Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
A new year is just around the corner, hopefully bringing better days with it. So, optimistically speaking, what are you hoping to accomplish over the next year in your collections? Here's my list.

For my Alomar PC:

1) Reduce new card purchases even further. At current count there are 537 unique issues from 2020, which as I've said before is just asinine. I've only bought 55 of them, but that still adds up to several hundred dollars that I shoulda coulda used to buy higher priced stuff from his playing career.

2) Land another 90's white whale. There's roughly 10 or so I'm missing, so one of them has to pop up this year, right? One that's not in the hands of our favorite hostage holders, that is.

3) Find other collectors to trade with. This is a lot harder than it sounds. Maybe once I finish scanning my collection, and get a website up, that will help.
3a) Finish scanning my collection :)

Other goal:

4) Continue to add to my "Denver sports heroes" auto card collection. I started this little collection this year, and it features guys like Fat Lever, Steve Watson, Alex English, Dante Bichette. Guys I really enjoyed watching over the past few decades.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This is it, the year I go completely nuts collecting Heritage. I've been waiting for this year since 2002 when Heritage became an evergreen product. I preordered 2 cases, which is probably not the best way to allocate funds for the project but I just want to spend a solid weekend opening. I'll be completing the full SP set, of course, and the Actions. I'll be chasing the Throwbacks and Nicknames. I'll be collecting at least the full auto set if not the red ink autos. I normally don't care about the black-bordered parallels, and though they are going to be sharp this year, so I'll see if a get a Trout or Tatis or something in my cases. The minis, too. I'm on the fence about the coin cards but I'll see how that goes. Because they include 1/1s, I might limit myself to the Nickels or something. I'll go after the stamp cards but they're low priority. I'll collect the relic cards and maybe the auto relics. Full chrome set, maybe the black refractor set, too. And as many superfractors as I can get. The boxtopper posters will also be something I collect and maybe display. I really should stop buying everything else including food for the next 3 months.

And my usual goals: adding whatever Grady Sizemores I don't already have, a couple nice Frank Thomases, a couple nice cards of my other player collections (Springer, Yordan, Devers), completing 1941 Play Ball, finding what 1971 Greatest Moments I can, and 2011 Marquee Museums, plus the older low-numbered parallel sets I've been accumulating forever. And finally put my Sizemore collection in a suitable website.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
As someone who strictly collects Griffey, pre-retirement year issuances, I'm a lot more restricted in what is offered to collect. But I still find myself buying a ton of $5-$20 cards every year. This year I want to hold back and really make a splash by buying strictly higher end, low count Griffey's. So *hopefully* my purchase volume is way down but I find myself with a handful of nice ~$200+ cards.

The one exception....continue to work towards completing my Griffey base/white set of 2007 Moments and Milestones. I have 288 of the 388 so far.....

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm going to be very narrow this coming year. I won't be setting anything particular for my Biggio or Vaughn collections, I'll probably make a couple pickups, tek related most likely but I won't actively be chasing anything.

Red Sox HOF collection: I'd like to add 5 cards. Theres a few pieces of low hanging fruit I need to knock off but I think it's finally time I add a Williams rookie. I'm not adding that as an official goal but it's in my brain for sure.

Tim Wakefield collection: I was able to add a few this year. I'll actively be chasing any of his 2021 issues and I'd like to add another 10 from 2020 and back. I'm also adding in something I have never focused on too much before but I've been expanding the non-card stuff as it gets tougher and tougher, I'd like to add two new bobbleheads to the collection as well. I have some but I've seen three or four I don't have.

I'm going to add two sets down here, really more as a reminder that I want to start them at some point, not sure this is the year. 1959 ted williams fleer set and 2001 fleer red Sox 100th set

Last edited:

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I want to try focusing more attention on new Puckett cards from Topps in 2021 instead of new Panini releases. It looks like Puckett may be available in more of their product next year than ever before. He’s been missing for many years until the recent T206 set that came out a couple months ago. If that doesn’t materialize, then I’d likely just shift back to Panini... I like their product, but some of it looks the same year to year to me. It’s still been great to see him in their releases over the years and I’m thankful they’ve included him.

