed out the BIN. Now the auction is over $400, which I knew it would. So, some idiot ruined it for everyone to come after him (but good on the seller I guess).

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
bballcardkid said:
I'll be honest, yes.

It never works for me to start the auction off at a higher price either because it usually scares off buyers. I've tried to sell cards that have recently sold for $100 for example that I list with a price of say $84.99 with a $99.99 BIN. This strategy for me generally ends up in the item ending unsold.
Auctions with high starting bids are a turn off to a lot of ebayers. Even though a lot of them are on par with completed sales, unless it's a really low numbered item they usually seem to end without bids. This seems to be the norm on ebay lately, 1000's of auctions ending daily with no bids. It seems dumb to me to list like that. As long as a item has a decent title there shouldn't be any reason that it wouldn't sell at the normal market price. But back to the original subject, I rarely ever list a item as both a auction and BIN. It only takes one person to kill the BIN with a bid. It just seems wiser to list as a BIN with "best offer" added.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Rickzcards said:
bballcardkid said:
I'll be honest, yes.

Auctions with high starting bids are a turn off to a lot of ebayers. Even though a lot of them are on par with completed sales, unless it's a really low numbered item they usually seem to end without bids. This seems to be the norm on ebay lately, 1000's of auctions ending daily with no bids. It seems dumb to me to list like that. As long as a item has a decent title there shouldn't be any reason that it wouldn't sell at the normal market price. But back to the original subject, I rarely ever list a item as both a auction and BIN. It only takes one person to kill the BIN with a bid. It just seems wiser to list as a BIN with "best offer" added.

Dumb? Not really.

Auctions are so volatile, depending on the card it makes little sense to risk it. Two examples of me being ***** as a seller from a low ending price due to me doing the $.99 and let ride thing come to mind:

1) 2010 Bowman Sterling Bubba Starling Black Refractor Jersey Auto BGS 9 /25 - Sold for roughly $120 (expected around $200)
2) 2008 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Mike Moustakas Auto /25 - Sold for roughly $130 (expected $225-$250), I sold another 4-5 months later for $350

It's so hard to sell on ebay, because buyers won't buy your item at a slightly competitive price. BIN/BO you get screwed over with higher fees and lowball offers. With auctions, you take it up the rear with no lube because of volatility. End rant.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
At times, I place those bids. I do it so that I can place my snipe, otherwise, the auction items/terms can change and with me at times having several hundred snipes set each week I don't have the time to keep up with each individual auction.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
bballcardkid said:
Rickzcards said:
bballcardkid said:
I'll be honest, yes.

Dumb? Not really.

Auctions are so volatile, depending on the card it makes little sense to risk it. Two examples of me being ***** as a seller from a low ending price due to me doing the $.99 and let ride thing come to mind:

1) 2010 Bowman Sterling Bubba Starling Black Refractor Jersey Auto BGS 9 /25 - Sold for roughly $120 (expected around $200)
2) 2008 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Mike Moustakas Auto /25 - Sold for roughly $130 (expected $225-$250), I sold another 4-5 months later for $350

It's so hard to sell on ebay, because buyers won't buy your item at a slightly competitive price. BIN/BO you get screwed over with higher fees and lowball offers. With auctions, you take it up the rear with no lube because of volatility. End rant.

BIN/BO have lower Fees.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
bballcardkid said:
Rickzcards said:
bballcardkid said:
I'll be honest, yes.

Dumb? Not really.

BIN/BO have lower Fees.

Final value fees for auctions and BIN/BO have different scales, so it depends on how much the auction sells for. I did the math a couple of months ago and I think the final result was that if it sold for less than $83 the final value fee was less for an auction and if it sold for more than $83 the final value fee was less for BIN/BO. The number wasn't exactly $83, but it was close to it. This number also changes for different categories, as some categories have different final value fee percentages.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
mrwhitesox30 said:
vwnut13 said:
bballcardkid said:
Rickzcards said:
bballcardkid said:
I'll be honest, yes.

Dumb? Not really.

BIN/BO have lower Fees.

Final value fees for auctions and BIN/BO have different scales, so it depends on how much the auction sells for. I did the math a couple of months ago and I think the final result was that if it sold for less than $83 the final value fee was less for an auction and if it sold for more than $83 the final value fee was less for BIN/BO. The number wasn't exactly $83, but it was close to it. This number also changes for different categories, as some categories have different final value fee percentages.

You are correct at the ~$83 mark.

The poster who said fees are more was talking about $200+ cards so in that case....

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Yep, bothers me too. And although I don't sell that much, every time I do it seems the winning bid goes just a tad higher than my original BIN. I guess I should just learn my lesson and conform to the marketplace, but I'd rather take my chances with a bidder who knows a fair deal when he sees it and buys and pays right away rather than with whoever might end up winning my auction.

As a buyer, I will admit that if you list a $25 card for, say, $9.99 or $14.99 opening bid or $25/$30 BIN, I will bid right away on it. It is absolutely true that high opening bids scare off bidders.

Members online

No members online now.