Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

More eBay madness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Check out what happened to this eBay seller from the PSA boards:

http://forums.collectors.com/messagevie ... did=844621

Here's another gem from that thread:

"I feel your pain. I just woke up this morning to having one of my listings end for "Right of Publicity" violation. The item was a signed (not certified out of a pack) 1988 Donruss Cal Ripken card. Yup, here is the message....

"The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Ripken Baseball, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

Listings or items that contain a celebrity's name, likeness, or signature may infringe his/her right of publicity. This right is generally defined as an individual's right to control and profit from the commercial use of his/her identity, and is not limited to only celebrities.

You may need the celebrity's authorization to use his/her name, likeness, or signature in a listing or to list an item using such elements. The use of a celebrity's name, likeness, or signature as part of an eBay listing is not permitted, unless the use was authorized by that person."

WTF. It's a signed baseball card!? I guess pretty soon we wont be able to sell any cards with players images or names on them."

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
aww.. the last post of that thread "From my understanding, when Ripken Baseball does this, it's because they believe the signature is not authentic. Otherwise they would pull all Ripken signatures. "

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
reljac said:
aww.. the last post of that thread "From my understanding, when Ripken Baseball does this, it's because they believe the signature is not authentic. Otherwise they would pull all Ripken signatures. "

Well that makes a bit more sense.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
sportscardtheory said:
reljac said:

Well that makes a bit more sense.

I would agree

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
reljac said:

some "corporations" keep a tight eye on what of theirs is listed on eBay.

years back i listed a Jeff Buckley Promo CD, his mother had it pulled (which she did a lot back in the day from what i learned)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
reljac said:

some "corporations" keep a tight eye on what of theirs is listed on eBay.

years back i listed a Jeff Buckley Promo CD, his mother had it pulled (which she did a lot back in the day from what i learned)

I never to this day heard what Buckley's voice even sounded like. However, I did go to see Chris Connelly open up for him but left after the opening act. All good though as I got to meet the Revolting **** in the parking with Chris Tucker (Ministry, etc.) Sorry, back on topic!

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Just wondering does ebay charge the seller for the days the item was posted? I know is done by them but if the item was there for a month before it taken down doesn't the seller have to pay something?

Members online

Latest posts