Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OK USPS has to step up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I’ve had a couple pieces of mail lost recently, USPS says they arrived to my PO Box but nothing was there and I’m told I am up a creek without a paddle...

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
one driver i talk to -- says cluster --nobody in leadership - some sorting boxes not touched for days . I can take a package 20 miles from local and it gets there before yesterdays local drop

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Just checked some tracking info for a few people on Sportlots, had one that sat in a NY/NJ hub for 8 days before being scanned Arrived. Not surprising at all, given what we're dealing with. Regular mail, PWE stuff, not a problem right now, those machines can be run 24/7 to make up for the ones taken offline over the summer. Packages are another story; you lose sorting machines, and you lose clerks to sort them, and you lose the hours clerks are allowed to sort them, and you get week delays. Even given that we're delivering packages on Sundays, and many carriers making two trips to deliver everything, it's not gonna happen like it should. A few Christmases ago, I worked four 80-hour weeks; now some aren't even allowed to hit 40.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
My mail man is great. No problems. The UPS driver is a punk. He would go out of his way to be an ass whole.

I'm guess I'm lucky on all fronts, UPS, USPS, FedEx are all great drivers for me. Know them by first names and never had problems with any of them so far. I even live in a rural area and they make the effort to get the package close as possible and safe for theft.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm guess I'm lucky on all fronts, UPS, USPS, FedEx are all great drivers for me. Know them by first names and never had problems with any of them so far. I even live in a rural area and they make the effort to get the package close as possible and safe for theft.

I live in a small town of 18,000 people, right next to Boston. People have a different mentality around here.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
so far in 2020 i have shipped approximately 100 items across ebay , the bench , fcb , etc all using basic bubble mailers with labels printed from home and then placed in my mailbox in the boonies...with the exception of one package taking 9 days to go overseas to an apo address , from january through thanksgiving (i havent checked on the 4packages since then) i had only one package take more than 4 days to be delivered and that was the FIRST one i placed in the box at my NEW house...i put it in the box on wednesday but it didnt get picked up til friday and then sat in columbia (50 miles from here) for 8 days before leaving the state and being delivered within 3 days...of all the other packages sent MOST were delivered on the just third day after they had been paid for and quite a few even made it all the way cross country within just 2 days...

of course i likely just jinxed myself and will have my next 3 packages completely disappear...

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Our local USPS office is doing Sunday deliveries (really messed up my body calendar yesterday when I got mail lol) trying to catch up. Our regular USPS driver is fantastic. We always slip him a gift card, homemade caramel corn, and some smoked goodies for Christmas. Our replacement driver is the opposite. She literally dropped packages (thankfully nothing breakable) on the ground with me standing on the other side of our gate from her on Friday and refused to talk to me at all when I asked her to stop for a second. She just jumped back in her truck and sped off. I'd give her a pass since I know they're all stressed but she's always that way. She's also very good at putting packages/mail in the wrong mailbox. 3 driveways for 4 houses meet at the end of my driveway so there are 4 mailboxes there. On days that she runs the route whoever picks up their mail first that day just sorts everyone's mail and puts it in the right box. I bought a large mailbox so that larger packages would fit and now anytime there is a package for any of my neighbors that won't fit in their box it ends up in mine.

My normal UPS driver is awesome. We have a couple replacement drivers who won't drive their trucks over our cattle guard though because they were concerned it won't hold their trucks weight (laughable). They leave packages at my unsecured mailbox a quarter mile from my house. You want to talk about ticked off? One of them left a new video card sitting in the tulip bed below my mailbox a couple months ago. He marked it Delivered-Left with small child. I searched the tulip bed but couldn't find the child lol. I'd filed a missing package report before I found the package in the tulips. I've still never gotten a follow up call so I'm assuming the driver was able to corroborate the small child story somehow.

We had a terrible FedEx guy for a while but he was replaced a couple months ago by younger guy (retired maybe/hopefully?) So far the new guy has been pretty solid.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
I live in a small town of 18,000 people, right next to Boston. People have a different mentality around here.

I live in a town of 50k plus but live outside city limits. Bet its different for those that live in town.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
Our local USPS office is doing Sunday deliveries (really messed up my body calendar yesterday when I got mail lol) trying to catch up. Our regular USPS driver is fantastic. We always slip him a gift card, homemade caramel corn, and some smoked goodies for Christmas. Our replacement driver is the opposite. She literally dropped packages (thankfully nothing breakable) on the ground with me standing on the other side of our gate from her on Friday and refused to talk to me at all when I asked her to stop for a second. She just jumped back in her truck and sped off. I'd give her a pass since I know they're all stressed but she's always that way. She's also very good at putting packages/mail in the wrong mailbox. 3 driveways for 4 houses meet at the end of my driveway so there are 4 mailboxes there. On days that she runs the route whoever picks up their mail first that day just sorts everyone's mail and puts it in the right box. I bought a large mailbox so that larger packages would fit and now anytime there is a package for any of my neighbors that won't fit in their box it ends up in mine.

My normal UPS driver is awesome. We have a couple replacement drivers who won't drive their trucks over our cattle guard though because they were concerned it won't hold their trucks weight (laughable). They leave packages at my unsecured mailbox a quarter mile from my house. You want to talk about ticked off? One of them left a new video card sitting in the tulip bed below my mailbox a couple months ago. He marked it Delivered-Left with small child. I searched the tulip bed but couldn't find the child lol. I'd filed a missing package report before I found the package in the tulips. I've still never gotten a follow up call so I'm assuming the driver was able to corroborate the small child story somehow.

We had a terrible FedEx guy for a while but he was replaced a couple months ago by younger guy (retired maybe/hopefully?) So far the new guy has been pretty solid.

