Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help with 1990's Inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
I am working on completing my Ben McDonald collection. I am closing in on 400 different cards. There are a few from fairly well-known 1990's sets. I am looking for information on good places/people that may have a few of these.
1990 Donruss Aqueous Test - I know this is going to be very difficult. I was able to pick up the 1990 Donruss Previews earlier this week though.
1996 Pinnacle Afficionado Artist's Proofs
1996 Pinnacle Afficionado First Pitch Previews
1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
1997 EX-2000 Essential Credentials
1997 Pinnacle Press Plate Previews
1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion and Masterpieces

Also, does anyone know if Beckett player checklist include Kenner Starting Line-Up figurines? Beckett shows 5 SLU results for Ben(3 for 1990 and 2 for 1991). I have the 2 cards from 1990 and the figurine in package, and the same for 1991 but cannot locate the last 2 cards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
ThoseBackPages said:
ebay and F5 all day. Bring yer checkbook as some of those are hugely popular with set bulders.

excuse my ignorance, but what is f5?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
andrewnmisty said:
Also, does anyone know if Beckett player checklist include Kenner Starting Line-Up figurines? Beckett shows 5 SLU results for Ben(3 for 1990 and 2 for 1991). I have the 2 cards from 1990 and the figurine in package, and the same for 1991 but cannot locate the last 2 cards.

Andrew

I found these results, and honestly I believe you have them all.

1990 SLU Baseball Extended #54 Ben McDonald FP I think this is the complete figure and cards in the package
1990 SLU Baseball Open #54 Ben McDonald FP EXT This would be the figure out of the package
1990 Kenner Starting Lineup Extended Cards #6A Ben McDonald This is just card A out of package
1990 Kenner Starting Lineup Extended Cards #6B Ben McDonald RY and card B out of package

1991 they seem to have been entered in to Beckett's system differently, because why would they want consistency in their checklist? Their idiots
1991 Kenner Starting Lineup Cards #32 Ben McDonald This is the card
1991 SLU Baseball #39 Ben McDonald This is the figure

This is just an educated guess based on Beckett's history of ridiculousness but I'm pretty confident its correct and hope it makes sense

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
Brewer Andy said:
andrewnmisty said:

Andrew

I found these results, and honestly I believe you have them all.

1990 SLU Baseball Extended #54 Ben McDonald FP I think this is the complete figure and cards in the package
1990 SLU Baseball Open #54 Ben McDonald FP EXT This would be the figure out of the package
1990 Kenner Starting Lineup Extended Cards #6A Ben McDonald This is just card A out of package
1990 Kenner Starting Lineup Extended Cards #6B Ben McDonald RY and card B out of package

1991 they seem to have been entered in to Beckett's system differently, because why would they want consistency in their checklist? Their idiots
1991 Kenner Starting Lineup Cards #32 Ben McDonald This is the card
1991 SLU Baseball #39 Ben McDonald This is the figure

This is just an educated guess based on Beckett's history of ridiculousness but I'm pretty confident its correct and hope it makes sense

Thanks! I figured Beckett was including the figurine in the card list, but wanted to be sure!
2 more off the list!!!

Andrew

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks for the clarification Jeff! Wait......are you suggesting figure collectors as just as nuts as we are? Preposterous!

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
Rocketman12 said:
andrewnmisty said:

Burbank Sportscards has one of these listed in their Beckett storefront.

I saw that. Thought the price tag was way overboard, but looking at completed auctions of Mirror Golds it may not be too bad of a price. Appreciate the heads up!

Andrew

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
jeffv96masters said:
1990 SLU Baseball Extended #54 Ben McDonald FP unopened package
1990 SLU Baseball Open #54 Ben McDonald FP EXT figure out of the package

1990 Kenner Starting Lineup Extended Cards #6A Ben McDonald for 1990 this is the "rookie year" card in the package-- they are yellow and provide a detailed player history-- what Brewer Andy is calling "Card A"
1990 Kenner Starting Lineup Extended Cards #6B Ben McDonald RY the series card, one with statistics and intended to be that players SLU card for that year

ANDY-- I'll help calm you brain as to why your being driven nuts by the differentation in how its listed,,,,The FP in the phrase "1990 SLU Baseball Extended #54 Ben McDonald FP " stands for First Piece,,,,

Now why would Beckett list the item twice you ask?? I mean both are the same thing right-- one is the figurine in the box-- the other is loose,,,

Well-- to Kenner collectors-- its a HUGE difference,,, an First Piece item in its ORIGINAL packaging, untouched and unopened, is like a McFarlane figure, or any number of hobby related "figurines" -- the value is in its "unopened" or pristine state ,,,, once they pop it open it becomes just a common item,,,,

Hence-- "First Pieces(FP)" unopened are generally more highly valued to the Kenner collector,,, I've even known several who have hard acrylic cases around their First Piece pieces,,,,

So Beckett lists First Pieces (FP) in their complete state ( unopened) and in their opened state,,, McFarlane guys will understand it immediately as variations in their stuff carry immense valuation differences,,,,

Most other opened/unopened SLU items need no such differentation,,,,

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff, I will mark the two figurines off my list.

Andrew

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
andrewnmisty said:
Rocketman12 said:
andrewnmisty said:

Burbank Sportscards has one of these listed in their Beckett storefront.

I saw that. Thought the price tag was way overboard, but looking at completed auctions of Mirror Golds it may not be too bad of a price. Appreciate the heads up!

Andrew

giddy up on this one... its gonna cost you but they are legit 30 copies and the first really rare 90's insert.

Members online