Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Eddie Robinson podcast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I think they are really good and well worth anyone's time.

I've actually spent a considerable amount of time with and around Mr. Robinson and he is just a great storyteller.

When I was posting this I was actually thinking of a few specific guys that I thought might like this.

@joey12508 @dano7 @mrmopar

I'm sure that there are others I am forgetting.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the mention. i listened to a couple of them. it's another example of how different the sports world was and is. Imagine in the future a 100 year old Griffey or Trout just telling stories on a podcast, signing autographs & soliciting donations for a friend in need, etc. Different world indeed!

It sounds like it would be interesting to have the opportunity to sit with him for a while and listen to his stories. Most of the players from many years back did not play in the game of millions of $ and were clearly just regular guys who just happen to have played a professional sport. During the offseason, some had other jobs to help supplement their lives. Of course, being a former professional player and the oldest living former MLB player does bring some added celebrity, but that latter honor probably changes hands a little too often unfortunately. I listened to the one where he was invited to a Rangers game. Clearly you and I don't have those same opportunities (that come with being a former player), but it was neat to hear his perspective.

I am connected to a few former baseball folks on facebook and feel a somewhat similar situation, although we have not met and we are not personal friends. Several tell stories or just share their personal experiences from day to day like any of us would, with some VIP type experiences slipped in, because of course, they have that opportunity. Today it's online, but 40-50 years ago you might have been able to make that same connection by visiting a former players bowling alley, restaurant or bar!

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
He signed at my show a few years ago and brought copies of his book to sign. He carries in the box of books (decent sized walk) and asks where his table is. I show up and he brings the books to his table. The amazing thing to realize he is only 95 or so at the time. Amazing how sharp he still is.

He also spoke at our synagogue's annual dinner and told amazing stories.

Rich

Latest posts