Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any diehard Padres collectors or player collectors of anyone who was on the 1991 team? - Coke Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
These are not for sale or trade at this time.

I do a number of daily searches and a lot of various Padre memorabilia showed up in a lot that caught my eye. Most of it was random stuff, some scorecard/magazines (a few with cards) and some other vaguely cool stuff, but I really was only interested in the Coke cards included in this lot. The lot was priced above $20 with s/h and I was hoping to work a deal. Having had some really icy or bad experiences trying to work deals with sellers of late, I was not holding my breath. This time though, the seller was receptive to selling me just the item I wanted and relisting the lot with the stuff I didn't want! I had not seen this particular year for Coke, but had seen a few prior years. The cards themselves were often perforated and somewhat crude looking. It would appear that these may have been some sort of stadium giveaway and don't seem all that plentiful in any year of issue. Another example of a set being attractive, solely because you hardly ever see it.

Anyway, I was not sure what year the cards in the lot were and there was no detail on the players included or how many. I could only see a stack and one player on top. I didn't want to push my luck, so I simply asked if they would consider selling just the Coke cards and if so, how much? An offer was made by the seller (i wasn't even sure if it was w or w/o shipping until the auction was listed. I accepted, paid and the cards arrived today. I was pleasantly surprised to see there were 20 cards total! The cards are thick card stock and vary slightly in size, as it appears they would have been cut from small sheets. They are not perforated. All of the cards look brand new. The design is rather dull, but I can't even find any details on the set itself. Could I have stumbled upon something even harder to find than the previous years Coke cards? Or maybe I am just looking at a lightly collected, unpopular issue.

The year of issue based on the previous season stats would be 1991, but Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez were included in the lot and both joined the club in December of 1990 (traded for J. Carter & R. Alomar, who were absent from the lot). Also, both players appear to be featured in spring training photos, so these cards were made prior to or shortly after the 1991 season started.

The lot is definitely highlighted by Tony Gwynn and the McGriff cards, but also includes Bip Roberts, Tony Fernandez, Benito Santiago and announcer cards for Rick Monday and Jerry Coleman among others. Other than Andy Benes, I don't see any key player omissions from the 1991 roster and sets like these were typically smaller. This may be a full set at 20 subjects.

Does anyone have a set or singles? Have you even seen it listed anywhere? I found this as the only online evidence of this set, and based on the description and checklist they have, it would seem at least 2 of the 9 cards sheets were made. I have 8 of the 9 listed, but no title card. Also interesting to note, that all of the subjects from this sheet have studio portrait backdrops. The other 12 cards I have either have spring training or game action backgrounds. Given what I know now, I would suspect a 3rd sheet and now that would make my "set" incomplete (aside from the fact I didn't get the header card either).

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpg
    IMG_6509.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56

khillyard

Jul 2, 2013
Midlothian, TX
McGriff collector here. I have two of the McGriff Coke cards. I have had the two for a while, probably since the 1990's. It has been a long time since I have seen a McGriff come up for sale. Love the regional issues, although with McGriff it can be a little daunting since he played for 6 teams.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey, those are cool. I kinda like the design, and yes the fact that the are seldom seen adds to it. I have the Robbie Alomar from the 1989 and 1990 sets and I dig them. When I started my PC as a kid I knew of the existence of the "Coke Padres" sets, but it was years later that I actually found them. Good luck with your quest to identify and nab the complete set!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a lead that tells me they were issued in programs that year. You'd think more would have shown up though, unless they just got beat up.

khillyard

Jul 2, 2013
Midlothian, TX
Interesting. I know the 1991 Rally's Hamburger Cards were in the Padres Magazine. I had always assumed that the Coke cards were either in or on Coke can cartons. Would definitely be good to know the real source for these.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If anyone finds more, I would be interested in the Gwynn!!
My lead has at least one set, possibly more. He has not gotten back to me as to what he wants for the cards yet, but if I have a set with my 21 cards and can get another or pass you along to him, I will.