Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you rate the Cubs offseason?

Grade the Cubs offseason

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I am interested in what "outsiders" or non cubs fans think of their offseason. Obviously the team is "rebuilding", which is what needed to happen. What is your take on what the Cubs have done this off-season?

THe new Regime

Added Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to run the front office

Free Agent Signings
David Dejesus
Kerry Wood
Andy Sonnanstine
Manny Corpas
Paul Maholm

Trade Additions
Ian Stewart
Chris Volstad
Travis Wood
Anthony Rizzo
Zach Cates
Ronald Torreyes

Trade casualties
Andrew Cashner
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Zambrano

Free Agent Losses
Carlos Silva
Aramis Ramirez
Carlos Pena

My take, we have got younger, cheaper, and rid ourselves of some older players with bad contracts. We have added a couple of young starters in Wood and Volstad, a potential superstar in Anthony Rizzo. I think the potential addition of Mr. Cespedes could really put this off-season over the top for the Cubs.

Thoughts?

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I didn't put a grade on it, but here's just a little of my take.

The team definitely needed to shed a couple of contracts. If they could shed Soriano's as well, that would be a big help.

As a Reds fan, I was very excited to get Marshall from the Cubs, but I didn't like giving up Travis Wood. I think Wood has the potential to be a solid starter. Not an ace, but a good, dependable middle of the rotation guy.

I think the Cubs are setting themselves up to start being a competitor for the NL Central. I still think they're a couple of seasons away, but I think they are headed in the right direction.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Im liking what we have done so far. That being said there is a long way to go, but we are set up nicely for the future. We have some young talent and the farm is getting alot better. With the logjam at a couple positions in the minors we also have some tradebait (Junior Lake, Candelario, Vitters) . It'll be interesting to see the next year or 2 what moves Theo makes but so far I like it

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
They are blowing up the team as needed, and have gotten some usable pieces in return. I give them a B because many of the moves make sense, but they haven't totally ripped anyone off (unless Rizzo ends up being a stud). The Cubs will be crap this year, but at least they will figure out which of their kids can play over the next couple of years and are getting to the point of having some money to spend in free agency around 2014 when they are ready to try to compete.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
I gave a C, i think they have improved but there is still a lot of work to do.

If they grab Cespedes, i'll change it for a B.

I would like to hear from the 2 voters who gave a F...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Between the front office moves and dumping bad contracts/clubhouse cancers, I gave them a solid B. Cespedes would move it to a B+

And Matt, including D anf F was pointless, because you knew some assbags were just going to have to hit those... :|

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Automatic "B" for adding Theo. An "A" would have been grabbing a primo free agent as well. Rizzo could turn out to be a monster though.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
ChasHawk said:
Between the front office moves and dumping bad contracts/clubhouse cancers, I gave them a solid B. Cespedes would move it to a B+

And Matt, including D anf F was pointless, because you knew some assbags were just going to have to hit those... :|
You are welcome

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I think it is funnny that people give them an F. Yes, you can hate the Cubs, that is fine. But there is a ZERO % chance that any knowledgeable baseball fan says they failed this offseason.

They added young talent, added the two of the smartest minds in baseball, shed payroll, etc. They are not going to compete right now, they aren't trying to.

seriouscat.jpg

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
cubs are my nl team. always wanted to go to wrigley. had not been following colvin much but how was his season last year? i thought the cubs were high on him at one point. might be mistaken tho

egon8

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
I am interested in what "outsiders" or non cubs fans think of their offseason. Obviously the team is "rebuilding", which is what needed to happen. What is your take on what the Cubs have done this off-season?

THe new Regime

Added Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to run the front office

Free Agent Signings
David Dejesus
Kerry Wood
Andy Sonnanstine
Manny Corpas
Paul Maholm

Trade Additions
Ian Stewart
Chris Volstad
Travis Wood
Anthony Rizzo
Zach Cates
Ronald Torreyes

Trade casualties
Andrew Cashner
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Zambrano

Free Agent Losses :?:
Carlos Silva
Aramis Ramirez
Carlos Pena

My take, we have got younger, cheaper, and rid ourselves of some older players with bad contracts. We have added a couple of young starters in Wood and Volstad, a potential superstar in Anthony Rizzo. I think the potential addition of Mr. Cespedes could really put this off-season over the top for the Cubs.

Thoughts?

As a Sox fan, I must respect the work that the organization has done to this point.
Dumping Zambrano for a bag of dung would have been an improvement. He and Ozzie deserve each other.
Your free agent losses aren't really losses. Rizzo has a big upside in potential.
It pains me to admit, a solid B.
(Now ask me about the South Side! ::facepalm:: )

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
The only thing I think the Cubs did wrong is signing Dejesus. They're rebuilding and an aging veteran that doesn't do anything exceptional doesn't help. Keep the money.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
BrewerSuperCollector said:
The only thing I think the Cubs did wrong is signing Dejesus. They're rebuilding and an aging veteran that doesn't do anything exceptional doesn't help. Keep the money.

I like the DeJesus signing. He was a 3+ WAR player for six consecutive seasons 2005-2010. Only $5M annually.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Muskiesfan wrote in one of the MT's.....

Oh, the Cubs thread. Guaranteed Sam Banks gave them an F. :lol:

Just for THAT, I gave them a D, haha.

Getting Theo was huge for them, but they're still a few years out from competing for the division.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts