Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ouch Chances are this isn't real.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It's an extremely long-term project, not only because it takes forever to find many of the cards, but because it's going to cost thousands and you need to spread it out. I started my set 8 or 9 years ago and I'm slightly over halfway done now. I figure it'll be at least another 10 years until I finish (if I ever do). Of course it's not my main collecting pursuit or it'd be a lot closer to finished by now. Just something fun to work on on the side.

I started it because I began collecting in 1988 and looking at those old '88 Topps cards always brings back great memories of my youth, opening packs from the corner store hoping for Jose Canseco cards and chewing that awful gum. A complete set of '88 Topps is like $5, there's no collecting challenge there. So I had the idea of getting every card in the set signed. I started with a single Terry Steinbach in my collection that I had gotten signed through the mail back in 1989, and am now up over 400. I'd like to think the 9-year-old me would faint if he was told he'd eventually have 400 autographed cards from that set, including guys like McGwire, Schmidt, Yount, Molitor, Gwynn, Dawson, and Mattingly.

That's pretty neat for sure. I really enjoy getting base cards signed any chance I can. For the astros, I used to check out Therion's collection and I noticed how hard it was for him to obtain some of the autos he was after. He even had a few blurbs about some of the really hard to get players. And that kind of gave me the idea that if you have the chance, and the guy is already signing, and you have nothing else for him to sign, you might as well get base cards signed. I take guys like Jose Cruz Sr., Jim Deshaies, Larry Dierker, and a few others who are always at every signing it seems, and took everything I had and got it signed. So pretty much, except Deshies, I have every card I own signed by some of these folks. I'm also fond of getting autos of lesser known players. I've gotten some flak for it but if I do get their auto, I might be one of the only people to end up getting it. To me, there is value in something like that.

If I could do one signed set, it would be 1991 topps. But guys like Mac, Thomas, etc. make me see it as nothing but a money hole.

twinnssy

Jan 28, 2013
Ricky Wright 1987 Topps auto

I am trying to complete an autographed set of 1987 Topps cards and I bid on the card, of course, I wasn't close to winning. The Wright and Howser cards are the Holy Grail's of this set. The seller told me he bought the card for $100 and was hoping to get $200. Nice ROI!! Can't believe I lost to a blowhard like Olbermann?? :-o:-o

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am trying to complete an autographed set of 1987 Topps cards and I bid on the card, of course, I wasn't close to winning. The Wright and Howser cards are the Holy Grail's of this set. The seller told me he bought the card for $100 and was hoping to get $200. Nice ROI!! Can't believe I lost to a blowhard like Olbermann?? :-o:-o

For my education, why are those two guys the holy grails?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Dick Howswer RIP 6/17/1987
Ricky Wright is covered on page 1. Apparently never signs and then only Fleer.

Very interesting. I never knew this was a set people were trying to collect with IP autos on each card... assuming that's the idea. What ever started this trend or why so many people doing this on the same set?

As for Dick passing away... I'm assuming that's right after the set was released, so has to be limited number of his cards IP autoed... wonder how many fakes are out there.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Send that auction link to Wright and I think he would start signing some himself and sell them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
I am a signed IP/TTM set collecter and just paid $75 for a Khalil Greene autograph to finish off my 2008 Allen & Ginter set. Since leaving baseball Khalil has pretty much vanished and I have only ever seen 3 other copies of this card.

Set collectors are highly compulsive when it comes to finishing a set which could result in the closing price of this card. There are quite a few sets out there where players will not sign a card. Archie Bradley in 2012 Topps Heritage comes to mind since the player pictured is not him (it's J.R. Bradley and he won't sign it either). The same situation happened with my Ginter set, Orlando Hudson wouldn't sign the card that had his name and Alberto Collaspo's picture. I was able to get Collaspo to sign it however.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
There are also some players who don't sign certain cards so that when they pass they can give a stash of them to their family members. I believe Jay Buhner does this.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I honestly do NOT think this wright card is good.. Olberman better send to PSA ASAP

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I honestly do NOT think this wright card is good.. Olberman better send to PSA ASAP

I had the same feeling when I saw it and started hearing about how rare the card is, how he doesn't sign, how you can't find them, etc. Just seems too good to be true... plus how many people would even know what they had if they had this card in a shoe box somewhere? Honestly, if I were to see that card at a flee market for a quarter, I'd pass it up thinking it was complete junk... just seems too good to be true.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Never underestimate the ocd of signed set collectors. I've heard stories of guys driving a couple hours to go drive to some phone book listing of ex-player in hopes of getting a tough signer to sign a card they need for their set.

With that said, the general consensus from the 87 collectors I know is that the Wright is legit. There are a lot of players who won't sign certain cards, but more often than not at least a few legit copies make it into the market. Whether it's a player signing quickly while not paying attention, not realizing they aren't pictured on a card the when it first comes out, etc, unless a player is completely m.i.a. or before/shortly after a set comes out, there are likely copies set collectors are willing to pay crazy money for.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Archie Bradley in 2012 Topps Heritage comes to mind since the player pictured is not him (it's J.R. Bradley and he won't sign it either).
Not sure how you could convince them, but maybe write each of them and ask them to both sign it? Or would that be against your principles on the set, no snarky-ness intended?

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
Not sure how you could convince them, but maybe write each of them and ask them to both sign it? Or would that be against your principles on the set, no snarky-ness intended?

Archie Bradley who participated in a private signing was offered $100 to sign the cards and he turned it down. He is pretty mad at Topps considering they did this with Sterling too and he was promised it wouldn't happen again.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
There are also some players who don't sign certain cards so that when they pass they can give a stash of them to their family members. I believe Jay Buhner does this.

I know he won't sign anything that is Calgary Cannons related, he hated his time there and he hated Lefebvre, the feeling was mutual because Jay should have been on the club but Lefebvre had him sent down.

Do you know what specific card(s)?

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
I know he won't sign anything that is Calgary Cannons related, he hated his time there and he hated Lefebvre, the feeling was mutual because Jay should have been on the club but Lefebvre had him sent down.

Do you know what specific card(s)?

94 SP he will not sign for sure

Members online

Latest posts