Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New collecting focus with pickups/scans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Moving the collection in a completely new direction and focusing primarily on TTM/IP autos of my favorite player and my favorite team. I hate to put thousands of dollars into cards that just sit around in boxes and binders and never see daylight. I will be moving everything including the entire O'Neill collection (minus 1 or 2 cards), and all my Yankees Topps base team sets. It has been a blast collecting O'Neill for the past 8 years, but I am no longer excited by the chase as I once was. Have been thinking about doing this for the past 6 months, finally decided it was time to let it go and start a new collecting project. Don't have as much time for the hobby as I used, this kind of project is perfect for a "part-time" collector.

1. Mariano Rivera TTM/IP & Certified On-Card Autographs
One of the greatest signatures of all-time. Looking to get at least one different auto one from each year during his career plus whatever certified on-card autos I can land. Only have one pack auto so far, a Recollection Collection buyback #/23. I want to eventually get these all slabbed/certified and put in a graded card frame/display cabinet.

2. 1998 New York Yankees TTM/IP Autographs
Want one autograph of the 45 players/coaches on the 1998 Yankees team. Have 23 players thus far, but always looking to upgrade for ones with better eye appeal and try for a "type set," where each of the 45 autos are on cards from different years/manufacturers.

Here is the progress,current pickups towards the top.

The 1998 New York Yankees (23/45 = 51%)

RyanBradley.jpg
MikeLowell.jpg
JorgePosada.jpg
DarrylStrawberry.jpg

AndyPettitte-1.jpg
DerekJeter.jpg
TimRaines.jpg
LuisSojo.jpg

chilidavis.jpg
brosius.jpg
BernieWilliams.jpg
ShaneSpencer.jpg

ChadCurtis.jpg
HidekiIrabu.jpg
mendoza-1.jpg
cone.jpg

JoeTorre.jpg
JoeGirardi.jpg
JeffNelson.jpg
JayTessmer.jpg

HomerBush.jpg
TinoMartinez.jpg

Mariano Rivera

Pinnacle.jpg
rivera.jpg
ginter.jpg
MarianoRivera2.jpg

Goudey.jpg
Topps.jpg
MarianoRivera5.jpg

psa_a.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Just a word of advice; keep your O'neill cards because you'll eventually come back to them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people sell off player collections and then regret the hell out of it. If you don't want to pump any more money into it now I understand but just box it up and give it time.

The passion that drove you to collect him may have taken a vacation but it will come back.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Mozzie22 said:
Just a word of advice; keep your O'neill cards because you'll eventually come back to them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people sell off player collections and then regret the hell out of it. If you don't want to pump any more money into it now I understand but just box it up and give it time.

The passion that drove you to collect him may have taken a vacation but it will come back.

THIS.

Also, do you really want 15 cents on the dollar for your cards?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
ThoseBackPages said:
Mozzie22 said:

THIS.

Also, do you really want 15 cents on the dollar for your cards?

Agree with these here, too. And it may be worse than 15 cents on the dollar. I came up with a little algorithm that includes time spent as a player collector, and it works out to about three-tenths of a cent on the dollar...
Unless you absolutly hate them, or there's another O'Neill collector out there? :lol: :shock: :shock:

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hofmichael - Not a fan of the horizontal cards, but do like the design. The the player outline, like in 1963 Fleer set, is my favorite part.

wolfmanalfredo - The Heritage is my favorite. Simple design, perfect signature, and a Warhol-esque portrait of Rivera.

PadresFan86 - I feel the same way about the '90s Chicago Bulls. BTW, impressive Caminiti collection!

muskiesfan - Joe, thank for the wishes. Looking forward to sending out my first batches of TTMs for spring training this year, hope I can have as much success as you have had.

Mozzie22 & ThoseBackPages - Sold my Rivera collecion two years ago, haven't regretted it once. I still do collect Rivera, but in a different manner. I am no longer interested in chasing after every single card but if I pick something up, I would rather go after quality/unique pieces. Looking to do the same sorta thing with O'Neill. My purchasing has been on freeze for past 6 months, I've definitely thought this over.

Gwynn545 - Hoping to ultimately break even with money spent. I don't even want to consider factoring in time lol. There are a handful of O'Neill collectors but Yankee collectors are plenty, hoping that helps me get there.

Members online

Latest posts