- Add at least 2 of the 8 - 2004 Leaf Exhibits that I need to finally complete that run. I’d love to find all 8 if I could, but these cards just don’t come up very often and it’s been a long and tiresome hunt for them. I offered $50 per card this year for the ones I needed and am ready to up that to $75 per card now. Here’s the ones I need, please PM me if you have any available:

Series 1 - (need 2, these had black & white fronts with sequential numbering on back)

1926 Unblocked Legend (1926U)
1939-46 Best Wishes Right (1939-46BWR)

Series 2 - (need 6, these had blueish fronts without any sequential numbering on back)

1921 American League (1921AML)
1939-46 Truly Yours Left (1939-46TYL)
1947-66 Made In USA Sig (1947-66MSIG)
1947-66 Printed By Donruss Playoff Print (1947-66PDPSCR)
1947-66 Printed In USA Sig (1947-66PDPSIG)
1962-63 No Stat Name Left (1962-63NSNL)

- Add at least 5 new autograph cards.

- Add one of the two bat barrel cards that was released in the last 2 years or so.

- Add a couple 1/1s if I’m lucky enough. These either have favorable BINs and all about timing or they push through my price range.

- Continue picking up interesting ACEO cards. I have a few favorites that make some really great cards and look forward to seeing what they come up with.

- Figure out what’s going on with those 1992 Ace Prototype sheets that were teased on the two Ace threads recently. I’d love to know more about the story and details on those sheets. I’ve always found those cards and the story very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Darin Erstad
+ Find the 2003 Sweet Spot Bat Barrel I am missing /4, I have the other 3.
+ Add another laundry tag
+ Add another button card
+ Add another barrel card
+ Find another game jersey
+ Of the 153 non 1/1 I am missing, I'd love to knock off 30 of those.
+ Of the 290 1/1 I am missing, pick up 12 or more.

Bucky Jacobsen
+ Missing only 4 non 1/1 cards. Would love to track down 2. On the list are a pair of /25 parallels and a retail parallel. "Common" stuff but elusive.
+ Of the 34 1/1 I am missing, add 6.

Aaron Kurcz
+ Add a game jersey
+ Finish off the IP auto's. I'd need to grab some extras and message him, then be finished with this run.
+ Find this card: 2011 Bowman Draft Prospect Autographs Red #AK Aaron Kurcz /25
+ Missing 6 1/1 and the above Red auto and I'll have everything.

Will Clark
+ Add an interesting game used item. I've got jerseys, a bat, batting helmet, batting gloves, etc
+ Move the rest of my PSA and BGS graded cards. I've got 100s.
+ Add a "keeper" type of card (laundry tag, barrel, etc).
+ Liquidate more singles I have to other Clark collectors
+ Add more 1987 Topps Tiffany rookies. I'm at around 500

Eddie Murray
+ Add a game bat. Have a hat and an Indians road jersey from 1995.
+ Liquidate more singles I have to other Murray collectors
+ Move the rest of my PSA and BGS graded cards. I've got 100s. Unsure about the 1978 PSA 9 though.

My son (age 6)
+ Open some packs together (if we can find any, LOL)
+ He loves Mike Trout (good taste, kid). Find something unique for him to keep.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh, sorry mate! I was just following suggestions from @Dazed....

Didn't mean to do a coup here :)

Whoa whoa whoa... ;):p
I don't recall who I took over for but I've started these threads since 2015.
I pass the torch on unceremoniously. I hope to see these continue as well as the Update threads at the end of the year.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So I have to ask. As someone who is totally satisfied having one example of each card, why do you collect multiple instances of the same card, like those 87 Clarks? Not talking trash here, just legitimately interested.

Will Clark
+ Add an interesting game used item. I've got jerseys, a bat, batting helmet, batting gloves, etc
+ Move the rest of my PSA and BGS graded cards. I've got 100s.
+ Liquidate more singles I have to other Clark collectors
+ Add more 1987 Topps Tiffany rookies. I'm at around 500

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
I would like to finish my Willie Mays run (missing the following years: 60, 62, 63, 64, 69, 70, 71)... PSA or SGC 8 for all of them except 60 (7), 62 (6 or 7), 71 (7). I think I will be able to do that... then I'll get some "key" cards from the 50s and hopefully finish some of my low numbered sets. Let's just hope 2021 is better than 2020. :)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I have 44 2-row shoeboxes. I’d like to get that down to 42 before I add more.

I’m sure I’ll weaken my resolve and join a few groups breaks next year, but I’ll try to only do it for higher end products with fewer cards.

It would be nice to finish my Topps Heritage chrome run (2001-2012) next year. I am pretty far away on 2001 and 2002, but very close on 2003 and 2007. 08 and 09 need some love and attention.

