Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay Launches Authentication for Trading Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
For all raw and ungraded cards. If a card sells for $750 or more it will be sent to CSG for "authentication" at no extra cost to the buyer or seller. Recently bought a card that was listed at $900.00 OBO ended up getting it for $675.00 and it still got sent to Florida where CSG is located.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I swear this was posted already but I didn’t locate a topic after the first 5 pages.

I honestly think that if I’m paying that much for a card already, it should be slabbed/graded. I get FOMO and wanting to sell while the player/market is hot, but I just couldn’t buy a card raw.

On the other hand, if it’s going to CSG for authentication, you’d think they would grade it or have something in place for the buyer to add that as an extra in the listing.

I do hope that CSG has a separate department for this, as I would hate for their grading turnaround times to slip.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
For all raw and ungraded cards. If a card sells for $750 or more it will be sent to CSG for "authentication" at no extra cost to the buyer or seller. Recently bought a card that was listed at $900.00 OBO ended up getting it for $675.00 and it still got sent to Florida where CSG is located.

Ok, but what happens if its turns out to be fake? They send it back to the seller and you get a refund?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
I swear this was posted already but I didn’t locate a topic after the first 5 pages.

I honestly think that if I’m paying that much for a card already, it should be slabbed/graded. I get FOMO and wanting to sell while the player/market is hot, but I just couldn’t buy a card raw.

On the other hand, if it’s going to CSG for authentication, you’d think they would grade it or have something in place for the buyer to add that as an extra in the listing.

I do hope that CSG has a separate department for this, as I would hate for their grading turnaround times to slip.

I would still not want them to grade it, as I am still not a fan of CSG slabs and grading yet. I do understand that would be cool if they gave you that option to authenticate and also have the option of grading it as well.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
For some reason I thought I read that they (CSG/ebay) would take the card off the market and refund the buyer.

Bigger question for me is what will the fee be once Ebay stops paying it later in the year and forces sellers to absorb that cost.
Ok, but what happens if its turns out to be fake? They send it back to the seller and you get a refund

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Ok, but what happens if its turns out to be fake? They send it back to the seller and you get a refund?
Found this.

Applicability of eBay Money Back Guarantee (“eMBG”).
For authenticated items, purchases are covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee when all other eligibility requirements are met and the item isn’t received, or the item arrives damaged, or the seller doesn’t fulfill their return policy.

If the seller does not accept returns or the return is opened outside of the stated return window, the item is considered “final sale” and cannot be returned.

In the unlikely event that your item is damaged in transit, you must open a return request within 3 calendar days or if the seller offers returns within the seller's stated return window.

1. Impact of Fraud Detection on Buyers and Sellers.
    You acknowledge and agree that if the third-party authenticator detects fraud or suspects that an item is counterfeit, the item will be removed from marketplace circulation. In addition, eBay will work with the proper authorities as needed and reserves the right to confiscate or destroy any items determined to be counterfeit.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Found this.

Applicability of eBay Money Back Guarantee (“eMBG”).
For authenticated items, purchases are covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee when all other eligibility requirements are met and the item isn’t received, or the item arrives damaged, or the seller doesn’t fulfill their return policy.

If the seller does not accept returns or the return is opened outside of the stated return window, the item is considered “final sale” and cannot be returned.

In the unlikely event that your item is damaged in transit, you must open a return request within 3 calendar days or if the seller offers returns within the seller's stated return window.

1. Impact of Fraud Detection on Buyers and Sellers.
    You acknowledge and agree that if the third-party authenticator detects fraud or suspects that an item is counterfeit, the item will be removed from marketplace circulation. In addition, eBay will work with the proper authorities as needed and reserves the right to confiscate or destroy any items determined to be counterfeit.

Members online