Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does your gf, wife or significant other think of the hobby or your PC? Do they know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
From my wife: first she looked at me and said "honestly?" And then giggled. Then, "if you like it and enjoy it, good for you. But it doesn't excite me the way it excites you, so I don't care what you get in the mail everyday. I'm glad you found a hobby you like."

Basically, she knows all about it, she doesn't care if I buy stuff, but she doesn't want any part of it. Even though she will look sometimes when I get excited and shove a card in her face and tell her to look. Haha

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I got an epic ebay message the other day. Something to the effect of:

"PLEASE DON'T INCLUDE AN INVOICE IN THE PACKAGE. I DON'T WANT MY WIFE TO KNOW HOW MUCH I SPEND ON BASEBALL CARDS."

Easily one of my all time favorite ebay messages.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
My wife is not a fan of my collecting at all. She tolerates it and pretends to be interested when I show her a new PC item that arrived in the mail. I got the eye roll today as she watched me talking to my five and two year old boys about collecting. I think she is worried they will get addicted like dad way too early in life!

Most of the money I spend on the hobby comes from profits made prospecting or breaking up lots. I avoid dipping into the bank account as much as possible to keep her off my back.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
My gf doesn't really care about it, except when I'm on eBay a lot. That's pisses her off when we are doing things together and I'm on my phone bidding and looking for cards..

Otherwise, she doesn't complain about how much I spend on them, she's makes more money than I do and pisses away a healthy portion of her income on clothes and shoes....which she leaves lying around the apartment all the time just like how I leave cards lying around.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
My wife secretly likes that I have an innocent, yet expensive hobby... I think.

But she does seem to frequently tell me how it's stupid and XXXXty and a waste of money and always seems to have a list of better stuff I can do with money... Sometimes yelling haha buttttt when it's all said and done usually there's an apology followed by giving me time to "work" on my collection and tells me I can get a lil more as an apology, stressful, but works for me in the long run. The time allowance speaks for itself since we have a 10 month baby boy.

Matter of fact I got read the riot act today when I came home with a 3200 count box full of stars and a 1200 or 1500 count box of randoms from the LCS... But after all that she told me ok ok, go get some more plastics so you can put more sets in binders.

You got it honey. ;)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I got an epic ebay message the other day. Something to the effect of:

"PLEASE DON'T INCLUDE AN INVOICE IN THE PACKAGE. I DON'T WANT MY WIFE TO KNOW HOW MUCH I SPEND ON BASEBALL CARDS."

Easily one of my all time favorite ebay messages.

Haha! Nice!!

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My wife would love to see everything disappear and not replaced by anything else. She frequently complains about limited storage space in the house/garage, which I consume a fair amount with cards. She would like to see me spent less time online and sorting/organizing, even if she is on the tablet the whole time I am occupied elsewhere. However, she knew going in what I did and what she was getting with me. She has no excuses, but it is definitely not something she has any interest in and most likely despises (secretly and outwardly at times) the time and money that I invest into it. Other than that, it is a relationship of tolerance and I have gotten packs at christmas, but not regularly. She (and the boys) have also stood in free autograph lines with me more than once, which is awesome!

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
My parents don't like when l "continually" come home with packs, they say l should save it all.

My mom especially doesn't like it, she tolerates it but would never ever dream of encourageing it.

My dad collected when he was a kid, but when his entire collection got stolen it was as if his collecting spirit got stolen as well. He says l should save up since l won't be able to find a decent job when I'm older.

It would be nice to have parents that encouraged it but, at least l get some cards for my BDay and Christmas!

CARDMAN

May 20, 2011
Lufkin , Texas
My wife knows and now has 2 cards in her collection an autographed Sal Bando and a Autographed Aaron Hill . She is also a member of a small forum that I help Moderate.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
My wife has been more understanding than I deserved.

Buying singles and wax became a daily addiction and nearly cost me everything that is important to me.

I sold off the majority of my collection last year for income and to help pay bills.