I just got a Pujols '03 if you need it...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Same as every year for me!

Reduce selling inventory.

Send big COMC order.

Stop buying so much wax.

Find a nice Stewart/Shatner dual auto.

I've been posting that same list for 3-4 years or so...LOL

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Looking forward to finally hitting some card shows again as well the $1 shipping on eBay.

Sorting & Organizing
- create updated eBay/COMC saved searches for vintage, high #, and SSP needs
- create list of vintage cards requiring upgrades
- research/track prices on higher-end Mantles, Berra, etc
- research grading/vintage condition
- reorganize my albums, purchase UltraPro sleeves for pages
- reorganize my spreadsheets/site and hopefully consolidate to one real-time list

1952-1979 Topps Yankees
- trade/sell some of my Yankee autograph towards vintage needs
- pick up 1970 Munson PSA slabbed rookie
- add 25 cards

1980-now Topps Yankees
- focus on crossing off easy oddball needs from last 20 years
- add 25 SP from recent years
- add 2021 base team set

Yankees Topps/Bowman Heritage
- add 10 SP/SSP from prior years
- add 2020 & 2021 base team sets

Paul O'Neill
- add 10 autograph/GU needs
- add 10 insert/parallel needs
- add 10 Tek needs

Non-baseball
- add 2 high-end autograph/sketch pieces

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
So I have to ask. As someone who is totally satisfied having one example of each card, why do you collect multiple instances of the same card, like those 87 Clarks? Not talking trash here, just legitimately interested.
I am somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. I tend to pick up dupes when I feel the price is too good to pass up mostly. Perhaps it is a little selfishness on my part, not wanting anyone else to get the deal I got on my first copy? I don't expect to corner the market on anything higher than a few copies, but some cards just call to me and when the price is right, I will buy another. That said, aside from buying some cheap lots of cards back in the earlier ebay days, the most I have of any card I bought singularly is about 75 or so. That would be the 1971 Topps Steve Garvey RC in varying conditions. Most other dupes are 10 copies or less (bought individually, again). That doesn't only apply to cards, but anything. I ended up buying a bunch of cheap SLUs from a card shop that bought a huge collection. I was grabbing the extended pieces and those that eluded me when they were new. He was asking $1-2 each and I could just not pass on any good ones. I may have bought 3-5 of the better pieces if they were available. I think I walked out with 60-75 pieces that day! It's a sickness, really...

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Some of these are more doable than others:

- Pick up ONE Trent Dilfer card I don't have from his playing career. This might be the toughest goal on the list...I was able to find a few I needed in 2020 that were produced after he retired, but nothing from his active career other than oddball items and maybe a couple of non serial-numbered replacement cards. I mean picking up something that's actually on my wantlist, or a legit 1/1.

- Get to 95% complete on my autographed 1988 Topps set. Counting what I have incoming or sitting at COMC, I'm only 18 away from this goal right now so even though I'm getting down to the big stars and rare signers this is very achievable.

- Complete the full A's Topps Gold run 2001-2020. I need to catch up on the last 4 years but the major difficulty will be finding the two cards I'm missing between 2001 and 2016, which are evidently short prints.

- Get my 2003-2014 A's Topps Black needs below 20. I think the number is around 50 right now so that's a lot to pick up, but I put a massive dent in my 2003-2010 needs during 2020 so I'm hopeful for this one.

- Complete the full run of A's *base* refractors from 1993-2013 Finest, Bowman's Best, Topps Chrome, and Bowman Chrome. This doesn't count embossed/no-protector/inserts/colors, we're talking just the normal refractor parallels of base set (and Bowman Chrome Prospect) cards. I've got the three biggest ones on my current wantlist incoming right now, the biggest hurdle here is 2001 Topps Chrome & Update, which accounts for a full half of my needs.

- Complete the full run of 2001-2005 Leaf Certified Mirror Red/Blue/Gold A's. This would be the "base" version of each Mirror, not counting the GU and auto versions from 2003-05 but counting the 2002 GU cards because those were the only versions. With some that I have incoming, I'm down to needing just 7 blues and 10 golds. It will be tough to complete but hopefully I can get close at least.

- Complete the full run of 1996-1999 Circa/Thunder Rave A's. I'm down to 3 cards for the run: 1997 McGwire, 1998 Henderson, and 1999 A.J. Hinch. I was the second bidder on a recent '98 Henderson so at least I seem to be willing to pay the going rate for these. Just a question of them popping up and me getting lucky. As a side note I own zero A's Super Raves.

