Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

why wont people just pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
2500 last night and 300 in so far, 12-18 hrs later.
anyone have any tricks to get people to just pay when
they win? it just gets worse and worse, and always great when
someone wins 500.00 worth of stuff, and you know
you wont see that for a week. rant over

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
BIN with instant payment required. Problem solved.

If you run auctions, expect many to take their sweet time. Some people win high-end auctions but don't have money until payday. Others win cheap auctions and just procrastinate on payment (it's human nature).

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I always pay right away, usually within the hour depending where I am. From a seller standpoint, it gets frustrating when you've got it all ready to go, and you have to wait 5, 6 ,7 days or more for payment. I put in my auctions that payment is expected within 3 business days, but I understand that things happen in life and if you need more time just contact me. I don't sell much anymore, but when I do, I usually get paid within 3 days ever since I've added that to the description

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I don't understand it. If you don't have the money at the time (or within a reasonable time from the end of the auction) don't bid, it's that simple. If something comes up in life and you had the money but it has to go somewhere else, contact the seller and let them know. Don't just string them along and leave them in the dark. I always run my payments through same day so the seller gets their money and I don't forget about it.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
Sjrmn91 said:
I don't understand it. If you don't have the money at the time (or within a reasonable time from the end of the auction) don't bid, it's that simple. If something comes up in life and you had the money but it has to go somewhere else, contact the seller and let them know. Don't just string them along and leave them in the dark. I always run my payments through same day so the seller gets their money and I don't forget about it.

exactly. what i dont get is, if you win a card, dont you want it? i sure as heck dont
want it on my desk anymore, and id think you would want it right away. I mean i have
5/5 for shipping speed, so anyone who sees that should be happy to know they will have
their card in 2-3 days. And with as much consignment as i do, id love to get people paid
faster, but what can i do? sigh

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I had some auctions end last Sunday and I am still waiting on payment for a $3 card and a $40 card....they rest FINALLY paid over the weekend. The problem is I don't want to have to run to the post office every other day so some people have to wait on me mailing stuff out a few extra days after paying.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I agree that it's bad and getting worse. Buyers now know that they can take their sweet ass time, and as long as they pay within 8 days, that sellers do not have the ability to hit them with a neg or even a neutral. I always pay within 24-hours. If I don't have the money at that particular time, then I pay with BML and then when I get the money, I pay off my BML tab

tyweb1

Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis
I always send the unpaid reminder on the 4th day. It usually doesn't work but it speeds of the NPB process and then I can either relist or sell to the underbidder. Unfortunately it takes 8 full days to fully run its' course.

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
This is just how I roll.

I snipe everything I bid on, so sometimes it may be 10-15 hours after an auction ends that i realize i even won, expecialy if the auction ends at night I also bid/win a lot of stuff. So I send out bulk payments for my auctions won 3-4 nights a week - usually Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I don't mind the slow payers on one or even a couple items but some people boggle my mind.

I have a guy that bought 66 cards from me. I had to send two invoices as ebay only allows 40 items on one invoice (why I have no clue).

He pays for 26 cards and not the other 40 totaling $90. Now he's on the sixth day and I have the opportunity to file NPB (which I usually do) but I don't want the flood the guys PM's with 40 emails from ebay...so I've contacted him three times in three days...no response...

I told him I would be filing them tomorrow. ::facepalm::

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
tyweb1 said:
I always send the unpaid reminder on the 4th day. It usually doesn't work but it speeds of the NPB process and then I can either relist or sell to the underbidder. Unfortunately it takes 8 full days to fully run its' course.

The only issue I've had with a buyer paying, I sent a reminder on the 4th day, no reply. 6th day I filed to cancel the transaction and he paid within 30 minutes of filing.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Not everyone is able to cover the maximum amount they bid right away, so requiring everyone to pay auctions right away will simply decrease bids and/or the amount they bid.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I think you want to get paid quickly, but are you willing to put that in your auction listings and risk losing
customers? The option is yours not theirs.

Kevin

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
As already mentioned, either put a BIN that requires instant payment or just learn to accept that you are using eBay which affords the buyers to take their time when paying. Having gripes about things that are uncontrolable (and you willingly agree to the terms), is fruitless.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
When I go to sell, I just assume 3 days to pay; as in: I don't expect to have the money for 3 days. Knowing this going in, I don't feel the need to get frustrated.

And for those of you that are going to the PO for every small package: why? If you don't want to use PP shipping, then the next time you go to the post office, go to the automated postal center and print a bunch of $2.51 stamps (under "buy another amount" in the stamps purchase screen). Then grab a handful of DC slips and mail that stuff from home.

I go to the PO once every 2 weeks, and that's if I'm selling and trading A LOT.

Incidently, $2.51 is the cost for a bubble mailer w/ DC. I know it's cheaper on Pay Pal, but if you're going to the PO, you're obviously not using it.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Complaining after 12-18 hours? Geez. Half the time I have no idea if I won an auction or not for a day or two.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, not all eBay shoppers are full time eBay shoppers. Many of them have jobs and lives, families and all of that fun stuff. I have this problem where paypal is blocked at work, I can't quite get it to work on my Blackberry, and I spend about 1% of my computer time on the computer at my house. That's the only one where I can get to paypal.

Not that I actually shop on ebays these days, but when I did, I usually took 3 or 4 days to pay. Sorry. I wasn't really in that much of a hurry to get the card in hand... I'm sorry!! I did always pay, if that helps my case any. When I saw a card I wanted, I set a snipe right away. 6 days later I wasn't thinking "I think today is the day when that card ends..." I'd just check my email one day and oh, look at that, I won!

I do buy the occasional baby toy or CD or whatever... I have noticed lately people will send a payment reminder less than 24 hours later. That bugs me, and I usually get in even less of a hurry to pay.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
braden said:
Complaining after 12-18 hours? Geez. Half the time I have no idea if I won an auction or not for a day or two.

~I bet you are one of those derelicts that gets a bill in the mail and lets it sit on his desk for three or four days before paying too, right??

*******!!~

braden

Aug 7, 2008
ccouch (Chad) said:
braden said:

~I bet you are one of those derelicts that gets a bill in the mail and lets it sit on his desk for three or four days before paying too, right??

*******!!~

"Water bill, third notice. Jury duty, third notice. Mortgage bill.. ooh, second notice!"

/drops bill down storm drain

Latest posts