Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jesse Barfield/Mark McGwire Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell Sims

Sep 5, 2020
Has anybody ever hear of a card the 1990 Bowman #454 with the photo of Jesse Barfield and the stats on the back being Mark McGwire? I just got out my old 90's collection. I had a box with nothing but McGwire cards in it. I noticed the picture didn't look like McGwire but his stats were on the back?? Anybody have any idea?

Attachments

• 20200905_163751.jpg
    20200905_163751.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200905_163757.jpg
    20200905_163757.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Wrong backs are somewhat unique, but can also be common for certain issues. A McGwire collector might covet that card with a slight premium attached to it, but you didn't hit the lottery.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
There were a LOT of these from about 1987-1991. Bizarrely, Topps even sold whole cut card cases of them, along with blank backs and blank fronts. Kruk Cards used to sell them for like $200 for a box of something like 8000+ carrds

Darrell Sims

Sep 5, 2020
Wrong backs are somewhat unique, but can also be common for certain issues. A McGwire collector might covet that card with a slight premium attached to it, but you didn't hit the lottery.
That blows.. But I forgot I even had it..

Darrell Sims

Sep 5, 2020
There were a LOT of these from about 1987-1991. Bizarrely, Topps even sold whole cut card cases of them, along with blank backs and blank fronts. Kruk Cards used to sell them for like $200 for a box of something like 8000+ carrds
Thank you.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I don’t think it is worthless, but I agree with everyone else that it isn’t a high dollar code.

As a point of reference, here is a Frank Thomas wrong back from the same set that sells for about $20. Notice that the guy has sold 56 of them, so these aren’t really that rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The neat thing about cards is you'll never know when some odd bidding war will net you some crazy price for something though. If you are looking to sell items and you don't expect a certain outcome, sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised.

When covid started, apparently the supply of card supplies started to dry up. I stumbled upon it my mistake, but learned that people were paying big $$ for supplies and ever used supplies were selling well. I was sitting on 20 some odd years worth of used supplies, so I decided to test the market. I advertised a flat rate priority box filled with either soft sleeves, toploaders or card saver type holders. They all sold on the first try and I was getting $20-45 per box, depending on the item. I was amazed and quite happy. I ran out of soft sleeves and card savers fast, but had tons of toploaders. They settled down to around $30/box so I started listing them at that price with an offer option. I think I sold 6-7 boxes at around $30-35. I finally got down to my last box and listed it the very same way. As luck would have it, 2 bidders went wild over it and it ended at just over $70! These boxes were holding in the neighborhood of 500-550 toploaders. I so wished I had just one more box to be able to offer the underbidder a 2nd chance offer. I had sold so many at $30 and now a shot at getting $70 for another one and I was out!

Darrell Sims

Sep 5, 2020
I don’t think it is worthless, but I agree with everyone else that it isn’t a high dollar code.

As a point of reference, here is a Frank Thomas wrong back from the same set that sells for about $20. Notice that the guy has sold 56 of them, so these aren’t really that rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
Same year even.. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts