Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I swear I searched, but what am I doing wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I'm trying to copy img thumbnails into a post.

If I hit preview once it shows up fine on my screen, but when I try to post it, it looks like this.

If you look at the url code it is taking the "/?action=view&current=Scan" which makes it work

and condescending it to "/?action=view¤t=Scan" (notice the hieroglyphs sun instead of "&current" that should be there. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
IUjapander said:

If I hit preview once it shows up fine on my screen, but when I try to post it, it looks like this.

If you look at the url code it is taking the "/?action=view&current=Scan" which makes it work

and condescending it to "/?action=view¤t=Scan" (notice the hieroglyphs sun instead of "&current" that should be there. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

I just erased the odd character and replaced the "¤" in there and it appears to be working.
Ha, now it's doing it where I typed "& curren" (without the space). Weird. :?

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
cartersprings said:
IUjapander said:

If you look at the url code it is taking the "/?action=view¤t=Scan" which makes it work

and condescending it to "/?action=view¤t=Scan" (notice the hieroglyphs sun instead of "¤t" that should be there. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

I just erased the odd character and replaced the "¤" in there and it appears to be working.
Ha, now it's doing it where I typed "& curren" (without the space). Weird. :?

Yep in my post I typed (ampersand)current and it replaced it with the weird thing, is it because I'm using Chrome?

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I don't think so. I'm on FF and it put the odd symbol in when I typed it out in my message. However, when I replaced it via copy & paste in the quote it worked fine.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
cartersprings said:
I don't think so. I'm on FF and it put the odd symbol in when I typed it out in my message. However, when I replaced it via copy & paste in the quote it worked fine.

So then I guess the people that have posted thumbnails didn't hit preview and have never edited their post? Because again if I just do it once, or do the copy/paste it works fine....

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
cartersprings said:

But if you hit preview, or if I went in and tried to add more images it does the weird thing.

I just brought in our website programmer and he tried to explain why it is doing this, but like most of the times I talk to him it went way over my head.

He said this website reads HTML code (which I thought every web site read), and one of the functions in html is using the ampersand to show characters that are not on the keyboard

so & + deg with no space = °

and you have a degree symbol

so this website is reading the & curren as a command which turns it into ¤ and then it breaks the url link.

I wonder if the programmer could turn this off, or how people have worked around this?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Well [ url ]ACTUAL URL[ /url ] (with no spaces) makes a link. If you're trying to show an image, use [ img ]IMAGE LOCATION[ /img ] (no spaces).

Your browser also looks at what are called ascii symbols and interpolates them into non-alphanumeric characters. So &-amp; (ampersand-"amp"-semi-colon without the dashes) turns into & on-screen. Because nefarious people can exploit this for evil, publically writable websites like this one typically have a filter to prevent or pre-interpolate these constructions into something safe. And it looks like using the preview function will also do that, so if you have something like &-amp; and use the preview before submitting, you will be submitting an actual & instead of the ascii construction. In a URL, this could change &-curren to a ¤. URLs like the photobucket one pass data around in the 'query string', the part of a URL after the domain name and question mark. This is a little annoying in cases like this because each key-value pair is separated with a &, which is also the cur for your browser to look for an ascii character tag.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
smapdi said:
Well [ url ]ACTUAL URL[ /url ] (with no spaces) makes a link. If you're trying to show an image, use [ img ]IMAGE LOCATION[ /img ] (no spaces).

Your browser also looks at what are called ascii symbols and interpolates them into non-alphanumeric characters. So &-amp; (ampersand-"amp"-semi-colon without the dashes) turns into & on-screen. Because nefarious people can exploit this for evil, publically writable websites like this one typically have a filter to prevent or pre-interpolate these constructions into something safe. And it looks like using the preview function will also do that, so if you have something like &-amp; and use the preview before submitting, you will be submitting an actual & instead of the ascii construction. In a URL, this could change &-curren to a ¤. URLs like the photobucket one pass data around in the 'query string', the part of a URL after the domain name and question mark. This is a little annoying in cases like this because each key-value pair is separated with a &, which is also the cur for your browser to look for an ascii character tag.

My brain hurts...seriously. I'll thank you later when my vision comes back... :)

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
smapdi said:

Thanks for the help, and I get it.

Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to show one of my collections that has quite a few pics. If you have ever seen any of pghbucos threads he does exactly what I'm trying to do. I scan in images so that they are large enough to actually see the picture when shown individually, but not so big they are annoying.

Example
Scan0346.jpg

But you can't show a ton of pics of this size, hence why I'm trying to use the thumb nail sizes so it looks nice and neat like this...

The problem is I can't hit preview to make sure that I got them in the right order. I also can't edit the post and add images to first page because once you hit submit it does the ascii transformation. So is what I'm trying to do impossible here?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
It's been happening ever since the site went through the server transfer and subsequent issues that screwed up feedback, the thanks button, etc.

I've noticed the same thing when trying to post thumbnails. They used to work fine, now you get your result.

Basically all the thumbnails are is the same code as the regular image with a th_ thrown in the correct place...like this:

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/IUjapander/th_Scan0305.jpg

For whatever reason, photobucket wants to also include a URL link to the full image whenever you post a thumbnail preview.

Members online