Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I believe UD put out another fake autograph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
About a year ago, I acquired an autograph book. From the contents, I assume it belonged to a nurse at a Military hospital. Also inside was the clipping in the first image. I examined it with a loop, and it has slight indentions, but no bleed through. I kept it, still not sure if it was genuine. Neat auto, not really rare though. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I come across a listing on eBay. Second image. Besides the little tail on the 's', it is an EXACT match. Now I guess there is the possibility of an autopen, but I have no experience or in depth knowledge of them. Maybe someone else can give their opinion. I'm guessing both are stamped, unless Mrs. Roosevelt was a robot. So now what? Should UD be contacted? Should the Seller be contacted, even though it isn't his fault? Should I contact UD to try to sell them my cut? Mine doesn't even have the 'circulated widely' statement at the bottom (which in of itself raises questions as to the authenticity of the auto.)

Attachments

• eleanor1.jpeg
    eleanor1.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 66
  • eleanor2.jpeg
    eleanor2.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 66

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Bout as an exact of the same as you could get. The only thing I do agree with is the S extends further in one vs the other. Not sure if it's a machine or what, but it's pretty amazing they are as close as they are.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I looked at both side by side on a larger scale and I'd guess it was some sort of autopen signature. They are nearly identical to every detail.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
These signatures are in no way exact. The trail on the t is quite alarming but there is a spacing difference on the first e in the last name.
I bet if someone superimposes the two signatures it will be a 99% identical match, with miniscule variations on the tips of letters because of ink amounts used in the autopen/stamp/printing of the signature. They're the same.

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
These signatures are in no way exact. The trail on the t is quite alarming but there is a spacing difference on the first e in the last name.

It also has no hallmarks of an auto pen such as pooling.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Trust me, besides the extra line on the 's', they are exact matches. From character spacing, line thickening, the little dot at the end of Eleanor, to the missing ink dot on the 't'.

And thinking about the auto pen more, wouldn't all of the items/letters being signed most likely have been the same? My scrap should also have the 'may be circulated widely' line.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Besides a list of other similarities , that T with the "dot" / missing ink is about as clear as it gets.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nobody's signature is that close between different signings. it may not be an autopen, but it is a preprint or something automated, not signed by hand.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
eroos.jpg
Here's the overlay.

She was notorious for using a stamp.

You can also tell with the consistency of the ink flow.

Members online