Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian Cardenas to the Cubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Theo just keeps on going. I like this idea.

Cubs Claim Adrian Cardenas
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 6, 2012 at 4:02pm CST]
The Cubs claimed Adrian Cardenas off of waivers from the Athletics, the A's announced. Oakland had designated the infielder for assignment on January 26th.

Cardenas, 24, spent the 2011 season with Oakland's Triple-A affiliate, where he posted a .314/.374/.418 line in 545 plate appearances and played left field, shortstop, second and third. In six minor league seasons, the 2006 draft pick has a .303/.368/.413 batting line.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Not only did he get designated but several teams passed on him for the cubs to get him. There has to be more to this story.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
A great low risk move by Theo. To make room for Cardenas they designated Blake Dewitt for assignment.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Do people realize that Theo isn't the Cubs GM? Every move they make (even completely inconsequential ones like Cardenas) involve people patting Theo on the back when it's pretty likely that Hoyer had as much, if not more to do with it.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
braden said:
Do people realize that Theo isn't the Cubs GM? Every move they make (even completely inconsequential ones like Cardenas) involve people patting Theo on the back when it's pretty likely that Hoyer had as much, if not more to do with it.

True, but I think they are likely working as a team. Theo isn't running the financial end of things for the Cubs (Crane Kenney does that) and obviously was hired to handle personnel matters, along with Hoyer who is a guy Theo respects and wants input from. I imagine they both have ideas that they run past each other and that Theo is going to give Hoyer some latitutde, but at the end of the day, if Theo wants something to happen, it's going to happen.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
James52411 said:
braden said:

True, but I think they are likely working as a team. Theo isn't running the financial end of things for the Cubs (Crane Kenney does that) and obviously was hired to handle personnel matters, along with Hoyer who is a guy Theo respects and wants input from. I imagine they both have ideas that the run past each other and that Theo is going to give Hoyer some latitutde, but at the end of the day, if Theo wants something to happen, it's going to happen.

Oh, definitely. It just seems as though Hoyer doesn't even exist there. When the Cubs traded for Rizzo, I read countless posts in many places about how Theo wanted to reacquire Rizzo and yet nobody seemed to mention that Hoyer was essentially doing the same thing.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
braden said:
James52411 said:
braden said:

True, but I think they are likely working as a team. Theo isn't running the financial end of things for the Cubs (Crane Kenney does that) and obviously was hired to handle personnel matters, along with Hoyer who is a guy Theo respects and wants input from. I imagine they both have ideas that the run past each other and that Theo is going to give Hoyer some latitutde, but at the end of the day, if Theo wants something to happen, it's going to happen.

Oh, definitely. It just seems as though Hoyer doesn't even exist there. When the Cubs traded for Rizzo, I read countless posts in many places about how Theo wanted to reacquire Rizzo and yet nobody seemed to mention that Hoyer was essentially doing the same thing.

That's a fair point and I would hope that Theo deferred to Jed on the Rizzo matter since Hoyer was the Padres GM. If Hoyer didn't think Rizzo is the real deal there is no way that trade happens.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Just me, but I think I'd rather have Blake DeWitt at this point than Cardenas.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Sean_C said:
Just me, but I think I'd rather have Blake DeWitt at this point than Cardenas.

Just you.

Just kidding. Yes, I'm extremely happy that Cardenas has landed and somewhere that his offense could play well. This was a massive sigh of relief to see him land somewhere and specifically not the Astros.