Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

April 2021 - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
It's incredibly sad and frankly insulting that Topps couldn't even take the time to ensure that the frame embossing around the bat piece is centered...
I'm betting the mini card with the relic moves around inside the bigger frame card just like they do in Ginter.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
040821.jpg
The Ray Durham Season Stat Line is 18/26 and gets me to within 2 of the 15-card team set, not too shabby considering the cards are numbered as low as /12. The remaining two I need are a David Justice/49 and Jermaine Dye/86, so not any of the real rare ones. Hinch puts me 3 away from the 1999 UD MVP Gold Signature/100 team set. The Reggie Cactus League Legends card was one of the few basic Topps A's inserts I did not have yet from pre-2020. Nothing super special about it, just a bit tough.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Yep. Gotta start a refractor scanning party this weekend. The website is getting a picture refresh.

Old vs New
View attachment 123012 View attachment 123013

View attachment 123015 View attachment 123014

Definitely better since it looks like your old one had trouble with the focus on graded cards. I know my older scanner made the cards with lots of variation in the refractor pattern like the two above look awesome, but I ended up switching to a new one a few years back because I hated how it made regular refractors look. old vs. new:

steinbach93finref.jpg steinbach93finref2.jpg

It does have the effect of making many silver-toned refractors look white but I didn't like the lines that showed up on the old one.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Definitely better since it looks like your old one had trouble with the focus on graded cards. I know my older scanner made the cards with lots of variation in the refractor pattern like the two above look awesome, but I ended up switching to a new one a few years back because I hated how it made regular refractors look. old vs. new:

View attachment 123025 View attachment 123026

It does have the effect of making many silver-toned refractors look white but I didn't like the lines that showed up on the old one.

I got the Epson v370 so I'm going to be interested to see how it makes regular refractors look since it has the light bar effect. I originally ordered a V600 that doesn't have the light bar effect but it has been back ordered for over 2 months and I got impatient.

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
It's incredibly sad and frankly insulting that Topps couldn't even take the time to ensure that the frame embossing around the bat piece is centered...
You could aways take the card out of the black border? And have it as a mini.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I got the Epson v370 so I'm going to be interested to see how it makes regular refractors look since it has the light bar effect. I originally ordered a V600 that doesn't have the light bar effect but it has been back ordered for over 2 months and I got impatient.

Mine's a Canon 9000F Mark II, got it a few years back and it looks like they don't make it anymore. I will say it's kind of a nightmare for scanning full foil cards like Elite that don't have a holofoil effect, it picks up every tiny speck of dust. It seems like more people nowadays use a camera (or probably their iPhone) with lightboxes and such to show off their cards, but I'm old school and prefer a scanner. I very vividly remember the days when showing a picture of something online meant taking a picture with a film camera, getting it developed, then scanning it with an old low-resolution scanner, haha.

Oh I got distracted, here are today's pickups, a couple of great parallels:

040921.jpg
Those put me at 3 away from the 2002 Pristine Gold Refractor/70 team set and 4 away from the 2000 SkyBox Premium Star Rubies Extreeeme/50 team set. With stuff like Tek and Stadium Club making a comeback, I'm surprised Pristine hasn't reappeared.

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Used my eBay bucks for this 2005 Bowman Chrome Xfractor of Ortiz. Ser# out of /225. Only 10 bucks! Color Scheme of the card matches perfectly. IMG_1153.JPGIMG_1158.JPG

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Few Alex Reyes for the Cardinals collection today. The Stadium Club auto with the throwback uniform is my favorite. That's just a fantastic looking card all around.

2017 Topps Flagship sadly was a terrible year for parallel designs. I don't know why on earth they did them that way with the splashes of white running through the parallel. I do like the Limited Edition though it really feels like an afterthought set.

2017 Stadium Club Auto.jpg

2017 Topps Chrome Autograph.jpg

2017 Topps Chrome Refractor.jpg

2017 Topps Limited Edition.jpg

2017 Topps Opening Day Blue Foil.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
041221-1.jpg
A tough 1999 Topps Stars foil/99 parallel of Eric Chavez and a 2002 UD 40-Main Electric Rainbow David Justice 05/40 that arrived with a surprise corner ding (that's always nice). Harden and Kielty finish off the 2007 Topps (and Update) Copper/56 team set. So almost kind of like I finally finished a Topps Black team set, but not really. But hey it's a *36* card team set numbered/56 so that's nothing to sneeze at.

041221-2.jpg
Trent Dilfer is in a couple of stupidly late-season "2020" football sets, so hey I gotta buy them. This one is 25/25. The Laureano gives me all A's Topps Chrome regular refractors 2002-2019. Still missing one 1998 and several from 2001, plus some I need to catch up on from 2020. The Orange Armenteros was just a cheap pickup, he seems like a dud. The Cespedes 2012 Topps Factory Orange/210 RC was the last non-1/1 variation of that card I needed. The Cespedes 2012 Ginter auto features his original signature, which he changed to something easier midway through his rookie year. And finally I could not pass up a Zito A's Gold Refractor, 07/50.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
041321.jpg
Michael Taylor knocks my A's needs for 2012 Topps Black down to 2 cards. The 2015 Toys R Us Purple Sonny Gray is just one I needed, not chasing the team set yet. The 2002 Rival factions Foxx/Martin was advertised as the retail version but is actually the hobby, which is super annoying because I already have the hobby version. It was $4 so it's not worth my time to try to get a refund on a card where it was a genuine mistake by the seller and not a ripoff attempt...the hobby version is actually owrth more. Rounding out today's pickups is the 2021 Donruss A's team set.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Today's mail day brought a question, well actually a couple of them. All of the other Significant Signatures singles I've picked up are numbered /2,000 other than the Ryan non-refractor that's /1,000. The other Kiners I've seen are numbered as well. What the heck did i just buy? Proof? Backdoored copy that was signed as a replacement? Backdoor copy that was signed later?

The other What? about this card is more a case of Donruss being Donruss. Kiner is a Pittsburgh Pirates legend and Hall of Famer who spent 1 bad season at the end of his career in Cleveland. Indians picture it is I guess.

Ralph Kiner.jpg Ralph Kiner Back.jpg

A couple more for the Reyes RC Rainbow. I like this kind of oddball parallels/variations that people don't always pick up.

2017 Topps Cardinals.jpg
2017 Topps Cardinals Team Set Issue

2017 Topps Mini.jpg
2017 Topps Online Mini

Members online

Latest posts