- Finish several '90s parallel A's team sets I'm within 1-3 cards of completing: 1991 Topps Desert Shield, 1994 Collector's Choice Gold Signature, 1994 Pinnacle Artist's Proofs, 1994 Stadium Club First Day, 1995 Upper Deck Electric Diamond Gold, 1997 and 1998 Donruss Gold and Silver Press Proofs, 1997 Score Showcase Series Artist's Proofs, and 1997 Ultra Platinum Medallion. With some of these it's a question of being willing to pay up for McGwire/Canseco/Henderson, with others it's just impossible to find them.

- Cut my T205 & T206 A's needs to 8 cards. I'm at 18 currently with one incoming and one suspected Christmas present. The suspected present is a T206 Home Run Baker so if that's the case the only remaining HOFer I will need is one of the two T205 Eddie Collins variations. If I continue at my 2020 pick-up rate I'll reach this goal, but it's getting tougher to find low grade cards that are appealing to my eye and within the price range I set. I am clearly not counting the T206 Plank in these numbers.

- Scan the nicer cards in my collection up through the 2012-2016 A's teams. I'm through 2011 now but I also have a year's worth of pickups to add before I can even start on doing newer years. Tough to get motivated for this because editing the pics is so tedious and time consuming.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
1. Get my collection organized
This will take most of the year.

2. Knock 10 items off my Amos Otis needs list
Mainly just oddball stuff left (Hostess panels, team issue etc.)

3. Go through and complete my Topps base sets from 1976 - Current
Most of them are complete. Just need to verify they are and fill in the few that are missing.

4. Complete one of my 1972 - 1975 Topps sets
Get my needs list together and complete at least one of them. 1975 should be close.

5. Organize my Royals autographs
Seriously start working on picking up a bunch of these.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008

Fair enough. It's one of my favorite cards and I dreamed of having one as a 10 year old collector in 1987. That and for a bit of investment potential. Glad I stocked up on the 86 Tiffany's too... raw go for 3-4x what I paid. The PSA/BGS stuff even higher.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Ok.. My 2021 Goals

1) I currently have 45 autos on my sweet spot needs list.
I'd love to get that into the 30's

2) Make a needs list of 2019 leather and lumber baseball skin autos RC and veteran that I need and plug away at that

3) pick up more 2020 absolute baseball leather autos as possible. RC and needed vets. About 43-ish

4) Continue on my run of Trout refractors/gold base, refractors and xfractors. bowman, topps and stadium club.

5) If things are slow on other fronts I hope to pick up a graded HOF RC or two. I wish big in an Aaron or Mays but would be just as happy with a Banks or Koufax

6) Continue on my quest for flawless non-auto Jumbo patches. 2017- current

7) I'm open for surprises and learning of cards I didnt know existed.
I hope to have my credit cards and my house paid off as well. so we'll see how far I get with all of the above.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Mostly similar to last year's since I've largely continued focusing on the same collections. (Actually pretty much just copied last year's and modified it a bit)

These range from somewhat achievable to highly unlikely (not in any particular order)

1) Jackie Robinson signed baseball from his time in the ***** Leagues. There was a team ball from the team that went to Venezuela in 1945 that sold at Christie's a few year back. Would love to find where that one or similar.

2) Looking to find at least one contract from someone associated with Integration. Something like a Don Newcombe minor league contract.

3) I collect integration pieces in general and love finding contracts, but there is one other specific item I would love to pick up, and that's a ticket from Jackie Robinson's 1st Minor League game. They are rare and super expensive, though not as expensive as his Debut with the Dodgers so it may be possible.

4) Continuing to build the collection of lineup cards from significant games and vintage lineup cards. Was able to pick up a few major collections this year along with some incredibly cool individual pieces. If 2021 is half as successful as 2020 in this department it will be a great year.

5) Looking for at least one lineup card from a HOF manager that I don't already have. This past year I was able to find Joe Cronin. Still don't have Yogi Berra, along with some others that have been much harder to find than I might have expected.

6) Would love to pick up some more barnstorming programs and other barnstorming related items. Barnstorming games were maybe the first place that fans could see African American players playing against MLB players. So many big names toured including Ruth and Gehrig in their time, Jackie Robinson, Musial and so many others. Incredible and fascinating history tied to the tours.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts