Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you guys handle Postage Due on Ebay items?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I was just looking for advice on how you guys feel postage due should be handled on Ebay items. Here are a few of my questions:

1. As a buyer do you pay the postage or do you just say to return it to sender?

2. If you pay the postage is it fair to request that money back from the seller?

3. What kind of feedback do you leave if the seller does not refund the postage due?

I'm just looking for honest feedback on this subject as it has come up severall times. I'm starting to lean towards just returning the item to sender but I'd hate to lose a card I wanted over a couple of dollars of postage due and most times I am unable to determine exactly what item I have incoming that has the postage due, it could be anything. Any info on how you guys handle these situations would be greatly appreciated.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Mistakes happen and if the sellers is willing to reimburse you for the amount you had to spend, and all other aspects of the buy went well I would give a positive with 5 stars.

If the seller was to not pay you back or not respond sy s;; to your email, I would give a negative and give them a low rating for communication and for shipping charge

mmier118 said:
I was just looking for advice on how you guys feel postage due should be handled on Ebay items. Here are a few of my questions:

2. If you pay the postage is it fair to request that money back from the seller?

3. What kind of feedback do you leave if the seller does not refund the postage due?

I'm just looking for honest feedback on this subject as it has come up severall times. I'm starting to lean towards just returning the item to sender but I'd hate to lose a card I wanted over a couple of dollars of postage due and most times I am unable to determine exactly what item I have incoming that has the postage due, it could be anything. Any info on how you guys handle these situations would be greatly appreciated.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Huffamaniac said:
Mistakes happen and if the sellers is willing to reimburse you for the amount you had to spend, and all other aspects of the buy went well I would give a positive with 5 stars.

If the seller was to not pay you back or not respond sy s;; to your email, I would give a negative and give them a low rating for communication and for shipping charge

mmier118 said:

Mistakes do happen but most of the time the sellers know what they are doing. I get cards all the time that are in bubble mailers and only have 2 stamps on it. I am fortunate that my post office does not enforce the postage, otherwise I would be paying the difference like the OP.

I believe this is what the OP is referring to.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Here's a little more information and it's not the first time something like this has happened. But here are the actual messages. The auction was won for .01 and he charged .70 for shipping for a total of 0.71. Why this didn't come in a pwe is a mystery to me. Is a negative warrented in this case?

This message is from me:

Hi there was postage due on your package when it arrived. The post office charged me $1.74 of postage due on the package you sent. I understand that this is more than the total auction amount. I can provide a scan of the postage due stamp on your envelope if neccesarry. I would have just returned it to sender if I knew what item it was but I've bought a lot stuff on ebay and didn't want to risk a more expensive card being lost in the mail over $1.74 (the postage due notice did not specify what item was due postage it just said a package). I would like to be refunded the $1.74, let me know if this solution works for you as well. It's a small amount so I'm not going to get upset however it turns out but I'm just trying to come to a fair solution. Thank you,
This was the sellers response:

I don't understand why there would be a postage due on the package. It was just one card in a bubble envelope. By giving you 1.74, I essentially am paying you to take the card from me. I fail to grasp the logic. If you want, I can refund the .71, but I don't think it's fair that I pay you 1.74 for taking the card.
This was my response:

From my experience a 44 cents is not enough postage to cover a bubble mailer. It may slip through other post offices but mine unfortunately is a stickler for proper postage. I understand how it could be upsetting to refund more than the auction amount but if you look at it from my perspective I did pay the $1.74 to the post office and I payed the .71 to you. If .71 is all you feel it is fair to refund that is fine but ask yourself is it fair that, even after the refund, I payed $1.74 for an auction that's total was 0.71. Remember you are not paying me to take your card you are re-imbursing me for expenses I incurred picking up your package that did not have the proper postage. That was your mistake not mine, my mistake was paying the postage so if you feel that you don't want to reimburse the postage I understand, I wish I would have returned it to sender but then you'd be telling me you mailed it and I should have it etc. Either way I lose. I am happy to provide a scan of the postage due, if you feel there is an error you can take it up with the post office. Once you decide how you want to handle the situation I will leave appropriate feedback.

