Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1990 Donruss Red / Red card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
That 80 point font always makes me believe people are legit. I am waiting for that rare double sided, aqueos, blue/white, NNOF, F-Face card to show up out of these packs of Aqueous.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
These cards seem to come from the gap between the Aqueous test cards and the blue/white cards. Pat Sheridan is #367, Brian Downing #352, and Randy Johnson is #379. It seems that perhaps the whole set, all 700+ cards, were printed using various types of printing. Maybe the story that Donruss was testing different types of printing to perfect the process is true. This could also explain why the Aqueous cards are marked on the back. Since other "red" cards were printed it was easier to indentify which cards were printed using which processes. I wonder if there are other cards printed with other processes that will start popping up now?

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
superglue two cards together... there ya go.

Would make sense but look at the auctions. You can tell that one side of the card has the typical gloss on one side, and the back has the typical back surface but instead of stats it has a pic. It is very noticeable on the Randy Johnson side. You can tell it is a paper surface with no gloss.

Sorry for the huge pics. Borrowed them from the auction.

$(KGrHqZ,!qwF!-Frz!GDBQUEvo,htQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!oQF!K6JCTe4BQUEwLGB-Q~~60_57.JPG

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
superglue two cards together... there ya go.

That would be my first assumption but you can tell from the photos in the auction that the cards have a different finish on each side. One side with a "gloss" and the other side with a "flat" finish, mimicking the finish of the 1990 Donruss regular issue cards.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
That would be my first assumption but you can tell from the photos in the auction that the cards have a different finish on each side. One side with a "gloss" and the other side with a "flat" finish, mimicking the finish of the 1990 Donruss regular issue cards.

Yeah they are similar to the Blue/White test, where the White side is printed on the non-glossy back of the card

KCListingService

May 22, 2013
I listed a RED/RED Sheet!

Link was broken, but you can do this without having it be considered spamming. You can link your eBay name in your profile (shows up under your username). - Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Ameyer1979

Feb 8, 2021
Hello!
I am late to the party...looks like there are more of these rare red/red cards out there! We just discovered about 1100 of these cards in a box handed down to my husband from his dad (about 180-190 different sets ranging from 7-10 cards per set). They were purchased 1990-91 time frame and purchased as a lot with some other cards. They are open packages but they sat in the box they came in for the last 30 years and are in pristine condition. They came already cut. From the research we have done, someone said they were proof pages that were scraps. They are usually discarded, but this person thought some were “backdoored”. I can tell you that they are still hard to find info on, and pricing on eBay is scarce as there just doesn’t seem to be a lot out there.
Hoping to research a little more before we start selling to get a good price point for some of our good players/hall of famers. Just wanted to jump in here to let you all know that more have surfaced. Would love to get any tips or insight in how to price out some of these. We inventoried all of them and I can provide some lists of the good ones we have. I will post a sample pic of the couple we took pics of...and here is a link to a YouTube video that shows the cards in action to prove they are real!
19C691E9-3481-44DE-9E43-3D0AEB3AEE13.jpeg453C86B5-DFFC-431E-B88D-805BEDF0E026.jpeg94F3C10D-E668-4585-B470-D80D3FC1ECBB.jpegB67F7C4D-C1FE-447F-9602-AEDAD282998B.jpeg

Members online

Latest posts