Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 2022-New Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This was inserted in 1994 Ted Williams' Roger Staubach's NFL boxes. There were actually 4 different OJ autos in that product if I remember right.

I only own one "big book" guide for football and it from around 1999. I probably should see about getting a new one, but I really don't need/want it loaded with the confusing mess of parallels and inserts collecting has grown into. I really do miss the simplicity of the 90s. Some great cards, nothing too terribly limited (except some of these autos) and you mostly knew what was available and what you had. Now you pjull something and need a decoder ring to figure it out.

That said, I find the dating odd for a regular signed card. Now maybe TW took advantage of the OJ fiasco to sell cards. That is entirely possible. However, for what it is worth, my Krause book makes no mention of an OK auto, even thought I now have 2 different stamped and numbered autos from that issue.

On to today's spoils. Slowing backfilling the missing spots in this set. I wanted to complete it in the 90s and never did. Not sure I will, but as long as I can still find some decent prices, I will try. Musial.jpg

Bip! Nice to see him get a certified auto card. May be his only set ever. Bip.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A COMC shipment came in this week. Only took 14 days from the time it was requested to ship date for budget shipping. I placed a Sportlots order at the same time and I'm still waiting on the cards from a couple of those sellers.

092422-01.jpg 092422-02.jpg
All team set completers. The 1998 Donruss Gold Press Proof Rickey Henderson completes the 1995-98 run of A's Donruss Press Proofs. The rest of the sets are: 1997 Score Showcase (don't know why the Canseco was so hard to find), 1998 SPx Finite Radiance (numbering varies but Henderson is /1000), 2001 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors/50, 2005 Leaf Limited Silver Spotlight/50, 2005 Leaf Limited base set (/699 with /99 autos), 2005 Upper Deck Retro, and 2008 UD Heroes Charcoal/399.

092422-03.jpg 092422-04.jpg
I finally picked up a 1999 Fleer Brilliants 24K Gold card. Also a 1998 Donruss Preferred Great X-Pectations Die Cut A-Rod/Tejada - the first 300 serial numbered cards were the die cut variation. Kind of tough to find.

092422-05.jpg
Slowly filling my SP Prospects Destination The Show needs from all years, Grieve is a '95. FINALLY found a 1996 Ultra Golden Prospects Steve Cox to finish my needs for that set...now to find the Gold Medallion versions for him and Tony Batista. Then there's a Dan Johnson 2005 Gold Refractor/50, Rich Harden 2005 Platinum Medallion/50, Jermaine Dye 2003 Donruss Champions Holofoil/25, Rollie Fingers 2003 Tribute World Series Gold/100, Rickey Henderson 2004 Leather & Lumber Black/White Silver/100, and a 2006 Turkey Red Gold Dan Haren.

092422-06.jpg
Some autos. The Graham Koonce is a 2004 Mirror Emerald/5, and Brandon Moss is /25.

092422-07.jpg
A few GU...Rickey is /100.

092422-08.jpg
2012 Topps Black Kurt Suzuki puts me 1 away from completing that team set, Olson gets me 2 away for the 2019 set.

092422-09.jpg
I was very lucky to spot a 2013 Panini America's Pastime/125 Rickey Henderson right after it was listed for a good price. Tough to find a "base" /125 Rickey. The Laureano Finest Flashbacks Black Refractor is /25 as are the two 2008 Finest Red Refractors. The Frank Thomas eTopps is /529.

092422-10.jpg
This one was separate from the COMC haul, a 2005 Topps Fan Favorites Refractor Billy Beane 188/299. I had already picked up all of the 2003-05 Fan Favorites A's Refractors but I also wanted this one. Beane played more games for the Twins than any other MLB team but he did play for the A's for a short time and is way more known for being an A's executive than a player so it makes no sense why they put him in the set as a Twin.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today's mail brought. C Martin F.jpgC Martin B.jpgMeyer.jpg. The Martin, I believe, is one of the factory signed cards.

I also went to the Everett Mall Twin Oaks Show today. It was on a whim, as I had no previous plans to attend when I saw an ad late last week. My oldest son went back for college yesterday and my wife is working this weekend, so I had the car free and nothing to do. I brought some extra $, thinking maybe I'd take my time and splurge. By extra, I mean I had about $130, which was all the cash I had handy.

The show seemed slow and I don't usually even go to these. There were some empty tables too. Either I wasn't feeling it, or the vendors really didn't have anything I wanted or I wasn't into going through boxes today. Maybe it is just me, but some organization would help me a lot, as I got sick of looking through mixed up boxes. I know its probably hard to do when people are going through your stuff, but keep baseball separate from football and so on.

My main goal was to find (hopefully) some semi cheap certified football and/or basketball autos of 60s-90s guys. That is my new mission now. Today was a major fail, in fact I only came back with 2 autographs (4 when you count the 2 1977 Topps IP sigs). All in all, I only managed to spend $15. Here is how I did. The top group of 4 cards to the right was $5. The bottom and much larger grouping (32 cards) was $10. Nothing great, the Birdsong auto was my high roller at $3, Lincecum blue refractor was $2 and the Folty auto was $1. Everything else was under a buck. It was a decent time to kill a couple hours, but I left unsatisfied for my card fix.

Story about the Lincecum, normally I would have never looked twice at this, but the seller was an older guy I knew and he was taking pics of cards and using some sort of site to provide a price from the pic. They didn't seem all that accurate for what prices were coming up. The Lincecum was in his $4 box I was checking out, so I was curious how close he was to being on market, since his table was almost entirely vintage stuff. I had no clue either because this isn't in my wheelhouse of buying, so I checked ebay ended sales at the same time and it looked like the average price was right around $8-10. I figured he was right in there, asking $4, but then he lowered it to $2! I bought it just because. All of the cards from the larger group were his, he bulk being in his $0.25 & $0.50 boxes.

IMG_1466.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Last couple of mail days

I got seven more pieces for the 2001 GoTG set this week, including two SPs. The Torre is /500 and the Palmer is /600.

Base:
Jim Bunning.jpgAndre Dawson.jpgJuan Marichal.jpgBill Mazeroski.jpgOzzie Smith.jpg

SPs:
Jim Palmer SP.jpgJoe Torre SP.jpg

I got two more pieces for the 2002 Classic Cuts set in too, both base. I'm down to just the Phil Rizzuto /125 and the Tommy Lasorda /35 (ouch) to complete this one.
Harmon Killebrew.jpgJuan Marichal.jpg

I also grabbed this Ozzie Smith / Marty Marion dual just because it looked cool. I didn't realize until I got it and started to catalog it that it's /100.
IS7 Ozzie.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
2004 Donruss Gold Press Proof /25 Darin Erstad (a dupe)
2017 Choice Nashville Sounds Aaron Kurcz IP Auto

Didn't have a signed version of the Kurcz and was excited to get it for a few bucks. As an added wrinkle on my PC of him, I am collecting IP autos of every card. I've got almost all of them now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another nice variety day...Mondays are almost always big mail days. My buying, but seller sending habits too.

Elway 1.jpg.Elway 2.jpgAnother different Collectors Edge Elway. Pretty sure this is a pack pulled, but they apparently didn't mark them.

Theismann. Like the green on what looks like a retro type issue. Theismann.jpg

Lott Au, this is definitely the pack certified, but it's marked as such. Sucks when they sign the back though. Maybe I got burned on the Elway? Lott.jpg

Dandridge, finally! There is a tntnorthnj story that goes with that comment. That guy just plain sucks as a seller. We are done, in fact I got him to block me so I won't even accidentally buy from that AH. Dandridge.jpg

Richmond. rITCHMOND.jpg

And it is a baseball thread, so Fergie! Pack pulled numbered version. Jenkins.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
One for the GOTG set today
Frank Robinson.jpg

One for the Significant Signatures rebuild
Willie McCovey Black Ink.jpg

And one for a new project. I want autographed postcards of the Hall of Fame's Buck O'Neil Award Winners. I already have Buck (though I'd like to find a full index card) so Roland Hemond makes two of the five. The other winners so far are Rachel Robinson, Joe Garagiola, and David Montgomery. The first two are easy (though Ms. Robinson is kind of spendy) but Montgomery didn't seem to sign much.
Roland Hemond.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Congrats @Dazed - that's a great box!