What kind of big mail box did you get? I'd like to upgrade mine so it can hold bigger packages. Need to possibly get a secured one as I'm paranoid at times how easy it is to steal my mail out of my old school mail box.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
What kind of big mail box did you get? I'd like to upgrade mine so it can hold bigger packages. Need to possibly get a secured one as I'm paranoid at times how easy it is to steal my mail out of my old school mail box.

This is what I got. I thought about a secured one but I'm out in the middle of nowhere. If they wanted to they could just take the whole mailbox and no one would be the wiser.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona

This is what I got. I thought about a secured one but I'm out in the middle of nowhere. If they wanted to they could just take the whole mailbox and no one would be the wiser.

Yeah, that's the size I have now and it's great. I have a gate on my property and it's mostly open due to allow the deliveries to come to the house but would love to keep it closed all day and just have them put the packages in a nice big locking mailbox.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
At my old house my mailbox post fell over, rusted out inside the ground. So when I replaced it I went all out. I don't have pictures anymore but I bought a box like that one and painted it with racing stripes and stuff. It looked awesome. Sadly, when I sold my house the realtor advised I paint it a plain, dull color. I did, but I was sad about it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Had a card I was extremely excited for show delivered yesterday. Went to the mailbox and it was not there. I know there are delivery issues now, but what is one to think when an item shows delivered, yet it is not inside your locked mailbox? I tried calling the local PO. Maybe they tossed it into my neighbor's box. Maybe it was scanned, just but dropped back into a box of mail by accident. They did not answer the phone after a billion rings on 2 separate occasions. I called the 800 # and was told wait times exceeded 1 hour. I tried the online forms and got it all filled out and it wouldn't let me submit it! I tried numerous times, meanwhile I sat on hold and finally just a few minutes shy of 2 hours, someone picked up and I filed my "delivered, but not delivered" claim. I have had to do this several times and usually it is resolved by the next day. The not so funny part was that the guy on the 800 line said it would be sent to my local PO to investigate. Perhaps they want to track incidences like this, but I just spent 2 hours of my time, when I might have had this done in 5 minutes had the local PO answered the damn phone!

It always seems to be something I can't stand to lose too. I actually got one package yesterday and would not have cared 1 bit if it had gone lost, aside from the normal mild frustration of losing something anytime. It was 3 1986 Topps rack packs that I spent more for shipping than the items themselves. Why can't they lose or misplace things like that? It always has to be that irreplaceable item!!!

So, no delivery today and no call or email from USPS yet either. I am going to be so massively pissed if this gets lost. I even checked with my neighbor who has nearly the same address, literally one of us is Place, the other Street. Same neighborhood, different cul-de-sacs:

XXXX YYth Pl SE
XXXX YYth St SE

I hope that rather than share this card soon in my Dodger autograph thread, that I don't have to share this card as a MIA candidate. I already lost some signed cards earlier this year. How many F-Ups should one postal customer expect and have to experience from the USPS in a single year's time? If you count the number of items shown delivered that weren't that required me to call and file a claim, I am probably close to double digits for 2020!! It's first world problems, but damn...it still hurts.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I had a first yesterday. One of the packages I got today was scanned in at a post office location near my house that closed in 1982. It did time travel back to my regular local post office this morning and make its way to my mailbox though.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Big one was delivered yesterday, thankfully. Still waiting on one stuck in Kent, WA. It showed no movement between 12/8 and 12/12. On 12/12 it was "processed through USPS facility 98035" 3 times in 3 hours, then no updates. This is not a high-dollar item, just a card I've been chasing for 15 years. I'm sure it'll move at some point, and whining over this stuff is completely ridiculous in the face of real life so I feel bad about it. I just have to wonder what's going on.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Big one was delivered yesterday, thankfully. Still waiting on one stuck in Kent, WA. It showed no movement between 12/8 and 12/12. On 12/12 it was "processed through USPS facility 98035" 3 times in 3 hours, then no updates. This is not a high-dollar item, just a card I've been chasing for 15 years. I'm sure it'll move at some point, and whining over this stuff is completely ridiculous in the face of real life so I feel bad about it. I just have to wonder what's going on.
Kent is pretty close to me. I see some stuff going through there on the way out it seems. The stuff coming in seems to go through Federal Way a lot.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My package jumped from Kent to Dallas yesterday and Austin overnight. Hopefully I'll get it today but probably tomorrow.

Wife and I got the mailman a Visa gift card. I know it's not his fault (though he has done some suspect things over the last year) and they're all under stress. Plus, it was 30 degrees when we woke up today, pure Arctic weather for us. They deserve a little reward. I kept planning to put out cold drinks for him in the summer but somehow never did. We'll get better at that, too.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I'm an eBay seller and I'm having the same issues. I think that the continuing coronavirus pandemic coupled with the holiday season has caused big mail delivery delays. I've noticed the bigger delays especially to the southeast part of the country for items that I've mailed to Alabama, Georgia, Florida etc. Overall, I've tried to hold off on selling higher dollar items until after the New Year.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Package that shipped from Denver on the 2nd, that went to San Francisco and LA, has finally made it back to Denver. It might make it here in time after all! I know it's a completely different service, and we definitely pay for it, but at work I had to send some paperwork down to the Dominican Republic. We sent them via FedEx International Priority Tuesday. They left Tuesday night at 6:30 and were in the DR Wednesday at 4. Less than 24 hours to get there

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Is it not always someone or something else's fault.

Not sure what you meant by that comment but if I mail a package with a destination to Florida and I check the tracking 5 days later and it's all the way across the country in Nevada, is it my fault or is it the fault of an irresponsible postal worker who misdirected my package? The answer to that should be obvious.

Members online

Latest posts