I stopped using my current work income and only buy from selling remaining parts of my collection. I still window shop eBay but haven't made a purchase in a month or 2. My purchases are now made as investments to turn a profit not to permanently keep.

I still enjoy the hobby without having the urge to spend every dime I have.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Some really good stuff here!

In other news, looks like another member has bumped the old thread, so if a mod wants to do something about that, I guess I can't complain...

---

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
My wife knows from the get go. At first she complained but has since mellowed out. Once in while she'll pretend to enjoy it by sitting next to me and look at some cards.

This is where it gets me. If I was looking at my PC, I tell her to stop a minute and I put everything in the box and tell her "Not these, let me get the good ones". NOBODY touches my (first set) PC I get my "second set" and we'll play with that. After about 30 - 45 minutes, the real reason why she wanted "look at my cards" comes up. "Go take a shower so YOU CAN take me out to dinner, Honey". YUP! She'll leave me alone about my cards for a couple of days, then the process begins and end the same way again. For the most part, this works for us. One thing is for sure, she have no clue how much I spend on Cal Ripken....

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I hit the lottery when it comes to this. My wife not only tolerates my hobby, she has become an active participant. We now schedule our vacations around going to cities with ballparks we haven't been to yet. This will be year number 5. And to think it all started with a trip to Cooperstown. She loved it.

This year we are going to the National together in Cleveland!! I will probably have her standing in the autograph lines while I search for cards. It was actually her idea. I am really excited. We are going to games in Cincy, and St. Louis on the trip too.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Wife doesn't mind the hobby part at all. Her only complaint is when I spend to much time on it. But, right now, while I am dealing with a health issue, I have a hall pass. She knows it helps me relax and keep my mind on good things. She grew up with just her mom , her dad died when she was 3, so she was never around sports. It took some time, but she now likes sports and will go to any game with me( mlb, nfl, nba, nhl). On Sunday, my daughter asked a question about the niner game and my wife answered and said " you should watch it, football is actually pretty fun to watch." Made me smile.

I have started my son(7) off with a small collection(nothing about $$$, just the cards and talking about the players). He likes them and my wife is all for it.

I think it helps, that I am extremely good looking, surfer boy though.

Well, ok, the surfer boy part is true.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I avoid dipping into the bank account as much as possible to keep her off my back.

Ditto! I collected before I met her, and long after we got married. Shes used to my collection, and is probably glad that its small and contained. Sometimes she shows interest, but i think its just to amuse me.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I hit the lottery when it comes to this. My wife not only tolerates my hobby, she has become an active participant. We now schedule our vacations around going to cities with ballparks we haven't been to yet. This will be year number 5. And to think it all started with a trip to Cooperstown. She loved it.

This year we are going to the National together in Cleveland!! I will probably have her standing in the autograph lines while I search for cards. It was actually her idea. I am really excited. We are going to games in Cincy, and St. Louis on the trip too.

That's awesome dude!

---

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Hopefully I'll get my wife on board someday.. Doesn't even hafta be baseball cards, any type would be cool. Just don't see it happening though.. Can't see her having a legit interest in actually collecting.

Unless maybe if they made makeup or fashion cards haha even kardashian cards would work, don't really see anything else doin it tho

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
My gf doesn't mind at all. Sometimes, 50-60% of the time, I'll ask her opinion on a card. If she doesn't care for it there's usually a good reason. She keeps me focused on my various auto collection in terms of
1) auto boldness and clarity
2) if it's a cut has to be a full cut in the window, no small scraps
And general appearance or appeal of the card.
I currently have stacks sorted and more laying around the house we just moved into and not a word is said. She knows I enjoy it and doesn't mind me constantly here and eBay

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
My gf doesn't mind that much. She mostly jokes about using them as firewood or finding room in the basement for them.
This Christmas she bought me a box of 1998 Finest Jumbos.
Then she proceeded to hide them in my apartment.
The last pack was in her, ahem, feminine hygiene product box.
She got a big kick out of that. And yes I needed a big hint to find that one.

Members online

Latest posts