Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game Used is such a subjective term - National Treasures related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
First off id like to say i love the product but i came across this button today of Yogi Berra and quickly noticed that there is no way that was game used as its to new. I know this has been discussed before but i guess for whatever reason it irked me more than usual when i saw this card.

Then i thought for a second and realized its most likely from an old timers game or something like that. I personally dont think its right of companys calling something game used if it wasn't from an actual MLB game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yogi-Berra-...0871775579?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item460d5af55b

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
$T2eC16FHJGwE9n%29ySc9ZBRM6oBgjo%21%7E%7E60_1.JPG

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Could be when he was a coach or manager of the Yankees. The uniform style and button appear to match. The expectation would be if pictured as a player it was used as a player but it would still qualify.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, they've been lose about these definitions for a long time now, if you can pin them down at all. 2001 Sweet Spot had Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle jerseys that were polyester, prompting a lot of questions, and the answer was that they consider pretty much any MLB team function to be "official" so Old Timer's Day, coaching, spring training, team photo day, etc., are all included as "official MLB games." I'm sure the other card companies go along with that. It pretty much sucks, but what can you do, other than not buy it.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Spring training.

First off id like to say i love the product but i came across this button today of Yogi Berra and quickly noticed that there is no way that was game used as its to new. I know this has been discussed before but i guess for whatever reason it irked me more than usual when i saw this card.

Then i thought for a second and realized its most likely from an old timers game or something like that. I personally dont think its right of companys calling something game used if it wasn't from an actual MLB game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yogi-Berra-2012-National-Treasures-Greatness-Button-Pinstripe-Jersey-D-4-4-/300871775579?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item460d5af55b

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
In all seriousness, how do we even know that Berra ever touched it? Maybe it's "game used", but it doesn't specify a player or anything.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

Yogi Berra 2012 National Treasures Greatness Button Pinstripe Jersey D 4 4 | eBay
I agree that they should be more word specific when it come to Game -used, event-used, ect ect. Its obvious that they used the same jersey from 2005 absolute Jumbos or similar. The weird thing is on one of the sell sheet they had Berra buttons With wool style jerseys backing it and I know absolute also have a couple of Button cards made with Wool style Jersey and some with the "Coaches or old-times game" Jersey. If they just worded it correctly it would clear up a lot of confusion.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
In all seriousness, how do we even know that Berra ever touched it? Maybe it's "game used", but it doesn't specify a player or anything.

I'll tell you what, you've got a hell of a point and it's one I've never thought of before. But...if something like this ever gets out, it'll ruin the hobby for anything past 2005 and maybe even before that. Topps, panini, and UD in their limited capacity, will be royally screwed.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
its all such BS, the trust we put in these companies and what we are getting from their products is not what it should be. They need to stop being so general about the products. It cant be that hard.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Why doesn't MLB get involved here? Honestly... baseball cards are a HUGE part of their history and marketing efforts... clearly they would want to make sure this all checks out

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I agree that they should be more word specific when it come to Game -used, event-used, ect ect. Its obvious that they used the same jersey from 2005 absolute Jumbos or similar. The weird thing is on one of the sell sheet they had Berra buttons Will wool style jerseys backing it and I know absolute also have a couple of Button cards made with Wool style Jersey and some with the "Coaches or old-times game" Jersey. If they just worded it correctly it would clear up a lot of confusion.

Here is a picture from the actually made cards. I wonder if the "real" game used ones have a shorter print run or even 1/1:

Hot-Button Topic: Panini America Prepares 2012 National Treasures Baseball (Gallery) | The Official Panini America Blog
panini-america-2012-national-treasures-baseball-buttons-12.jpg

Members online

Latest posts