Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So tired of ebay sellers and their counter offers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
So I see an item I wanted that was for sale for 149.99. Regular sell price was around 100-105, so I throw in an offer for 100. I get a response of 149.98. So tired of this stupid ****. I've had at LEAST 5 of these in the last 2 weeks and all of my offers were the going rate. Anyone else seeing this happen?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Re: So tired of ******** ebay sellers and their counter offers

I haven't had this happen lately, but that's so incredibly unprofessional that I would probably just move onto the next item.

It's one thing if the card is listed at $149.99 (sells for $100) and someone offers $15 and THEN the seller counter-offers with about $140. But when a reasonable offer is made and the counter offer is one cent lower than the BIN, I take that as a seller who is wasting my time, so I prefer to forget about them and move on.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010

TomMurry said:
So I see an item I wanted that was for sale for 149.99. Regular sell price was around 100-105, so I throw in an offer for 100. I get a response of 149.98. So tired of this stupid shat. I've had at LEAST 5 of these in the last 2 weeks and all of my offers were the going rate. Anyone else seeing this happen?

Its one thing to counter one penny under buy it now but if they countered at 120 thats their price and shouldnt be claimed about, nothing says they have to accept "going rate"

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA

ljw29 said:
TomMurry said:
So I see an item I wanted that was for sale for 149.99. Regular sell price was around 100-105, so I throw in an offer for 100. I get a response of 149.98. So tired of this stupid shat. I've had at LEAST 5 of these in the last 2 weeks and all of my offers were the going rate. Anyone else seeing this happen?

Its one thing to counter one penny under buy it now but if they countered at 120 thats their price and shouldnt be claimed about, nothing says they have to accept "going rate"

Thats fine. If they would have countered 110 Id have probably paid it, but to counter with a penny under is such a ********* move.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010

TomMurry said:
ljw29 said:
TomMurry said:

Thats fine. If they would have countered 110 Id have probably paid it, but to counter with a penny under is such a ********* move.

I agree.

I know when I counter, I will say why if it is higher than Ebay going rate.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009

Obviously the seller isn't interested in working out a sell. Don't dwell on it, life's too short.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010

The seller is under no obligation to sell it any cheaper than he wants to. The going rate is meaningless. Perhaps he bought it for $150 and now, for whatever reason, needs to sell it and doesn't want to take a loss.

Also, the "going rate" is meaningless because someone new to Ebay or unfamiliar with the search function could buy it for $150 on a whim on their initial search.

The bottom line is that the seller isn't doing anything wrong. He's not obligated to sell it to you for what you want to pay. He only needs to sell it for what he wants to sell it for.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010

I've had that happen a few times too lately, I just move on. The people of ebay never cease to amaze me anymore lol

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

brian26 said:
The seller is under no obligation to sell it any cheaper than he wants to. The going rate is meaningless. Perhaps he bought it for $150 and now, for whatever reason, needs to sell it and doesn't want to take a loss.

Also, the "going rate" is meaningless because someone new to Ebay or unfamiliar with the search function could buy it for $150 on a whim on their initial search.

The bottom line is that the seller isn't doing anything wrong. He's not obligated to sell it to you for what you want to pay. He only needs to sell it for what he wants to sell it for.

I agree with you completely that the seller can hold out for whatever amount he wants, but I think the idea is that if you're going to list something with a Best Offer option, it's pretty ******* to send a counter-offer 1 cent less than your BIN price. Why even have the Best Offer option if this is all the seller is going to do for counter-offers?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA

brian26 said:

Then please explain why he has a Best Offer option listed?

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles

Maybe the point was to get you to counter with something higher, not to insult you. Which, obviously, he did and now it's his loss.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008

This could all be solved with a blocked sellers list :p

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA

i bid 69.69 and he replied "LOL" and he blocked me.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles

TomMurry said:
i bid 69.69 and he replied "LOL" and he blocked me.

Then you run this risk. Sure, you could make a statement and vow to never bid on this seller's stuff or you could lose out on something you really want. It's all cardboard.

Bottom line, don't get so butthurt. The whole waggle your junk on the web thing needs to stop.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula

All The Hype said:
brian26 said:

I agree with you completely that the seller can hold out for whatever amount he wants, but I think the idea is that if you're going to list something with a Best Offer option, it's pretty ******* to send a counter-offer 1 cent less than your BIN price. Why even have the Best Offer option if this is all the seller is going to do for counter-offers?
+1

My other problem is the seller that just straight up declines a reasonable (i.e., market rate) offer without making a counter. I think nearly any potential buyer is of course looking to pay at most going rate, but is willing to haggle a bit in the neighborhood of current market pricing. To just flat out reject a reasonable offer without a counter pretty much turns me off to the seller. I seldom bid my max price on an item, but definitely don't underbid beyond reason, leaving room to negotiate.

autocut

brian26 said:

Yes, the "eBay going rate" is bogus. I never sell a card for eBay going rate. People can either accept my price or keep searching. the only problem I see with this is that if he wants $149.99, then he shouldn't have a best offer checked. If he wants to get close to it, going down $5 would have been OK and work from there.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010

I remember a few years back I was looking for some Rollerblades, I found some I liked, did some research and found the guy with the lowest priced ones on ebay. He had the best offer available so I sent him an offer that was just $10 below his asking price (and we are talking an item that is well over $100). He declined. Had he sent me a counter offer somewhere in the middle I would have accepted. In fact had he just had them listed with no best offer I would have paid his asking price. I ended up buying them from somebody else for around $10 more than his asking price just because I was irritated that he wasted my time. If you aren't willing to take at least 10% off the asking price then it would be a good idea to not select the best offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.