No corespondence since. Either way it's not a big deal to me but is it fair to drop a neg on him if you doesn't re-imburse the postage. What if he refunds just the 71 cents from the auction?

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
You handled the correspondence the correct way, very professional. If the seller only refunds you for the partial amount that you paid, a neutral or negative may be in order. If no refund, a negative no doubt. There is absolutely no reason the buyer should ever be responsible for additional shipping costs. The fact that the seller responded to you in the manner they did, shows that they aren't very bright and was trying to get away with low cost shipping.

If the seller cannot grasp the concept of being charged for additional costs that the buyer must pay, a neutral or negative may prompt him to do more research and learn the proper way to ship items.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
mmier118 said:
Here's a little more information and it's not the first time something like this has happened. But here are the actual messages. The auction was won for .01 and he charged .70 for shipping for a total of 0.71. Why this didn't come in a pwe is a mystery to me. Is a negative warrented in this case?

This message is from me:

Hi there was postage due on your package when it arrived. The post office charged me $1.74 of postage due on the package you sent. I understand that this is more than the total auction amount. I can provide a scan of the postage due stamp on your envelope if neccesarry. I would have just returned it to sender if I knew what item it was but I've bought a lot stuff on ebay and didn't want to risk a more expensive card being lost in the mail over $1.74 (the postage due notice did not specify what item was due postage it just said a package). I would like to be refunded the $1.74, let me know if this solution works for you as well. It's a small amount so I'm not going to get upset however it turns out but I'm just trying to come to a fair solution. Thank you,
This was the sellers response:

[quote:940gprn5]I don't understand why there would be a postage due on the package. It was just one card in a bubble envelope. By giving you 1.74, I essentially am paying you to take the card from me. I fail to grasp the logic. If you want, I can refund the .71, but I don't think it's fair that I pay you 1.74 for taking the card.
This was my response:

From my experience a 44 cents is not enough postage to cover a bubble mailer. It may slip through other post offices but mine unfortunately is a stickler for proper postage. I understand how it could be upsetting to refund more than the auction amount but if you look at it from my perspective I did pay the $1.74 to the post office and I payed the .71 to you. If .71 is all you feel it is fair to refund that is fine but ask yourself is it fair that, even after the refund, I payed $1.74 for an auction that's total was 0.71. Remember you are not paying me to take your card you are re-imbursing me for expenses I incurred picking up your package that did not have the proper postage. That was your mistake not mine, my mistake was paying the postage so if you feel that you don't want to reimburse the postage I understand, I wish I would have returned it to sender but then you'd be telling me you mailed it and I should have it etc. Either way I lose. I am happy to provide a scan of the postage due, if you feel there is an error you can take it up with the post office. Once you decide how you want to handle the situation I will leave appropriate feedback.

No corespondence since. Either way it's not a big deal to me but is it fair to drop a neg on him if you doesn't re-imburse the postage. What if he refunds just the 71 cents from the auction?[/quote:940gprn5]
If he does not reimburse you, NEG him.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Pay it, contact seller and get refund for difference, leave positive feedback.
It happens....
No refund, then a negative.
Return it. Then e-mail the seller that you will be filing a claim with eBay for Item not Received . It is the seller responsibility to get it to you in a timely fashion and with proper postage paid. Not for them to short-change it and fly by the seat of their pants and stick you with having to ask them for a refund for something they should have done right in the first place. When they are charging 3 bucks and even up to 5..... come on ass-hat make sure I get what I bought from you since I easily over paid for the actual shipping costs.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
The times it has happened to me, it seems postage was paid at the PO. In those cases, I'd inform the seller and let it be.

Members online

Latest posts