@mrmopar - I love those 2005 UD HOF. Murray was in it and I was around 80% complete of his autos (dozens upon dozens of variations) but have started to piece them out to another Murray guy.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
092822-1.jpg
2022 Topps Museum Collection Barry Zito Archival Autographs 093/125, 2001 Ultra Platinum Medallion Xavier Nady 02/25.

092822-2.jpg
28 Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) IP autographs from @RNCoyote . Thanks for going through the trouble to get these and thanks for the deal! These should help out my major league A's auto collection over the next couple of years.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just 1 in today, Gannon buyback /20. Wasn't sure after buying, but see the embossed seal from Panini to go with the serial number. An old Pacific card sure looks weird as a buyback, which is why I liked it a lot. Gannon 20.jpg

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
A COMC shipment came in this week. Only took 14 days from the time it was requested to ship date for budget shipping. I placed a Sportlots order at the same time and I'm still waiting on the cards from a couple of those sellers.

View attachment 342122 View attachment 342123
All team set completers. The 1998 Donruss Gold Press Proof Rickey Henderson completes the 1995-98 run of A's Donruss Press Proofs. The rest of the sets are: 1997 Score Showcase (don't know why the Canseco was so hard to find), 1998 SPx Finite Radiance (numbering varies but Henderson is /1000), 2001 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors/50, 2005 Leaf Limited Silver Spotlight/50, 2005 Leaf Limited base set (/699 with /99 autos), 2005 Upper Deck Retro, and 2008 UD Heroes Charcoal/399.

View attachment 342124 View attachment 342125
I finally picked up a 1999 Fleer Brilliants 24K Gold card. Also a 1998 Donruss Preferred Great X-Pectations Die Cut A-Rod/Tejada - the first 300 serial numbered cards were the die cut variation. Kind of tough to find.

View attachment 342132
Slowly filling my SP Prospects Destination The Show needs from all years, Grieve is a '95. FINALLY found a 1996 Ultra Golden Prospects Steve Cox to finish my needs for that set...now to find the Gold Medallion versions for him and Tony Batista. Then there's a Dan Johnson 2005 Gold Refractor/50, Rich Harden 2005 Platinum Medallion/50, Jermaine Dye 2003 Donruss Champions Holofoil/25, Rollie Fingers 2003 Tribute World Series Gold/100, Rickey Henderson 2004 Leather & Lumber Black/White Silver/100, and a 2006 Turkey Red Gold Dan Haren.

View attachment 342127
Some autos. The Graham Koonce is a 2004 Mirror Emerald/5, and Brandon Moss is /25.

View attachment 342128
A few GU...Rickey is /100.

View attachment 342129
2012 Topps Black Kurt Suzuki puts me 1 away from completing that team set, Olson gets me 2 away for the 2019 set.

View attachment 342130
I was very lucky to spot a 2013 Panini America's Pastime/125 Rickey Henderson right after it was listed for a good price. Tough to find a "base" /125 Rickey. The Laureano Finest Flashbacks Black Refractor is /25 as are the two 2008 Finest Red Refractors. The Frank Thomas eTopps is /529.

View attachment 342131
This one was separate from the COMC haul, a 2005 Topps Fan Favorites Refractor Billy Beane 188/299. I had already picked up all of the 2003-05 Fan Favorites A's Refractors but I also wanted this one. Beane played more games for the Twins than any other MLB team but he did play for the A's for a short time and is way more known for being an A's executive than a player so it makes no sense why they put him in the set as a Twin.

I'm probably the only person in the world that was stoked to see a Yabu auto. I have a few in my Japanese PC.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A very nice non-Dodger mail day for me!

Start with the baseball, a 93 Fleer Glavine Au (pack pulled). Glavine.jpg

Then, roll out the QBs! All pack pulled certified goodies.

Namath, since I was slightly suspect of my other one. Namath.jpg

Kemp. Kemp.png

And for me, the big hitter of the night, since I didn't have one and he ain't cheap! Bradshaw. Bradshawq.jpg