Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Come up of the year! Kobe story time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Recently set up as a dealer at my first card show in Fairfield California which is probably California's biggest card show. Since it was my first show I wanted to get a display case since I did not have one. Searched on Craigslist and found a guy selling one so I hit him up and he said you have to drive to my house to pick it up. It was about a 45 min drive up a steep mountain in the middle of the woods so kinda sketchy but the guy ended up being a really cool artist and the display case was hand built and looked really nice. We hung out for a bit and I told him I buy and sell trading cards. He told me about this auction house that every once in a while auctions off sports cards. This month the auction house happened to be auctioning some cards so I checked it out and found a promising lot. It was a random 13 card Kobe Bryant lot with some what blurry pictures and only pictures of the front of the cards and not the backs. In the very last picture of this lot was a flair showcase row 0 Kobe with the mojo pattern. On the very last day of bidding It was at $32 with 5 minuets to go. I got into a bidding war and bid it up to $316.00 and won. With a 15% buyers premium and tax I paid $390.00. The auction ended yesterday and I just picked it up. Took a deep Breath before I opened the bag of cards not knowing what to expect praying it was real and praying there was a serial number on the back. Low and behold it is real! In amazing shape with the serial number on the back! Not all of the these row 0 cards have the serial number on the back. I live for these kind of adventures. This card is worth about $3000-$4000. I got super lucky took a chance and it paid off. Definitely my biggest come up of the year. Hope you enjoyed my story.

IMG_5251.JPGDSC_5203.JPGDSC_5207.JPG

popguynyc

Feb 11, 2012
Great find.

So how was your first time selling at a card show? What did you discover? Anxious to do it again?
I’m thinking about doing my first show….

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Great find.

So how was your first time selling at a card show? What did you discover? Anxious to do it again?
I’m thinking about doing my first show….
The show went great! I went in not knowing what to expect and just tried to be organized as best I could. I am big on 90's inserts baseball basketball and refractors mostly and attracted that group of collectors which was really cool. Made lots of friends and $. Definitely want to do another show now that I have some experience. Here are some pictures of my table I set up and the room. The show was in a mall inside a shut down forever 21 so it was a huge venue. 2 days. Over 325 tables. 6 feet table cost $125 for 2 days which is what I got.

65911889379__0D749C7E-6935-4E60-8312-69CED386A89A.JPG65911891269__D4F299FB-90BB-4A58-8DE9-C8F18B19088C.JPG65911892336__2BBF8AB6-4197-4BE2-A22A-90358E4CA31C.JPG65911893843__48F38B03-CFF0-4963-BE14-7F28C40B68DF.JPG

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
The show went great! I went in not knowing what to expect and just tried to be organized as best I could. I am big on 90's inserts baseball basketball and refractors mostly and attracted that group of collectors which was really cool. Made lots of friends and $. Definitely want to do another show now that I have some experience. Here are some pictures of my table I set up and the room. The show was in a mall inside a shut down forever 21 so it was a huge venue. 2 days. Over 325 tables. 6 feet table cost $125 for 2 days which is what I got.

View attachment 316691View attachment 316692View attachment 316693View attachment 316694

Any idea when the next Fairfield show is? I'm in SoCal but would gladly make a trip up to the Bay Area for a show this big.

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Any idea when the next Fairfield show is? I'm in SoCal but would gladly make a trip up to the Bay Area for a show this big.
Sometime in March this year not sure on the exact date. Beckett is also going to be there doing live grading and Authenticating Autos!

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Where can I get updates on the next show?
Also check out this website. Two brother's run this page and they do a really good job with keeping an updated list of upcoming shows in California. Link below.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
Recently set up as a dealer at my first card show in Fairfield California which is probably California's biggest card show. Since it was my first show I wanted to get a display case since I did not have one. Searched on Craigslist and found a guy selling one so I hit him up and he said you have to drive to my house to pick it up. It was about a 45 min drive up a steep mountain in the middle of the woods so kinda sketchy but the guy ended up being a really cool artist and the display case was hand built and looked really nice. We hung out for a bit and I told him I buy and sell trading cards. He told me about this auction house that every once in a while auctions off sports cards. This month the auction house happened to be auctioning some cards so I checked it out and found a promising lot. It was a random 13 card Kobe Bryant lot with some what blurry pictures and only pictures of the front of the cards and not the backs. In the very last picture of this lot was a flair showcase row 0 Kobe with the mojo pattern. On the very last day of bidding It was at $32 with 5 minuets to go. I got into a bidding war and bid it up to $316.00 and won. With a 15% buyers premium and tax I paid $390.00. The auction ended yesterday and I just picked it up. Took a deep Breath before I opened the bag of cards not knowing what to expect praying it was real and praying there was a serial number on the back. Low and behold it is real! In amazing shape with the serial number on the back! Not all of the these row 0 cards have the serial number on the back. I live for these kind of adventures. This card is worth about $3000-$4000. I got super lucky took a chance and it paid off. Definitely my biggest come up of the year. Hope you enjoyed my story.

View attachment 316450View attachment 316451View attachment 316452

Wow, beautiful card! It is exciting to get a deal luke that, but also nerve racking knowing it could be fake. Nice pick upà

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona

View attachment 316691View attachment 316692View attachment 316693View attachment 316694

So what did you have to sell? I see you 2 cases but did you also do like a quarter box sale?

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
So what did you have to sell? I see you 2 cases but did you also do like a quarter box sale?
I also had a vintage single baseball box
I had a Vintage baseball box with Topps commons from the 50's and 60's for $1.00 each, a box of Jordan cards and a box of Kobe cards, and I made about 100 basketball grab bags. Did pretty well for my first show. Did not expect to make as much as I did.

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Thanks; I appreciate it!
I talked to the guy who runs the show and he told me April 2-3 but the date is tentative. The venue he usually rents out is being used as a vaccination center for the next 6 months, which is a bummer, so he is looking for another venue. Worst case scenario is it will be a show through out the mall but we will see. These changes have affected whether Beckett will be there or not due to the venue being taken over for 6 months. Will update again once a confirmed date is announced.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
I talked to the guy who runs the show and he told me April 2-3 but the date is tentative. The venue he usually rents out is being used as a vaccination center for the next 6 months, which is a bummer, so he is looking for another venue. Worst case scenario is it will be a show through out the mall but we will see. These changes have affected whether Beckett will be there or not due to the venue being taken over for 6 months. Will update again once a confirmed date is announced.

Thanks! The first weekend of April would be perfect as it would coincide with the A's opening weekend (big A's fan here).

Members online

Latest posts