Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leake, Zimmermann and Ross opt out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Mike Leake, Ryan Zimmermann and Joe Ross have all opted out of playing this year due to Covid concerns. The twins have also shuffled their coaching staff as to not expose a couple higher risk coaches.

Mike Leake Opts Out Of 2020 Season https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/dbacks-mike-leake-opt-out-2020-coronavirus-covid-19.html

Ryan Zimmerman, Joe Ross Opt Out Of 2020 Season https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/nationals-joe-ross-opt-out-2020-coronavirus-covid-19.html

Twins Alter Coaching Staff Due To COVID-19 Concerns https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/twins-coaches-sit-out-coronavirus.html

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I miss baseball dearly but at this point I think both sides would be better off calling the season off and trying to improve labor relations and hammer out a long term agreement

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I miss baseball dearly but at this point I think both sides would be better off calling the season off and trying to improve labor relations and hammer out a long term agreement

They are bleeding money. Losing the TV money for the 60 games is a loss for everyone.

It’s no different than other businesses. Baseball is a mess now and I expect more than one team to sell or declare bankruptcy in the next 6-12 months, but they will to open if they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
Totally understand them opting out but hate to see it to. Dont want them to cancel it as I am craving some baseball, and of course basketball. Just get them going already as I'm bored. 😁

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've been thinking they should just call it off, too. I don't see how realistic it can be to have teams, staff, families, etc., living in a "bubble" and expect to be unscathed. The way college football teams have been shaping up with multiple reports of 5, 10, 20 positive cases on a team, I'd be amazed if basketball and baseball get through whatever their summers consist of without waking up to news that half a team tested positive. I just started reading about how the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic was handled, considering they did not interrupt the season. There were fatalities among baseball, of course. I think only 1 major leaguer along with several minor leaguers died. But it was apparently an umpire who was the biggest casualty.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Believe me I understand the owners "need" to have a season for tv, sponsorship, advertising etc... I'm just saying that the divide this widened between the owners and PA could prove incredibly detrimental to the labor negotiation. I'd rather have a pandemic scrapped season rather that a lockout or strike. No season for a pandemic is forgivable lockout/strike is much harder to comeback from.
Unless they just stop steroid testing for a few years...chicks dig the longball.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Salvy Perez, Brad Keller, and Ryan O'Hearn tested + for coronavirus. 1B coach Rusty Kuntz also opting out to keep distance from the team. May see a lot of older coaches and managers opt out as the season gets closer.

Members online

Latest posts