Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Don’t start Some ebay Drama?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
This is what I said:
Please make sure that this is a Tiffany traded set. If it’s not or you aren’t sure, then just refund my money now and there will be no problems. If you send me a regular traded set, then I will file against you for not correctly describing the item. You will then have to pay return shipping and I will leave you negative feedback. Sorry if this comes off rude, but I have been burned many times in the past on false Tiffany cards. Thanks.

This is what I should have said:
Can you please confirm that this is a Tiffany traded set?

I’m learning from my mistake and hope others will too. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I see both sides. I'd have to see the actual action to feel better about taking a side. If there was any question as to whether or not this was a Tiffany set, that is really a question to ask BEFORE you bid.

I do feel as though you did come across too strong initially. No need to mention feedback at that point, like he pointed out. In fact, I know from experience that just mentioning a negative feedback before a transaction is over can put you in a bad spot. I can't remember what it was called, but something to the effect of extortion.

The sellers' initial reply could have taken the high road, but he chose to be defensive and rude. Nothing good was going to come from continuing the discussion beyond the initial exchange for either party.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
Yes, I admit I was wrong with how I communicated my expectations and wish I had done it more politely. I will make sure that my future communications are more positive. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
had you stopped after your second sentence , i dare say things would have worked out just fine...mistakes do happen and not ewveryone is either a) out to rip you off intentionally or b) totally clueless as to what they have...i for one use my own templates when listing items and lately i tend to create listings and save them as drafts which i then copy and edit for specific items...every once in a while one will slip through with one or two words or item details i neglected to modify ...it happens...

but as mrmopar said...the instant you threatened to post negative feedback , you 100% lost any case you would have otherwise had with ebay...

oh - and edit to add ....despite your denying it in the last message exchange , you CLEARLY threatened him with negative feedback before he even had a chance to respond AND you threatened to post PM's on public forms - bad idea....he could have used less ptofanity , but frankly i almost dont blame him...

Last edited:

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
At the time I thought that I was going to be able to prevent any problems bc I didn’t want to leave negative feedback. I know realize that I took the wrong approach and there was no reason for me to even mention feedback. I appreciate your feedback and will communicate better and more positively in the future with sellers.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Not to say that there is not shady people out there , sometimes it's best to just walk away

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Sorry man but your first message to him was way out of line.
You should have simply asked him if this was a Tiffany set or not and then proceeded from there if he'd made a mistake. No one would have appreciated the way you phrased that entire message. Honestly I don't even understand how or why you would phrase the message that way at all. YOU play a certain role in the participation of a transaction prior to the purchase.

I mean honestly, why in the world would you buy something that you weren't sure about and then threaten the seller with negative feedback if you received something you weren't even sure you were supposed to getting??
That doesn't even make sense!

Therefore all of the other messages are totally irrelevant from that point on other than the fact that you were both trying to outpoint each other on the drama scale.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This was an eBay interaction I had yesterday with a seller I was iffy about.

He had zero feedback, and I wanted to feel him out.

There was a Funko Pop I wanted that this seller had listed for like $20 cheaper than anyone else on eBay or Mercari, but since they had zero feedback I wasn’t comfortable just placing the order without messaging first. I ended up placing the order and taking the chance on him.

After these messages I messaged him back and told him I just placed my order, he replied thanking me and saying it would be in the mail on Monday.

We’ll see how it goes, but neither one of us were rude to each other, and it was handled properly.

IMG_4681.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I mean honestly, why in the world would you buy something that you weren't sure about and then threaten the seller with negative feedback if you received something you weren't even sure you were supposed to getting??
That doesn't even make sense!

The OP’s attitude all along seems to be that he hoped to take advantage of another person’s mistake. At any time prior to the purchase, he could have gotten clarification, but that might have cost him the chance to profit off of another’s misfortune. He could have conducted himself civilly after, but he chose not to. I’m actually not sure what he expected to happen when he posted this here.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
The OP’s attitude all along seems to be that he hoped to take advantage of another person’s mistake. At any time prior to the purchase, he could have gotten clarification, but that might have cost him the chance to profit off of another’s misfortune. He could have conducted himself civilly after, but he chose not to. I’m actually not sure what he expected to happen when he posted this here.

I wasn’t looking to take advantage of him, but I did want to take advantage of the price he offered. Therefore, I jumped the gun with buy it now. With BIN, it use to let you type in comments but not anymore. All I could do is slide the bar over to buy it. So I quickly type a poorly written message to get him to check the item before he shipped it out. If a mistake was made, then no problem just cancel the order. Otherwise, if the seller makes a mistake and ships out the item that was not correct, then it just creates more problems for both of us. I didn’t want him to waste his money on shipping it to me and then have to pay return shipping back bc item was wrong. Again, my message missed the point of what I was trying to communicate, but it did save the seller $25 and I learned a valuable lesson.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Everyone has, or will learn from their mistakes it's a part of life
And admitting that, I'd say you have learned Grasshopper

Last edited:

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I wasn’t looking to take advantage of him, but I did want to take advantage of the price he offered. Therefore, I jumped the gun with buy it now. With BIN, it use to let you type in comments but not anymore. All I could do is slide the bar over to buy it. So I quickly type a poorly written message to get him to check the item before he shipped it out. If a mistake was made, then no problem just cancel the order. Otherwise, if the seller makes a mistake and ships out the item that was not correct, then it just creates more problems for both of us. I didn’t want him to waste his money on shipping it to me and then have to pay return shipping back bc item was wrong. Again, my message missed the point of what I was trying to communicate, but it did save the seller $25 and I learned a valuable lesson.

You were hoping that someone had mistakenly listed a set for well, well under it’s true value. That is absolutely wanting to take advantage of someone else’s mistake.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
You were hoping that someone had mistakenly listed a set for well, well under it’s true value. That is absolutely wanting to take advantage of someone else’s mistake.

If the item gets sold and the seller made a mistake, then they can cancel the sale and refund the money. It happens.

Who is responsible for determining true value? True value in baseball cards is subjective. Otherwise, we should all just buy and sell according to Beckett.

If someone wants to sell something for a lot less than I value it, then should I contact them and tell them or buy the item?

What about all these 2020 Topps Project cards selling and preselling for hundreds, even thousands more than the $20 buy from Topps price? Are these sellers taking advantage of people? Should they contact them and give them a refund?

Members online

Latest posts