Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Make Love NOT War, Leaf & Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

From SCN...

Topps and Leaf have settled their differences in a copyright case. Back in August, Topps filed copyright and trademark infringement claims against Leaf over an advertisement for its 2011 Leaf Best of Baseball product. Topps originally asked for damages, claiming Leaf didn't have the rights to use pictures of old Topps cards that feature the company's logos nor the players it has under exclusive contract.

At issue was a sell sheet distributed by Leaf showing vintage Topps cards that were placed into current Leaf packs as prizes.

On January 12, the two sides told a federal judge they were requesting dismissal of the case, having apparently settled their differences without a trial. The next day, federal judge Deborah Batts signed the order and the case was closed. There is no word on what, if anything, was agreed on to end the legal fight.

After Topps' filed its lawsuit, Leaf brought a counterclaim that called Topps' actions "unlawful, unfair, wrongful, malicious and fraudulent in that they constitute misuse of federal and state trademark law". The company said the scanned images it used in the sell sheet involved legally protected protected fair use. It also cited the thousands of eBay listings that utilize photos of Topps' cards and logos as part of its case.

toppsleaf-300x271.png

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
daveyou said:
cant we all just get along~

so who gets darvish exclusive auto deal??

my cash on brian's leaf imho

dave
Is it really worth the coin to get the deal?History has shown that Japanese pitchers do not excel in the majors(with the exception of Nomo to an extent).

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
The line "Topps cards that were placed into current Leaf packs as prizes" made me laugh. All I can think of is Cracker Jacks.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
hofmichael said:
daveyou said:
cant we all just get along~

so who gets darvish exclusive auto deal??

my cash on brian's leaf imho

dave
Is it really worth the coin to get the deal?History has shown that Japanese pitchers do not excel in the majors(with the exception of Nomo to an extent).

History has also shown that their cards sell quite well and obtaining an auto deal with Yu will galvanize the Japanese market for that manufacturer's products. It will obviously be better for the hobby if Topps gets the deal. Yu will help move 15-20 Topps products but only 2-4 Leaf products.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Let Leaf and Topps settle things like men. Give Leaf a MLBP and MLBPA license so they are on even ground license-wise with Topps and let's see who is the most creative/innovative!

Members online

Latest posts