Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Well I just bought a Derek Jeter 1998 Topps Tek 14 Pattern 5 for $7.27 shipped off of ebay.Takes me down to 26 left. I pretty much offer $8.00 each if any of you have any please let me know. I need Patterns 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 13, 17, 23, 29, 31, 32, 37, 39, 40, 50, 51, 54, 64, 72, 75, 78, 82, 83, 85, 86

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Well I just bought a Derek Jeter 1998 Topps Tek 14 Pattern 5 for $7.27 shipped off of ebay.Takes me down to 26 left. I pretty much offer $8.00 each if any of you have any please let me know. I need Patterns 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 13, 17, 23, 29, 31, 32, 37, 39, 40, 50, 51, 54, 64, 72, 75, 78, 82, 83, 85, 86

Ive got an extra Jeter pattern #4 available for $ 10 delivered ($8.00 plus cost of bubble mailer and postage)
Email me at [email protected]

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Ive got an extra Jeter pattern #4 available for $ 10 delivered ($8.00 plus cost of bubble mailer and postage)
Email me at [email protected]

Sorry I have been grabbing them for $8.00 shipped each. I just bought pattern 5 off ebay for under $8.00 and there fees that persons paying. I will get singles slowly I am not in a rush and have plenty of cards I need to get and Topps Tek base are cheap and not my priority if I can grab one for $8.00 and below I will other than that I will wait.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sorry I have been grabbing them for $8.00 shipped each. I just bought pattern 5 off ebay for under $8.00 and there fees that persons paying. I will get singles slowly I am not in a rush and have plenty of cards I need to get and Topps Tek base are cheap and not my priority if I can grab one for $8.00 and below I will other than that I will wait.
Good for you for having patience... you're a better collector than me... especially when it comes to ~$2 +/- on a deal.

I saw a ~50 card Albert Belle lot on eBay and was able to pick out in the lot a Tek card... seller messaged me the pattern and I needed it... seller wasn't willing to sell it separately and the lot was a minimum bid of $7 with $3 s/h... yes, I bit the bullet and bought the lot with the only bid. It has been a year since I saw a pattern I needed (or longer) and it was worth it to me.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
This picture is appropriate for collecting 98 Tek...

Slow-and-Steady.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.

Congrats on getting the Jeter pattern #5 . Good luck on getting the last 26 cards. If you happen to have any Thome Teks let me know. Thanks.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
If the Topps Tek cards were the only cards I needed it would be a different story. I tend to go by year more and with 1997 being close I am working on that more than 1998 and 1999 and most of those cards carry a price tag with them so I have to save and why I stick with set prices on base cards. I am sure I can pick up a lot of these cards from some of the Jeter super collectors I know. Beckett has some I have seen but there prices are crazy. My price might change later down the road but for now $8.00 is what I am willing to pay. I have gotten 3 Topps Tek Jeter off my list in the past month and I might not get another for a while I just need to wait and see if any pop up. You figure out of the 520 cards I need of Jeter 148 are the Diffractors and Gold. I don't ever expect to get them all any of the 1 of 1's I will probably never see even though I know where a few are so it cut's my needs list down a lot. So honestly I might have a chance to get 350 of the 520 I need and that's a stretch.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
350 out of 520 isn't bad. I know what you mean. I don't expect to get all of Thome's Tek diffractors and Tek golds. Jeter must have a ton of cards like Thome (9300) or more. I would be happy just getting 6,000 or 7,000 of them. Gotta be 3,000 or so that are too pricey or hard to get. I looked but only have Jeter pattern #59 . But the chase is really fun. Good luck.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Happy to report my 83rd different Robin Ventura pattern arrived today. Down to needing seven now. This was probably the toughest card I've obtained so far, and the story behind it is pretty cool. I happened to find a picture of the card posted on an obscure baseball card database site. I wasn't sure how long ago the card had been posted (the site looks like it was created in Lycos in 1995). I signed up just to send the member a message, and then I waited weeks for a reply. We finally exchanged messages over the course of several weeks and then agreed to a trade. Glad to have finally snagged this one.

I've been creative in my hunt over the past couple of months, and it has paid dividends, as I've knocked off about eight or nine cards on my list.

Good luck to everyone else. Mansgame - hope you narrow your list down to two! If anyone has Ventura, Belle, Frank Thomas or Konerko '98 TEK they would like to trade/sell, let me know.

Enjoy the hunt.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I'm curious to know some of the creative methods you have used. I am kind of stuck right now and could use some other avenues to venture.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Did that have the Sheffield P-23 in it. I need it for my set of 8100.

Hey there Don...Carl T in Houston here (togaman) here. We made several trades quite some time ago long time ago. I finished the 8100 back in 2004. Email me your want list to [email protected] and I will see if I have any new ones on your list and try to help you out. Your Want List dated 12/16/12 I have here from that I keep in a TEK Want List folder shows that you had 247 to go at that time.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Someone on this board (not me) must be listing that card as a late April Fools day joke. Its one of those graded cards claiming its a diffractor which it is not.
What surprises me most is that this seller has 100% positive feedback.
Jeff is a good, prompt, and safe seller.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Jeff is a good, prompt, and safe seller.

Dont know who that ebay seller is but him in several emails Ive sent to him informing him the card is not a 1998 TEK diffractor and just because he bought a graded card from someone else with a BGS rating on it that says it is a Diffractor does not make it so as we can all see it is not he has been rather testy and essentially telling me to mind my own business and go back to the FCB Hack Site as he referred to it. Good? Prompt? Safe?...... Good ??? Prompt?(Id be prompt too if someone paid me a $180+ for a $ 5 card) Safe?? (Does that mean the card is what he says it is?)

I'd more more interested in whether the cards someone lists/sells on ebay are what they say they are so I dont put much weight in that endorsement George.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Dont know who that ebay seller is but him in several emails Ive sent to him informing him the card is not a 1998 TEK diffractor and just because he bought a graded card from someone else with a BGS rating on it that says it is a Diffractor does not make it so as we can all see it is not he has been rather testy and essentially telling me to mind my own business and go back to the FCB Hack Site as he referred to it. Good? Prompt? Safe?...... Good ??? Prompt?(Id be prompt too if someone paid me a $180+ for a $ 5 card) Safe?? (Does that mean the card is what he says it is?)

I'd more more interested in whether the cards someone lists/sells on ebay are what they say they are so I dont put much weight in that endorsement George.

Safe meaning that his items are well packaged. You might not like his prices but you don't have to buy from this eBay/FCB member.

Oh and you calling him testy.......that rich.

And for for the record I like and support Burbank as well.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Safe meaning that his items are well packaged. You might not like his prices but you don't have to buy from this eBay/FCB member.

Oh and you calling him testy.......that rich.

And for for the record I like and support Burbank as well.

I don't think calling an obvious regular 1998 TEK card a rare BGS graded DIFFRACTOR and then putting a "BUY IT SUCKER" price of $180+ is honest. Maybe thats just me..
I buy from Burbank all the time when Im getting close to finishing sets. While their prices tend to be a bit high on many items IMO at least I have found them to be honest without
purposely misrepresenting the cards they are selling on ebay like that person you endorsed who had disparaging things to say about the FCB site in a message he sent back to me after I told him the card pictured was not a Diffractor. Burbank is prompt and safe... Good is a subjective term. Maybe even testy too.

Any seller can sell his cards at whatever price he thinks he can find a willing buyer for. But knowing the card is not what he claims it is even after he is informed he is misrepresenting the card on ebay is just being dishonest IMO..

Last edited:

Members online