Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great Job Promoting Panini.......Ugh!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
So this may not be thread worthy, but didn't see any daily thread for the day to throw it in......

I was listening to Cowherd this morning and something Card related caught my attention.
Most of the athlete's this week come on with some promotion they plug at the end of the interview....i.e. Bettis doing a Pap John plug.

Today Christian Ponder was on and the sponsorship tie-in was Panini Trading Cards.
I figured that was cool, a little mainstream cardboard love.
But at the end of the interview when Cowherd sets him up for the plug he mentions "Panini trading cards.....are those little cards of Panini's or something?" To which Ponder describes "I actually have no idea what those are". They both laugh and Ponder reiterates again he doesn't know what Panini is. And Cowherd finishes the plug for Panini exclaiming something to the degree of "Brought to you by Panini Trading Cards.....whatever they are". ::facepalm::

The whole moment just seemed sad to me......I guess shame on me for thinking there might be a couple minutes on a National Radio Program where somebody was able to talk about the hobby and talk about some of the cool things they are doing. Oh well........

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I caught that, too. At first I was scared that Ponder had been signed to a Panini exclusive of sorts... then he said that he had no clue what they were talking about.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
No exclusives in the NFL, yet.

Ponder was probably just plugging the crap out of their presence at the NFL experience.

Some players actually latch on to the cards - Cam Newton often refers to himself as a 1 of 1.

Ponder probably doesnt care as much, but he does sign a ton through the mail, so I cant fault him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
It's actually pretty pathetic show prep by the Herd staff. Why ask an interviewee about something and have zero frame of reference for it?

"Hey, Cowherd, you were the one that asked the athlete about the cards. Were there not going to be any follow-up questions? Good interview skills, dummy."

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know if I'd blame Cowherd or the show at all.
Could they have done more homework? In this case it would seem so. But at the end of the day the job is mainly to give them that minute to plug whatever it is they are associated with and to act like he cares.

And while I would like to get on Ponder for not knowing what Panini is, since I'm sure he's signed a ton of the cards. As pointed out above, he may have no interest in cards. Probably signs a ton of stuff, and any checks from Panini may have been a minor blip on his radar.
That's why I'd have to put the fault on Panini........There was obviously some effort there to get that promotion. I don't know how you have that opportunity and not properly prep Ponder or at the very least give him some B.S. promo for him to directly read.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
I remember in '98 or '99, Peyton Manning was talking up Collectors Edge and Upper Deck and knew absolutely everything about them. he talked about the evolution or sports cards with autographs and pieces of embedded game worn jersey pieces making them more collectible and special etc.

Members online

Latest posts